Resident "car guy" doesn't have the answer

I’m sure a lot of you get this at work. You’re the “car guy” so people expect you to have the answers when they start looking at new cars.

So my co-worker lives in the Falls and commutes here to Williamsville every day. 190, GI bridge, 290, 990, Audobon gets him within a block of our office. In addition to his commute he’s constantly running around in town because of his kids, wife, elderly mother etc. Right now he’s got a Chysler minivan with a lot of miles and it’s time to get something new. He asks me what I think about hybrids.

His reasoning is that he drives a lot and gas prices aren’t likely to ever go down. Now he’s a BIG guy, he doesn’t fit well in my GTO and sure isn’t going to fit in a Prius/Civic. He’s thinking about an Escape, but I’m not sure how well he’ll fit in that to be honest, but that’s what he’s thinking about. He plans to buy it, and basically own it until repairs start making him think it’s not worth it anymore. Aka, drive it into the ground.

My concerns.

1. The battery. Told him to find out how long the warranty was since he was going to keep the car a long time.
  2. A lot of his driving is highway, where hybrids aren’t much better than conventional cars. The 2008 EPA guidelines are causing all cars to take a hit in MPG, around 5%, but hybrid’s ratings are taking something closer to 20%. It was as if they built the hybrid to ace the old EPA test loop while ignoring the real world.

The pluses.

1. His in town trips should get much better mileage.
  2. A tax credit for the hybrid (told him to look into how much it is).
  3. The more gas goes up, the more a small savings over a conventional car adds up.

What are your opinions?

the hybrid escape doesnt have that great of gas mileage… its more of an emissions thing…

why not consider something diesel?

get a diesel

If not a deisel, have him look into like a saturn green line vue maybe :gotme:

Well, the Ford warranty on the hybrid components is 8 years, 100k, so that’s not bad.

How many diesels can you even get in NYS now?

and the right off.

How big of a guy are we talking 6’6 300 or 5’8 400, etc.

I really liked the feel of a 2005 Ford Escape I sat in, the interior was comfy.
I’m 5’10 220lbs so it def would change if he was a very large guy.

My step dad is like 6’4-6’5 ish (however hes skinny) and he doesn’t feel comfy in any car but our 06 Tahoe.

I guess it comes down to if he fits in it properly.
Def have him find out about the battery warranty as I’ve heard they are a bitch to replace $$$$. I can’t really think of any other hybrid suv’s, sounds like he def needs one though.

it is if he drives 25k a year… better look into that replacing a battery before the car is paid off woudl SUUUUCK

hybrids don’t get mileage on the hwy thats any better than anything else. get him a TDi. If he’s set on a hybrid, get him the Lexus RX300h (or 400h or whatever it is)

That’s write off…

I second the motion for the TDi.

The hybrids are too hot right now, too much demand, and too high resale value on them, and too expensive.

I’d buy a four cylinder escape or vue and call it a day.

thank you, never had this key board thing on the farm, if he wants TDI wait till 08

from what i remember off the top of my head…the tax credit really isnt even worth it anymore. it lessened over a couple of years. as for the hybrid issue. my vote is for tdi or some other ecno"ish" box (or suv). as long as you dont get into negative equity really quick, you could always just trade in or sell if you pick something that has a decent resale value (read: Honda, etc). i really dont think any hybrid is worth it though unless you love trees. TDi or bust.

tdi or if he wants space wait a year and buy a used diesel grand cherokee

Saturn Vue V6
Honda engine 250 ish HP and decent gas mileage

http://www.lexus.com/models/GSh/

camry hybrid. my friends mom commutes from pittsburgh to hamburg on the weekends. she loves it and gets decent gas mileage. its a decent size as well.

I was thinking Camry hybrid as well. Going to run the diesel idea past him tomorrow and see what he says.

The guy drives a chysler minivan, and is looking at Escapes… Lexus is not in his vocabulary.

Didn’t realize they pulled the plug on the Liberty diesel.
http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoinsider/11209/jeep-liberty-diesel-discontinued.html

Yes, the VUE is a cool car, and it rocks the j35a2 :wink:

Hybrids are stupid… the write off doesnt even pay for the premium cost of the hybrid, they are going to be hard to sell used (depending on how long is left on the warranty) because noone wants to pay for batteries.

Can EMT’s still not use the jaws of life on them for fear of being electrocuted?

Wait till 08 Model diesels come out… should be seeing them from a whole bunch of manufacturers.