$4.00 a gallon FU V. Good DD that's reliable, comfortable and good on gas

Ok, so gas is almost $4 a gallon, I need to buy another vehicle, so I came to you lovely nyspeeders for advice. Max I want to spend is 5-6k, AWD is a bonus, but being reliable and good on gas is most important to me. I don’t know much about BMWs, Audi’s or VW’s, I’d like the car to be a nicer car though. I’d like the vehicle to always get around 20+mpg during mixed driving, so doesn’t have to be super amazing on gas, manual or auto.

Thanks

just buy a civic

I’ve been told that too, why does it seem people want so much for them, I feel like I can get a more “interesting” car for what a decent civic goes for. I’m interested in bmws and audi’s but idk if there is a reliable one to go for?

not for 6k, and its awd. u can get a decent civic for under 5k.

look for, 4door 92-95 civics, 96-98 4 door civics, and 01^ civics

b5 a4 can be had at that price range. 540i for 6-7k if you look hard enough.

I started looking for a good gas mileage car and I ended up with a 270 HP V6 Acura TL. don’t follow my advice lol

I wish I could consider that good gas mileage for me lol. I don’t think I could survive with a car that got less than 30 MPG right now.

good gas mileage is all relative to how much/far you drive. I drive 5 miles a day for work so a car that gets 20mpg mixed is fine for me.

I drive 13 miles each way to work, so around 26miles per day mon-fri in my full size suv, it gets like 13mpg lol, I just want it to be nice reliable and comfortable, leather seats hopefully.

A sunroof for fist pumping would prolly be a plus too

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?219486-2003-CHEVY-CAVALIER-68-000-MILES-MANUAL-CLEAN-TITLE-2-DOOR-WILL-ONLY-TRADE-FOR-TRUCK

AWD, decent mpg, nicer car, $5-6k… I bet you didn’t realize that the car for you is a 1999-2002 Volvo V70 XC.

If I were you I’d be looking for a Civic/Sentra/Corolla. You can get a nice clean one of those for $5-6k, or a 15 year old Audi/BMW. Don’t get a $5-6k VW unless you like fixing something every weekend. Judging by your sig you’ve got a nice F body for a toy. Get something you can pile the miles on without ever thinking about it. I once had a car that got 40 mpg and was appliance-reliable (1993 Sentra). I miss that care more than the nicer ones I’ve owned.

You could get a late 90s early 2000s audi a4 for under 5k. I personally plan on gettimg a TDI jetta in a couple months

http://www.nyspeed.com/forumdisplay.php?394-Swiderski-Motorcar

Check there in the next day or two. Or even better call tomorrow. He has quite a few cars that are not listed just yet that fit what you are looking for.

the extra premium that tdi’s are getting almost dont even make it worth it unless you find a sweet deal.

Buy my talon when I sell it. I’m getting about 20MPG and it’s faster than your summer car.

FS: My 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi, fully loaded, every option, pano roof, nav, ect,ect 15,500miles. $28,000
I’ll take $6k down and $550/month for 48months. You can finance through me.
Buy this so I can buy a Lexus CT hybrid.

hahaha,

No but really, doesn’t BMW or Audi making something reliable, I am most likely going to have to finance a vehicle again :frowning: Rather have something kinda nice, VW is fine with me too. Impreza’s, they are pretty reliable right? AWD would be a plus, I just don’t know what year of a paticular brand I should be looking at.

What are the weakness’s for the Audi’s, BMW’s and VW’s?

26 x 5days x 52 weeks a year = 6760miles a year. Not really that much. So lets assume you hit somewhere around 13500 a year miles.

13500/13mpg = 1038 gallons of gas.

13500/22mpg = 613 gallons of gas.

@ 4.50/gal, you’re saving $1912 a year. So in 3.13 YEARS you BREAK EVEN.

But wait, there’s more. Tell him what’s behind door number 2.

You said “another” vehicle, meaning you’re keeping your truck. So now you’re paying insurance on two vehicles, registration on two vehicles, and upkeep on two vehicles. Oh, and lets not forget you’re looking at 5k-6k luxury cars so there’s a good chance that upkeep could be substantial. Plus, a lot of them are going to want premium fuel. Yeah you could run regular and the computer will adjust but you’ll get less power and less MPG, further cutting into your “savings”. And you mentioned financing, so you’ll be paying interest.

Bottom line, you’ll be lucky if you EVER even break even on this plan, let alone actually save money.

STOP WITH YOUR LOGIC AND NUMBERS!