Hybrids - cost of ownership

Well I guess my arguements were off for savings due to tax rebates and equipment levels. To sum it up it takes about 4 years in gas savings to make up premium on hybrid prices. This is with current gas prices which most likely will increase in the upcoming years. - Article on AOL Autos on Cost of Hybrids

Trying to calculate how long it will take you to recoup your up-front premium when buying the Prius is problematic, because there is nothing to compare it to. The Prius only comes as a hybrid, so you can’t compare it to, say, “a V6 gas-only version” of the Prius. The Prius’s MSRP is $20,950 - $23,220, depending on level of equipment, and has a fuel economy rating of 48/45/46 (city/hwy/combined).

However, it is possible to compare a Toyota Camry Hybrid to a “regular Camry.”
http://cdn.digitalcity.com/ch_autos/camry_012408kn
The Camry Hybrid is powered by a 4-cylinder engine, but for comparison purposes, Toyota spokesman John McCandless claims that, “if you take into account the equipment level of the Camry hyrid – and that it has the performance of a V-6 – the best apples-to-apples comparison is to compare the hybrid to a V-6 Camry LE. Those base prices are less than $2,000 apart – $23,640 for the Camry V6 LE, vs. $25,000 for the Hybrid.”

Toyota reports that the Camry Hybrid’s fuel economy rating is 33 mpg city/34 mpg highway. Meanwhile, the Camry V6 gets 21/31 mpg, city/hwy.

For purposes of comparison, McCandless used a combined fuel economy rating, splitting the difference between highway and city mileage.

“So if you drive 15,000 miles a year, and you buy the Hybrid version, you’ll be using about 454 gallons a year,” says McCandless. “Meanwhile, if you get the V6 LE, you’ll be burning 635 gallons a year. At $3.20 a gallon, that’s a fuel-cost saving of about $547 a year. So it should take you three or four years to recoup the up-front premium you paid to buy the Hybrid. Plus, you get the satisfaction that you are easing the emission imprint on the planet.”

http://cdn.digitalcity.com/ch_autos/civic_012408kn
Another popular hybrid on the road is the Honda Civic Hybrid, which can be purchased for even less than the Camry Hybrid. The MSRP of the regular Civic with the 4-cylinder gas engine ranges from $14,810 - $29,500, while the Civic Hybrid’s MSRP is a flat $22,600. So, in the case of the Civic, the calculations will depend on what trim level and features you order if you go with the regular Civic 4-cylinder. The Civic Hybrid’s fuel economy rating is 45 mpg hwy/40 mpg city compared to 34/26 for the regular Civic.

“The Civic EX [AT] has an MSRP of $19,510 and gets 29 mpg in the EPA combined cycle,” says Martin. "The Civic Hybrid has an MSRP of $22,600 and gets 42 mpg in the combined cycle. That’s an MSRP price difference of $3,090, and a mileage difference of 13 mpg.

“At an of assumed gas price of $3.20/gallon for 15,000 miles/year, it would ordinarily take a little over 6 years to pay back that difference,” he continued. “However, the Civic Hybrid still qualifies for a $1,050 federal tax credit until June. That credit can bring the price difference between the two trim levels to only $2,040. Taking that into account, using the same cost per gallon and 15,000 miles/year, it would only take 3.98 years to pay back the difference.”

“The MSRP of the regular Civic with the 4-cylinder gas engine ranges from $14,810 - $29,500”

WTF 29,500 for a civic???

id think Si with all the bells and whistles?

Yeah that doesnt seem right

lol wow who’d pay that! I’d rather have a used M3 for 30k or even a C5 vette or a 03-04 cobra!

I could only get the price to 27,500 totally accessorized out

My 2008 Civic Si Sedan
Civic Si with Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ and Summer Tires Manual Transmission http://automobiles.honda.com/images/trans.gif
Base MSRP*:$23,260Destination & Handling:http://automobiles.honda.com/images/trans.gif$635MSRP including selected accessories:http://automobiles.honda.com/images/trans.gif$27,571http://automobiles.honda.com/images/tools/build-price/tally_separator.gifSelected Accessories (installation costs not included):Wheel Locks$55Door-Edge Guard$71Car Cover$230Full Nose Mask$158Moonroof Visor$138Front Under Spoiler$356Rear Under Spoiler$356Side Under Spoiler$601Fog Lights$332Cargo Net$46All-Season Floor Mats$117Trunk Tray$107Auto D/n Mirror W/ Compass$234Auto D/n Mirror Attachment$50Interior Gauge Trim Kit$2448 Disc Cd Changer$444Cd Changer Attachment$137

This is a new and earth shattering concept.

Guess what? Macs cost more than PCs.

93 Octane costs more than 87.

Highlife can be had for $10/30 pack.

Ferraris move you just as effectively at the speed limit as a Camry.

and whoever would pay almost 30k for a civic should be smacked!

30,135 for the mugen civic

What are these hybrids getting in real world MPG? I know the EPA test was recently changed to make it more like real world driving, but I haven’t seen much for real world numbers from the hybrids.

motortrend did an article comparing the hybrid camry, malibu and something else where they gave the exact MPG that they experienced. still looking for it but found this for the time being.

www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/chevrolet/malibu/hybrid_sedan/882/comparisons/index.html

they compared the aura not the malibu

Sweet I’d like to see how many 25K+ plus civics they sell, and who actually bought them.

From left to right altima hybrid, aura, Camry Hybrid

MT observed fuel econ 37.1 mpg 33.7 mpg 38.5 mpg
Quarter mile 15.4 sec @ 92.3 mph 17.7 sec @ 81.4 mph 15.9 sec @ 89.1 mph

33.7 /= 38.5 ,

when you look at the power to weight and then the quarter miles something just seems amiss lol. the aura is also much cheap than both models its compared to. actually i just realized the electric motor power rating. GM needs to step it up

Power (SAE net) 158 hp (gas)/40 hp (elec)/198 hp (comb) 164 hp (gas)/5 hp (elec)/164 (comb) 147 hp (gas)/40 hp (elec)/187 hp (comb)
Torque (SAE net) 162 lb-ft (gas)/199 lb-ft (elec) 159 lb-ft (gas)/111 lb-ft (elec) 138 lb-ft (gas)/199 lb-ft (elec)

Base Price $25,615 $22,695 $26,860
Price As Tested $31,145 $23,070 $28,289

With a recession and election in the same year with Al Gore getting daily headlines you just might see more tax incentives for hybrid cars.

Another thing to consider is gas prices in world wide recession.
Will prices drop?
What then is your payback for buying a car that makes you feel good?
I guess what I am saying is that there are many variables to try to guess at.

Driving less takes $0 investment and is the best[environmental] solution right now.

Maybe I should think twice about picking up an AWD 6.0 Denali that gets 16mpgs hwy…

could always go for the hybrid…GREEN VEHICLE OF THE YEAR!! lol. how the hell does SUV and GREEN really go together?

the problem for most people in WNY is that they don’t do enough stop and go - city and congested traffic driving, and that’s really where the hybrids shine.