Honda Civic Hybrid

What do you think? Is it worth it to go hybrid? or should i wait?

i’d wait. unless you drive a ton every year, idthink you’d make your money back in savings for the intial bump in price.

aren’t honda hybirds kinda torquey for… well… hybrids???

if you’re looking for a high-MPG beater, Honda will have the Fit and Toyota will have the Vitz here in the spring. Both 50+ mpg for about $11k, w/o all the expensive hybrid tech.

in the first year of owning the car i have driving 25000 miles… I have to use premium gas, lets take the average being 2.80 per gallon and i probably on average between city and highway get like 22mpg.

So i spent approximately 3181 dollars in gas this year alone. If i get a hybrid I almost could cut that number in half guestimating that I will get approximately 44mpg.

thats a pretty big chunk of change over a few years.

shalerpunk, I do not want anything small… I am not even sure if those cars you suggested are small but i I would prefer a 4 door sedan style

another thing, i believe their is a tax credit for some energy bill if you use a hybrid car… anyone know anything about it?

edit: got the answer

http://hybridcars.about.com/od/news/a/hybridtaxcredit.htm

lexus hybrid suv.

do you have any sense of reading or comprehension? that would get the same gas mileage i get with my jetta… how is that better or cost saving?

you said you didn’t want anything small. hondas are small cars

accord hybrid :bigthumb:

the new civic hybrid that comes out in the next few months…its supposed to have a little more power…or at least from the electic motor…up to 20hp from 13(i think)

also i read something like instead of the normal shutting off @ lights, stops etc…it will switch over to electric power during crusing speeds.

hybrads are worth it if you do most of your driving in the city stop and go wise

kanaut has the lexus suv hybrid and it gets 31 mpg in the city

fixed

walk.

I was just looking at the new honda’s last night and the civics look really nice. I would rock one. you can even get navi and voice activated stereo

edit: here is the site to check out all the new civic features:
http://automobiles.honda.com/civics/index.aspx?From=%20newcivic.honda.com

you answered your own question. looks like a buy to me

accord hybrid specs:

TRIM LEVEL
Starting MSRP
Hybrid
$30,140

Engine Type V6

Engine Block/Cylinder Head Aluminum-Alloy

Displacement (cc) 2997

Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net / with IMA) 240 @ 6250 / 255 @ 6000

Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm / with IMA) 212 @ 5000 / 232 @ 5000

Bore and Stroke (mm) 86.0 x 86.0

Compression Ratio 10.5 : 1

Valve Train 24-Valve SOHC i-VTEC®

Multi-Point Fuel Injection Standard

Drive-by-Wire Throttle System™ Standard

Idle-Stop Feature Standard

Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM™) Standard

Active Control Engine Mount System (ACM) Standard

Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) Standard

CARB Emissions Rating ULEV-2

Direct Ignition System with Immobilizer Standard

Tune-Up Interval* 105,000 Miles

ENGINEERING: TRANSMISSION

TRIM LEVEL
Starting MSRP
Hybrid
$30,140

Compact 5-Speed Automatic Transmission Standard

ENGINEERING: ELECTRIC MOTOR / GENERATOR

TRIM LEVEL
Starting MSRP
Hybrid
$30,140

Permanent Magnet Motor Standard

Power Output 16hp

Motor Width (mm) 68

ENGINEERING: ELECTRIC POWER STORAGE

TRIM LEVEL
Starting MSRP
Hybrid
$30,140

Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) Battery Standard

Output 13.8Kw

Rated Capacity 6.0Ah

ENGINEERING: BODY/SUSPENSION/CHASSIS

TRIM LEVEL
Starting MSRP
Hybrid
$30,140

Unit-Body Construction Standard

Double Wishbone Front Suspension Standard

Five-Link Double Wishbone Rear Suspension Standard

Stabilizer Bar (mm., front/rear) 25.4 / 14.0

Electric Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering (EPS) Standard

Steering Wheel Turns, Lock-to-Lock 3.17

Steering Ratio 16.25

Turning Diameter, Curb-to-Curb (ft.) 36.1

Power-Assisted Ventilated Front Disc/Solid Rear Disc Brakes Standard

Wheels 16" Lightweight Alloy

All-Season Tires P215/60 R16

when i said small i meant hatch back… a honda is not much smaller then the jetta I am rocking right now.

after reading about the large tax incentive, I think i am going to plan to buy one in 06… it just makes sense

definitely buy the '06 model… I looked at an '06 Civic yesterday and it is leaps and bounds nicer than the 01-05 model. i talked to a guy at Baierl about an Insight… I’m seriously considering it. 60-70mpg = teh win.

My perants got one about 1-2 months ago, before that we had a 04 ranger that got no better then 14mpg, the civic gets about 40mpg. This is the last year for the goverments incentive of $2,000 if you buy a hybrid car. I drove the car, and i like it.

The smart car gets like 70mpg+ and i think you can get those already.

Interesting shit about the new civic hybrid…

Civic Hybrid: Cooperative Regenerative Brake System
Hybrid-powered vehicles recapture kinetic energy via regenerative braking and store this energy as electricity in rechargeable battery packs. The Civic Hybrid is no different, as its IMA electric motor also acts as a generator that can recharge its battery pack during braking, steady cruising, gentle deceleration, or coasting.

New for 2006, a cooperative regenerative braking system debuts on the Civic Hybrid with the added capability to intelligently proportion braking power between the hydraulic brakes and the electric motor to extract even more electricity from the vehicle’s kinetic energy. Less reliance on the traditional braking system and reduced engine pumping losses translate into greater electrical regeneration (170 percent more than the 2005 Civic Hybrid) and ultimately improved fuel economy. When braking, a brake pedal sensor sends a signal to the vehicle’s IMA computer (IPU). The computer activates a servo unit in the brake system’s master cylinder that proportions braking power between the traditional hydraulic brakes and the electric motor to maximize regeneration. Previous versions of Honda’s IMA systems proportioned braking power at a pre-set rate below the maximum regeneration threshold and with no variable proportioning.

I thought that was kinda cool. Also you can now get a hybrid loaded with all the exact same options as a EX or Si which is definally makes it a better buy. A buddy of mine works at a Honda dealer he drove the 06’s around already. He said the drive by wire seems to hang up a bit when you shift, but the car is worlds ahead of the previous civics. The accord is a little on the expensive side but I also hear the hybrid is the fastest Accord in the lineup. Again all depends on what you want, i’d probaly go for the civic its seems to be the best all around. Some random info on the hybrid motor if you want to check it out.
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?page_number=5&article_id=396999