Overrated Hybrid Gas milage... the numbers aren't good

Did a search… didn’t find this…

Interesting find. When the EPA tells us the gas milage on a hybrid it’s not under any real conditions.:tdown:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/28/eveningnews/consumer/main620265.shtml

Now there is no reason to buy these cars. EDIT Not that there ever was one. :wink:

Rofl 32 MPG, I get that out of my shitty old turblo probe in the city. Haha

[quote]While the EPA rated the Honda Civic hybrid at 47 miles per gallon in the city, consumer reports got just 26 miles per gallon. The EPA rated the Toyota Prius at 60 miles per gallon in the city.

“We actually got 35, so it’s a big difference,” says Champion.

Why the difference?
/quote]

thats bull shit if i bought a prius and was told i would get 60mpg then a better damn well get it! i get better milage than what my SHO was rated at and some hybrids get half of their rating, i would be bitching to someone thats for sure.

serously what is the point in driving a slow pig if your not even going to get sweet milage?

Besides the point that you are paying more for the car to begin with. There is no reason right now to get one… I’ve said that sincec the beginning.

And on top of that, cars with a shelf-life suck. Those disposal fees are going to be brutal when it’s time to junk it.

~10mpg daily driver 4L

I can’t imagine the waste involved with producing them is less than the waste a comparable Civic or Corolla produces over a hybrid in 10 years of driving.

So I’m going to overcompensate and buy a Tahoe.

Good idea

You guys should read Car and Driver sometime instead of listening to the liberal douche channel… Oops, I mean CNN.

Car and Driver has been talking about what overblown hype hybrids are for a while now. Even driving like a little old lady and doing everything they could to stretch mileage they could not match the EPA claims.

Turbo > Electric

Gives the best of both worlds, economy at low speeds. Power at high speeds.

screw hybrid… just watched a show on suger last nite… brazil is doing some crazy things for fuel these days :eek:

You guys do realize that Hybrids were not designed with gas mileage in mind right?? I’m being trained by Toyota right now and they even teach us that the whole reason they developed them is because of environmental reasons like low emissions. Like every 1 prius Toyota sells they can sell like 5 Tundras. And on stop and go driving only, they can get great gas mileage. We got to drive one around all day taking turns around the area and we averaged 52mpg stop and go. On the highway yes the gas engine has to kick on because theres no regenerative braking to charge up the high voltage battery pack. People who buy them only for the gas mileage reason are retarded. People who buy them to save the environment are crazy tree huggers. Personally I would never get one, but they do have some sweet features like not having to put a key in the ignition, you can just leave it in your pocket.

You make an excellent point, which I thank you for bringing to this thread because it keeps it from turning into everyone bitching back and forth… for now anyways, I just think that they should advertise that since there is that significant difference between stop and go driving and thruway driving.

I don’t know much about Hybrid cars but they should make more than just braking something that regenerates power. How about the spinning of the wheels… the up and down of the windows… I dunno… lol.

I think Boomin99GT makes an excellent point. I just wish it was advertised this way. Then again they wouldn’t sell if that’s how it was advertised.:shrug:

Yeah, pissin away money on a pos DD is sweet. :bloated:

as for pollution, ethanol creates just as much pollution as the sugar crop would decaying over time… and its refining process doesn’t hurt the environment NEARLY as much as oil refinement does… ethanol is already way cleaner than gasoline, and its less than 1/3 the price…

other random facts i remembered:
the show went on to say that henry ford ment to run the model T on ethenol, but finally turned to gas because it was much cheaper…

and in brazil its a requirement that fuel stations carry both types gas/eth

cool

Honda Civic GX which runs on compressed natural gas (CNG). The only caveat is whether there are refuelling stations near you (you can also lease a home fueling station, but installation can cost one or two thousand even after the $2000 rebate).

Some highlights:

The EPA declared the natural-gas Honda Civic GX to be the cleanest internal-combustion vehicle on Earth

85% of the natural gas is domestically produced, the remaining 15% comes from Canada (so no one is killing or being killed trying to secure the supply, unless you count polar bear attacks in Canada)

in California you can ride in the carpool lane by yourself

fuel costs $1.58/gallon equivalent

Civic GX hydrocarbon emissions tested at one-tenth the ultra-low-emission vehicle (ULEV) standard

you don’t have to pay for parking meters in Los Angeles, Santa Monica, and other cities

Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)

$2000 federal tax deduction

Grade Logic Control (the automatic transmission reacts more intelligently to hills, stop-go traffic, etc.)

In highly polluted areas, the air coming out of the GX’s exhaust pipe can actually be cleaner than the air you are breathing.

If driven from California to Washington, DC, the Honda Civic GX natural-gas vehicle would emit fewer reactive hydrocarbons than that released by spilling a single teaspoon of gasoline.

^^^ ive always wanted to build a cng powered big block turbocharged classic car

that way a “15mpg” high HP cng car would cost just as much to drive as a 30 mpg gas burner :slight_smile:

If driven from California to Washington, DC, the Honda Civic GX natural-gas vehicle would emit fewer reactive hydrocarbons than that released by spilling a single teaspoon of gasoline.

Damn.

I will buy a hybrid when they start running on water. Until then…fossil fuel for life…or until it runs out.

as it turns out… fossil fuels may not be fossil fuels at all. Alot of Scientists claim that it’s renewable/plentiful despite what oil companies say.