Car Audio Noob Needs Help

Hello everyone, now that I actually have my first car, I’m looking to drop some cash into it and give it a nice sound system, not anything crazy but rather a modest but high quality system. Unfortunately I have no idea what I am doing, I don’t know what I need, what I don’t, what I should get, what I shouldn’t, this is all very new to me, can anyone help me out?

dont do it. do not make the audio system worth more than the car… especially not the car you bought…!

what kind of car is it?

when i had a 95 neon i didn’t want to put a sub in it cuz the car was slow enough as it was and i actually use my trunk, so i spent $300 on a new system which included a head unit, 2 front door speakers, and 2 6x9’s in the rear. the combination sounded great for car audio and it was cheap, and i sold it all for around 250 when i got rid of that car. it was a pioneer dehp3600, bazooka 6x9’s, and xtreme bass 6.5’s w/ swivel tweeters in the front. good enough for what i wanted and i have never heard of those speakers before. my buddy has them in his 98 intrepid now and loves them.

car audio is you get what you pay for.
i would find a pioneer deck you like seeing they are pretty indistruckable, (i cant spell)
alpine’s 12in type R subwoofer in a VENTED box not ported or bandpass
i would get a decent amp, anything name brand will do. alpine/rockford fosgate/hifonics/kicker/crossfire.
dont cheap out on amp wire and dont be lazy on running it you’ll pay for it later
for componts ( doors & rear speakers ) infinity/clarion/better pioneer/kicker ect
stay away from sony explode ( wonder what it does? )
check out crutchfield for info and brands but search ebay or other stores you will find things a lot cheaper
as for wire rounting and sub wiring
rockfordfosgate.com has a wire wizard in the support section

its a 2001 chevy prizm, i was looking on circuitcity and they have all kinds of decks for $100 and free installation as well as pioneer subs that are buy one get one free for $70, so then i was gonna get an amp and new speakers. Since its an 01 and i’ll keep it for awhile i think its worth getting better audio seeing as it doesn’t even have a tape deck right now.

:picard:

Normally i’d be less friendly at such a remark but your car is gorgeous, you sir, have very good taste…thats probably not much of a compliment from a kid like me but still, that s4 is awesome

back to the thread, can anyone actually help like KuntryQuestTSi and Joe_Omerta have been?

like i said get a deck, and hell look into powered subs. everything you need is right there plug in and your set. will richen up your sound system. and wait till you have your deck put in and paly with the audio controls you may be please with more power to stock speakers

Dont buy those pioneer subs… IMO they sound like ass. dont cheap out on anything in car audio. as some one else said. you get what you pay for. and honestly this is not the BEST way of calculating… but really the best stuff your going to pay about a dollar a watt.

example 2400 watt legacy amp for 150 bucks… = it actually puts out closer to 150 rms and not 2400.

example 750.1 kicker amp for 500 bucks= more towards what you just paid in RMS wattage

also a 100 dollar pioneer will do but you REALLY want 2-3 sets of outputs. Recomended one with sub controll. look at pioneers 3900 and up.

Please… do tell, what is the difference between Vented and Ported?

ok i’ve been speaking with some friends and the set up is going to be a set of 4 kicker speakers for $100(its not the best but they’ll do til I can afford something higher quality), then another friend who does car audio for a living says he can get me a set of subs and an amp that will “blow my ears off” for $120, past that i’m just gonna buy housing for the subs, wiring, and a pioneer head. Like i said i’m not interested in an amazing system, i just want a system, right now all i have is a radio with no cd or tape deck and four shitty speakers

Yes please do tell since there is no difference what do you think a ported box is

o really? i didnt say ported now did i?
VENTED is slots that run inside the box to more less make the box work
BANDPASS is cheap crapy thing ordered off ebay, easy to blow subs and not as easy to note distortion to tune properly.
vented - what you cant see is the vents follow along the side and 1/2 across the back off the box

bandpass - note the holes. siqqqq
http://www0.shopping.com/xPO-Q_Logic_Q_Logic_Qb_110_3_10_Single_Bandpass_Subwoofer_Box

here ya go
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/showthread.php?t=280758&highlight=bandpass

think what you want

please make sure your car dont rattle like crap and turn your music down in respect to ppl walking with kids and neighborhoods

lmao. Your mad siqq with the car audio skills son

You still didn’t answer the question… you showed what a “Vented” enclosure Vs a Bandpass is;

Now show your mighty knowledge and tell me what the difference between a “Vented” and “Ported” enclosure is seeing you said to use a vented and not ported!!!

What music do you listen to? Please god do not get those pioneer subs

Vented and Ported are the same thing, they are both bass reflex enclosures. “Vented” is common term used when using a bass reflex enclosure in which the face of the port is rectangular, and usually uses 3 sides of the enclosure as walls for the port. “Ported” is a common term when using a circular port tube. F3 is calculated the same same way in both styles, cause its the same thing.

If you think bandpass is cheap and ebay junk, I would suggest brushing up on your box design skills. Properly designed 3rd, 4th, and 6th order boxes can be very impressive in the car audio world.

[quote=KuntryQuestTSi;703742 in a VENTED box not ported or bandpass
[/quote]

You imply that vented is different than ported which it is not the link that you show first is a ported box right cool the second one is a bandpass cool we got that in effect if you accually know how a bandpass works you would know that its not just some cheap crappy think that you get off ebay. If tuned properly it is the most efficent of all box types and will get the loudest however it will have a small frequency range o and btw a bandpass box is baically like a sealed box inside of a ported box well a forth order bandpass anyway so accually if you want to get technical then both a ported and bandpass box are considered “vented”

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/boxes.htm

The most complex design of the common enclosures is a band pass system. The purpose of the band pass system is increased efficiency over a small range of frequencies. This design also helps filter out unwanted midbass and upper frequencies. There are variations on the band pass design known as orders. The simplest design is the single reflex (4th order) in which a woofer in a sealed enclosure fires into a vented enclosure.

Exactly, but I was trying to get him to realize that he is a dumbass with what he said.

Any enclosure is junk if it’s not properly designed and constructed; both car and home audio.