Need help specing Car Audio :)

Hello…

I’ve been kicking around the idea for a while and i’ve decided the 6.5" speakers just aren’t doing it for me anymore. i have to replace my after market amp anyway (and probably a speaker or two), and decided i want to add a 10" sub.

i’m going to be using this box:

http://subthump.com/images/camaro/stealth/102a1.jpg

it fits a 10" sub and is 9" deep.

problem is i know VERY LITTLE about car audio stuff, with amps and so on. so i need help specing out an amp, sub, cables, etc. I DONT WANT AN OVER THE TOP, EXPENSIVE SYSTEM. i just want something subtle, minimal bulk (amp/wiring), but CLEAN sounding with some thump. i had (actually still have the sub and box) a JL Audio 12w0 in my truck years ago, and that fit the bill perfect. unfortunately this box will only fit a 10", so i can’t use it.

This is what I have:

-Stock GM Monsoon CD player
-(4) Polk db651 6.5" Coaxials in the doors and sail panels
-(2) Whatever stock monsoon little guys in the rear panels
-I HAD some amp that i guess i needed for the aftermarket speakers because they wouldnt work with the factory amp…?
-Also have various cabling (some of it i had to cut from the fire) and wiring (tapped into factory radio harness)

What i NEED:

-Clean, yet budget 10" sub. would like to keep it in the $125ish range depending on the cost of the other stuff
-amp that can handle the sub, and my other speakers that will agree with my stock radio
-whatever wiring

:slight_smile: thanks

you might like this one, and you’ll be under budget

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=106

people seem too really like it in the reviews :tup: thanks for the tip. have you heard one of these?

trade your clubs for my 2 10’s… in really good condition in a box.?

kenwood tornado series. used for less than a season, then my radio got jacked.

no, but I’ve always wanted to… I’m considering their 7" sub for the ski pass through on my bmw.

this little f*cker looks like a tank:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/logos/700_logo.gif

I have 2 10in type R’s in my mustang, they sound great. I’m pushing them with a 400w alpine amp. Actually I might go to a single box.
I also have 2 kenwood tornado series 10in kenwoods in single truck boxes I got from mindless.
your welcome to hear/ try either

thanks guys…

i didnt even notice it, but the box manufacturer actually recommends ED subs. ive been reading a lot of reviews, and that sounds like the winner. i’ll either get the suggested model, or the next step up.

NEXT on the list is the amp. one quick question; like i said i cut my main cables, but i most likely have enough slack to make it to the rear seats, where i will likely mount the amp. i can put new ends on the cables right?

now i just need an amp spec’d. i’ll have to find out what speakers the factory amp still controls. IN GENERAL, WHAT BRANDS USUALLY HAVE GOOD DEALS ON QUALITY AMPS?

come listen to what i have bill, its clean and was reasonable.

I just put two of these bad boys in yesterday and they are awesome. I am powering them with the stock Monsoon amp and it seriously sounds like I have a 10" in the back.

Definitely recommended for the price.

Do yourself a favor a get a new head unit. That Monsoon one sucks and I noticed a huge difference even before I put my aftermarket speakers in.

I bought this radio:

There is a $50 mail in rebate for it if you buy before the 29th…awesome radio and the SRS surround feature sounds great. Not to mention, it will probably make the wiring a lot cleaner as you won’t have to splice the factory wiring going to the Monsoon amp.

:tup: nice…

and yes - you can terminate the ends… I bet if you’re ordering from ED they’ll even throw a couple in for almost nothing if you tell them what you did. their customer service is meant to be insane.

I advice you to go with the cheaper sub and get a better amp with a high RMS that will match the sub. a better amp will have more control over the sub and really give a nice clean sound instead of that farting crap you hear when people hook two 12s up to some ghetto amp with an advertised 1,000,000 PEAK power.

check out there amps. Keep it all eD

Talk to Kee Audio (ls1tech spsr) he really knows his stuff especially when it comes to fbodies.

thanks guys…

one thing that im pretty persistent on that most people picard me about is that i really kinda want to keep my factory head unit. something about me just doesn’t like aftermarket faceplates in f-bodies.

but if worse comes to worst, i do have my alpine mp3 player from my old truck laying around. we’ll see. im willing to sacrifice some sound quality to keep the stocker

look into a JL cleansweep, RF 3sixty or Pheriphial (sp) piece for a OEM integration processor if you really want to keep the stock headunit and want good sound.

this is the one i have btw:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/500/h500cda9811-fp.jpg

I agree, a lot of aftermarket units look like absolute crap. But in my opinion, the Monsoon one doesn’t look too great either.

I’m pretty happy with the JVC. It’s actually got a nice black finish instead of that silverish look that just stands out too much. If you want to see it in person, let me know.

yeah, cleansweep is expensive, but it works. I would just grab a nice double din eclipse nav unit which look super OEM with a ton of features and great sound.

ehh, now this is getting a little over the top. thanks for the tips, but i want to keep it simple. really dont want to spend a lot of money on this. i just basically need to find the right amp. the setup was fine before, i just want to add a sub

then just go stock unit and get some sort of line out adapter, you can always upgrade later.