coilover education

So I’m looking into buying coilovers for my s14. I’m using it as a daily driver with the hopes of drifting it in the summers to come. My problem is finding the right set that’s right for my needs. K-Sport, Megan Racing, Stance, Tein etc. all have a variety of coilovers and I’m not sure which ones would work best for me. K sport for example has the kontrol pro damper system, the gt pro damper system, and the slide control drift damper system. I only plan on drifting occasionally for now, so i don’t think the slide control drift damper system would be the best. Is the GT Pro just stiffer than the kontrol pro? And what are the advantages of the inverted design the GT Pro has? Also some are 36-way adjustable or 15-way etc, what’s the difference. These are the things i don’t understand when comparing coilovers.

I’m also looking at the megan racing street and track coilovers as well as tein super streets.

Like I said, it’s my daily driver with plans on drifting it, so based an all the experience on this board, I was wondering what would be best for me.

Price is an issue, i dont want to spend 2000 on coilovers but i would also pay more for ones that would last a little longer.

This has probably been asked before but i couldn’t find much on it, I’m looking for detailed answers i guess. Sorry for the long read btw aha

k-sport = shit.
Megan = less shitty

Go for Stance, even basics rock for the price.

tein is a little over priced unless u spend 2000 plus on the higher end stuff…

i would for my own car, either get megans for 1200, or zeal for 3k…
both are the best value on the market i feel…

Get Stance, they are good shit, but make sure it has new top mounts on it, the ones that Bing’s sells have the new mounts.

SG is a Stance dealer.

PM me if you want some, you won’t regret it.

poweredbyMax coilovers, never tried them personally but from what I’ve read they’re affordable and well worth the price.

www.poweredbymax.net

Review on zilvia

Jon

if you search google youll find a ton of ppl ( with 240sx s13/ s14) using Megan Racing coilovers and they all have good/great reviews with them, the Track or street series.
when its time for me to upgrade im going Megan for sure.
Also research the warranty and if they’re rebuildable, hope this helps.

Realize that coilovers that are built for drifting arent meant for daily driving. You’re going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere. Personally, I’d go with a softer setup since its daily driven. You wont lose out too much at the track.

Im about to try out EnduraTech coilovers. From what Ive read they are very good for the street and still track capable. http://www.endura-tech.com/

I’ve got Tein Super Drifts on my car right now and they are a bit stiff for the street so we’ll see how these fare this spring.

go tein, i can get tein flex for 1400 its way better than k sport and megan for only 1 or 2 hundred more

Ive heard nothing but great things from stance (except for logik23) but since then those issues have been resolved.

You can get megans for around the same price, but you’re better off with stance coils.

I’ve posted this before but since you seem new… this is why you should get Stance Coilovers.

http://www.mangarun.com/initial_d/initial_d_306/Initial%20D%20v25%20c306%20pg002.png

stance FTW as well

i had the same problem as logik as well and stance was awesome with their customer service. sent new mounts within a week for free.

basic basic stance go for less than 1300…way better than megan

Are you serious? When was this? They’ve been sending me mounts since like July and none have worked. Granted they were free, but still… When did you get your working mounts? I’ll call them again.

By the way, this is not a reflection on Bing’s service, he’s been awesome.

So what is it that makes stance way better than megan though? The basic stance doesn’t have helper springs or pillow ball upper mounts (what do these things do?lol :confused: ) Do you mean they last the longest or is it a comfortable ride but also trackable?

And i can get tein super streets for 1240, whats the difference between those and tein flex. Also, why should i choose stance over tein (other than for the fact hachiroku rocks them aha)

difference between Tein Super Streets and Tein Flex is that Tein flex has Pillowball upper mounts, Upper camber adjustment on the strut and offer adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload, the SS can come with the option of pillowball upper mounts but are not offered to the 240sx model and Pillow ball upper mounts are for increased steering feel.

personally id go with stance or Tein, big good companies are always good investments

hrmmm…like back in october?

the whole zilvia thread exploded at the end of summer and that’s where i learned it was a product defect.

Noise is kinda gone but the mounts move pretty freely now. Wheel centers back itself now compared to before, I had to basically countersteer the wheel myself after every turn.

I’m going to see how they are again when spring comes and if they aren’t to my satisfaction, I’ll call them up again and get free ones. They’ve told me that I can get new ones if I’m not satisfied.

They should move freely by shoving a screw driver inside. First movement will take a bit of force to break free but after that it should be fairly easy.

i love my stance

the best thing ive ever bought for my car

If you want pillowball mounts get the GR+ or whatever

Seriously this is like a one time investment for at least 1yr…so spend your money right. Don’t cheap out a few hundred bucks…you’ll regret it later.

Plus suspension is KEY if you want your car to handle like a champ.

No point in having power if you can’t control it…invest the $ into good reviewed coilovers and go from there.

Read on www.zilvia.net and search the entry level coilovers such as:

Stance, KTS, Silk Road, Powered By Max, Tein, Megan and Ksport.

Those are most of the entry level coils that are in the range of $1000-$1400.

If you’re hardcore try Powered by Max. $1,000 for them and decent reviews.

all of us (Intense Motorsports) run Ksports and NONE of us have EVER had a problem! I really dont know what you guys are complaining bout…if u wanna be “baller” go get the teins or stance just because it has a cool name stamped on it, if u wanna save a lil cash and dont really care about “JDM TYTENESS” then come check out the Ksports…4 out of 5 of us use them for daily driving in the summer, and I’ve never heard any complaints about ANYTHING

Sasha WON the Canadian Touring Car GT Class Championship with STANCE on his car…

what else needs to be said?