Decent wind power idea

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/23/wind.turbines/index.html

Put them offshore so you’re not wasting acres and acres of land for such a small amount of electricity.

Wind power is great, until you start looking at how much land you had to use to get a decent amount of power, coupled with the buffer zone you have to build in around it because no one wants to listen to them 24/7. I’ve fished right near the Lackawanna windmills and while they’re not annoyingly loud for short periods of time I would go insane if I lived close enough to hear them.

I still say wind power is joke when you compare it to nuclear. The largest wind farm in the world (the Horse Hollow Wind Energy Center) generates 735 megawatts but is spread over 47000 acres!

For comparision the Watts Bar nuclear plant is located on just 1770 acres and produces 1138 megawatts. This was the last new nuclear power plant created in the US and it opened in 1996. I’m sure one built with today’s technology would be even more efficient. Watts Bar would have doubled it’s production but reactor #2 was canceled when it was 80% built due to the anti-nuclear groups.

on a related note, alot more energy given the space.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/NjccBflo/Pics%20OT/invent_turb_main.jpg

also cool

I thought they already started putting them offshore? Figured it would become the thing to do eventually. where better to get unobstructed wind energy.

not exactly wind power related… AT ALL

Nope, not one bit but still nifty.

I’m all about different sources energy, Nuke plants have there place and we should use them.

But its alot safer and cheaper to build these turbines. I was told that each turbine located in WNY makes enough power for nearly 1000 homes. Thats not too bad, not great compared to a Nuke plant but again, you can’t have nuke plants at every corner of the US. Your just asking for a catastrophy, especially in the age of terrorism.

Honestly I’m waiting for the day we can have small home use turbines.

you can have those now, you just need $$$$

From the link that I posted. These are funtional and on the market:

and he has now sold more than 20 of his 2,000-watt dual-rotor turbines to homeowners

nuclear > *

there arent really any viable alternatives at the moment imo.

i want to know where…or maybe design one like it. i wouldn’t mine putting one of these on my roof. wonder how much stress is transfered to the base of this system.

brilliance. He also has designs for offshore use.

http://www.speakerfactory.net/wind_old.htm

47 THOUSAND acres? Holy fucking christ.

and NYS will pay for Half…

Private wind power = good for someone that can afford the start up cost, as NYS will pay for a large amount of it. Combine that with spinning the meter backwards instead of a large battery and you have a pretty darn good deal.

commercial wind power = absolute fucking joke, due to little to no regulation. They do what they want when they want, make huge I mean HUGE money and are nothing but a pain in the ass for Grid. It is a headache on soo many levels.

Start up cost in the millions? Just curious.

for private? No they can be $20 to $60k on average, I am sure cheaper systems are availble but I am not 100% up to date on pricing of the newer systems.

Oh wow, didn’t know it was so cheap. Is there a minimum land requirement? and does the location have to be specific?

Doesn’t sound like a bad deal with someone who’s got some money to invest in something. It’s not like you can really have a huge loss on one of these like you would in stocks or something, I mean there is always wind power.

if someone was interested they have to follow local zoning laws. If local laws allow the next step should be to get a wind speed test done. The put up a test tower to see if you have enough avg wind speed to make it worth the investment. Then you can pick out a turbine that would fit your needs.

It is a simple process but with any new technology you have a crap load of shady ass people to deal with. That is another reason to work with the state, they do check the people out who participate in the available programs.

Interesting stuff. Wish I was older with some $ to invest. Sounds like a good idea.

This is why you don’t have money to invest. Don’t take this as a personal attack, just pointing out bad investment mentality.

http://www.awea.org/faq/rsdntqa.html

They say it will pay for 50-90% of your monthly electricity and cost between 6-22k installed. I’m willing to bet the cheaper ones don’t get you anywhere near that 90% electric bill figure, so lets say 20k installed. Knock it down to 10k is NYS really will pay half, which I doubt. It’s probably a tax writeoff type thing that won’t work out to truely half off.

So for 10k up front investment you’re going to knock $90/month off your $100/month electric bill. So in 9.25 years you BREAK EVEN. But, chances are there will be maintenance costs with this turbine and all it’s moving parts so it will probably be much longer. Plus, if you had put that 10k in a stock portfolio getting a modest 8% per year it would be worth almost 21k in 9.25 years.

Still think it’s a good investment?

Home solar power, when they perfect printing cheap efficient solar panels, will be the best bet for good homeowner generated electricity. No moving parts, simple installation, zero noise and aesthetically pleasing.