first PA ticket

I got a ticket the other day for 78 in a 55, I’m wondering if anyone knows how to keep this from going on my driving reccord. In TX we could plead no contest and get deferedajudication (probation and a fine) but i don’t know how the points system works. and i can’t afford to have a ticket on my driving reccord eaither. Any ideas?

Plead guilty to 5 over. (60 in a 55). Pay the fine and no points will be issued. Nothing will go on your record.

The only thing I know is that for that much over, you will get points on your record. You could contest it and very possibly get a reduction. That involves going before the magistrate. I can’t remember how many points that would be, but you have 3 points removed from your record per year of clean driving, so if you get up to 3 points, you will have a clean license by this time next year as long as you don’t get any more tickets. Here’s a PDF explaining.

www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/pub472.pdf

Go to court and try plea down to violation of Title 75, Paragraph 3361, Subsection A (failure to yield to a traffic control device), because, technically, a speed limit sign is a traffic control device, after all.

IIRC 3361/A carries a money-only penalty (no points).

I have never had any points. Do not be an ass and go in and tell the judge you don’t want the points but have no problem with the fine. All they want is your money anyway.

x2
Just calmly admit you were speeding, and they’ll cut the points and keep all your money. I’ve done it several times, and alas no points.

WTF???:confused:

if you go in quoting the laws by number, they will probably give you everything they can.

admit to speeding and pay the fine. It’s not exactly rocket science

It’s pretty common for them to keep the fine and reduce or completely remove the points, most magistrates will try to act cranky but if you’re respectful and dressed appropriately for court they’ll usually let you slide.

if it was city of pittsburgh that got ya, go down to the circus that is pittsburgh traffic court, tell the judge you are there for the points, and watch how he magically turns it to 5 over, no points, small fine

in the smaller jurisdictions, good luck

Whenever i got a ticket for a 67 in a 45 i fought it. Before i even got into the magistrate’s office I was approached by a police officer while sitting waiting to be called in. He said “why are you fighting this”. I simply said “Because i drive for a living and cant get the points on my record” and he said i can drop it to 5 over and you just pay the fine and will recieve no points. I was like. Sounds good to me. Therefore no points. Maybe you will get that deal also.

3111 is Obedience to traffic control devices = no points ,fine only

3361 is Driving vehicle at safe speed = possible points added for this section plus a fine.

I doubt the D.J. give him 3111 for 23 mph over the speed limit. I bet the best they will do is let him plead guilty to 10 mph over which is reduced fines and points. Depends on the D.J.

It doesnt matter if you fight it and win it still goes on your record

:stupid:

Yeah, but if he gets it reduced to 5 or 10 mph over that is what will show up on his record. Alot better than 23 mph over on his record:eek:

Thanks for clarification. I just re-read those sections…it’s obvious now. I fired off keyboard this morning half-cocked and forgot the golden rule: research.

see that makes no since. that it still goes on your record, i hav e had plenty of tickets but none ever on my record. havn’t had any in about 3 years. Oh yeah, i got it in a small town on my way to johnstown.

I just had to get an abstract of my driving record to give to the FAA. It had every ticket i ever got, dismissed or not. However if I did get the ticket pleaded down it reflected the lower charge.

No problem:bigthumb:

I got the same exact ticket, same speed and everything in Erie last year. I got 4 points and a fine. I think the fine was around $200 or so, not sure though.
I didn’t fight it since it was in Erie. However, I agree with everyone else. I’ve gone to the magistrate and had 2 other tickets dropped.