halp diagnose an issue. vw guys chime in

ok so me and brett changed the brakes on the GTI last week. while doing the fronts, brett noticed that the front drivers side wheel had some play when the wheel was on and tight. well at first we thought maybe the tierod. last night i put it on the lift and checked out the tierod ends and pulled on the tierod itself and it seemed to be tight. i kinda want to say the play is comming from the constant velocity joint (CV) where the drive axel meets the hub. now having 0 expierence with all this i also wanted to check the strut, so i lowered the car until it was about 1’ off the ground and i jacked up the lower control arm to make sure the strut had tension on it. well once i did that, there was still the same amount of play.

so im thinking one of the following…

1. cv joint is wearing out
  2. tierod, where it connects to the steering rack is wearing out
  3. the top of the strut could be tightened. now i tried this but it looks like u have to hold the strut itself from turning with a 8mm allen key while u tighten the bolt down. well is there a special tool or something for this?

please tell me what u think. thanks.

Wheel bearing? My rear wheel had some play in it last week, ended up being the rear wheel hub assembly, i just got it fixed yesterday. No more vibration.

i had thought of this. its weird because the car drives with no shimying, vibration or anything else. i would love to have it professionaly looked at so i just know what to replace but who should i take it to? i dont trust any VW dealers around here.

E,

Gearhead Auto has my VW right now, they are doing:

Timing Belt
Water Pump
Tstat
Front bushings
Brakes

Call Justin or Pete (Fn Skanks) they will hook you up and they know what they are doing.

It’s a volkswagen

/thread

What about the guy on Central Ave right up from the wash? He deals with only VWs, i dont remember the name of the place though.

Hackels*?

yeah thats the one

i would prob just go to autobahn. thing is i would like to do all the work myself as long as i dont need some special tool. with the help of brett i think it can be tackled in a few hours.

That guy sucks. If I was going to bring my Volkswagen anywhere to get professionally worked on it would be by Autobahn. Greg knows his shit.

OK, he was asking the name of the place, I wasn’t reccomending them.

jason, your post is null and void. u has a honda! :Idiots

get the a3 vr6 jetta back.

Everything with VW is a special tool.
It took Joe and I five hours just to do my brakes by the time we tracked down parts/tools and got everything done.
You’re lucky though, Brett has most of them already I think.
Wish I would have known/thought of that when we did mine.

I didn’t say you were.

Emanuel, I’d love to get the car back, The last time I saw it was last summer and it was in need of some serious attention. I’m afraid to see what it looks like now after going through another winter. Last time I talked to Ben, he was mentioning he wanted to supercharge it.

nicole, the only special tool needed to do the brakes was the caliper tool that i purchased at pep boys and grinded off 2 tabs to make it work.

jay, sell civic and get a cool car. do et!

Yeah that piece of shit.
Joe had one that broke.
Couldn’t find a new one anywhere.
Two hours later we’re doing work again.
Then couldn’t find the right blade to grind those “tabs” or w/e off.
Nothing went right that day. :banghead

The wheel is going to fall off, then the car is going to flip over.

It doesn’t make any kind of humming sound when you drive it? It sounds like either tie rods or a wheel bearing.

ball joint?.. did ya check that out?

+1 …thats what i was going to say…jack the car up and yank up and down on the lower control arm…straight up and down…thats how id check it