swaying suspension

hey, i just started driving my '90 hatchback, base model sohc automatic. when i hit large bumps it feels like the front sways side to side, this sometimes happens when i’m braking too. it also pulls to the left sometimes while driving, but not all the time.

so something is loose as hell in the front end, is this a common thing and if it is, what is most likely causing this? i’m going to have a look at it this weekend and i’d like a good starting point to look for.

thanks, brendan.

hey whats up

there could be a few things causing this

the swaing can be caused by snapped front stabilizer bar end links, called the stabilizer links

also the tension control bushings that are worn out, main balljoint, steering rod balljoints, and inner power steering rack balljoints can cause the swaying

pulling to the left or rigth can be cause by seizing calipers or bad tire pressure as well as any of the things mentioned above

make a list and take it to the shop, so much easier to check with a hoist

good luck, dont give up.

also check your tires and also your toe control rods, they like to leak.

peace

yeah i had a look at it today and its definately the tie rod ends, the drivers side is disgustingly loose, i’m going to pick them up tomorrow and get them in so i don’t have to fear the snow drifts anymore, haha.

new tie rod ends will definately help, after i put those in i’ll see how it feels and if theres still some slop.

I had the same problem on my s13 coupe. The lower ball joints were toast, completely. Much better after I replaced them.

Check them by jacking the car up so the wheel is off the ground, then grab the bottom of the tire and wiggle it in and out.

If it moves, that is usually a good indication of the ball joints being worn.

Good luck and keep us posted on the tie rods.

Theo

yeah i checked them all when i was swapping the wheels and it felt like just the tie rod ends. i may be replacing them tonight, if not then i will be tomorrow, i’ve got them sitting in the back of the car.

i replaced the tie rod ends a couple days ago and now that they aren’t moving around i can tell what the real problem was, the drivers side wheel bearing is done so it pulls a bit to the right when i’m driving then when i’m braking it pulls hard to the left as the wheel flops and starts pointing in the other direction! haha. thats safe… so i’ll be replacing it once the part comes in.

does anyone know of a write up on how to replace a front wheel bearing? i had a look around and couldn’t find anything, i can do it without one but its always faster if you know exactly what you’re doing.

thanks.

wheel bearing replacment must be in the FSM;

http://www.son240sx.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13504

update time, i’ve replaced:
outer tie rod ends
drivers side wheel bearing
drivers side ball joint

the first problem is fixed completely, but i’ve still got the other problem, now that its tighter i can describe it better. normally the car pulls slightly to the right, but if i give the brakes a medium amount of force or turn left hard (like turning onto a street, a bend in the road won’t do it) something will make a ‘clunk’ noise and the car will pull hard to the left and stay there. if i swerve to the right quickly, hit a medium sized bump in the road or turn right onto another street it will ‘clunk’ again and go back to a slight right pull. sometimes i can slightly feel the clunk if i have my foot on the dead pedal.

i can think of two things that might be causing it, but i’ll keep them to myself for now and see what you guys think it might be.

thanks.

my car had a clunk when it turned and then i swapped out the stock front shock with the unit on my parts car. The top hats were seized and they wouldnt turn so the spring would “jump” out of the groove…you can add this to the list of things to check.

i could also feel the clunk from this

-Matt

Ok, welcome to S13 ownership :wink:

Dollars to donuts it’s ball joint(s).

That sounds about right. They’ll get worse and start changing lanes for you. Scary.

Check your upper bearing plates too. If the rubber separates, it can make an awful clunk, and can wander around, but your problem sounds 100% to me like balljoints

alright, i replaced the drivers side one a couple days ago (it was really bad) but i didn’t notice any sort of difference, it still did it just as bad, but i’ll check the passenger side too.

Might want to double-check that the bolts holding your TC rods in place are tight (and I guess make sure the bushings aren’t mush/oozing lol, as aforementioned). I’ve had clunking before and tightening them made it all go away.

Also, any chance your shocks are blown? Is that how it “feels”?

Good luck.

nope, the suspension feels good.

i was thinking either inner tie rod end or the steering rack.

It could be the rack bushings, and what you’re actually feeling is the rack moving around.

I didn’t see balljoint on your list of repairs.

Could be sway bar end-links?

Get the front of the car in the air and on stands and push/pull at the wheel and watch for in and out/ side to side movement.

grab and move as much of the suspension and steering as you can, listening for the clunk. If you can, get someone to work the wheel back and forth while you watch the parts move. Watch for extra play in the rack, especially at lock. Like move the wheel all the way one way, then try and move it more. See if the rack budges.

I hate chasing clunks

yeah i’ve had the front up in the air and looked around with a buddy, we couldn’t find the clunk or loose part, the wheels feel solid and so does the steering wheel when you turn it. whatever it is, it takes a good amount of force from the road to move it.

Inner control arm bushing or TC road bushing can clunk and they won’t move by hand, u need a big ass pry bar.

i’ve got a nice 5 foot pry bar so i think i’ll have a look at them sometime then.

like mr200 said, ball joints. rack bushings only improve steering feel by making it “tighter” - imo, doesn’t really affect drivability.

easy way to check - jack up the car. try to shake the wheel while it’s in the air while having a buddy checking to see what’s moving and where (normally should be tight).

hit a bump in the road, hear a clunk, steering makes a 1/4 turn while pulling a bit to the side after almost putting you in another lane, and then tries to put you in the lane to the other side when it shifts back. that was my story. if your car is behaving like this, ball join, no doubt.

trust me. i’ve changed tc rods, rack bushings, etc. just do the check i told you and you’ll see it for sure.

good luck. easy fix.