House Location Suggestions???

My sister and brother-in-law are moving to Pittsburgh next June. They are looking for suggestions on places to live throughout the city. I’m pretty much only familiar with Allison Park (North Hills) so I’m hoping you guys can add your $.02 as well. Here are some general guidelines:

• must be <= 30 minutes from UPMC Presby
  • must be newer (<10 yr old) house
  • access to 279,79, 376, 28 a plus
  • decent sized back yard
  • price: $200-300k

Not looking for specific houses to look at, just for a general area. They will be here this weekend so I was hoping to give them a few more suggestions when they go searching.

Thanks,
Jeff

mccandless?

x2

• Wexford, Franklin Park

north hills if needing to go in city seems easiest access IMO(no tunnels)

This is very true. Tunnels ruin lives.

Yes, my brother-in-law is a doctor and will be working at UPMC Presby. He needs to live some what close just in case he gets called in last minute.

I had already thought about the Wexford area. Are there any new developments (neighborhoods) in the Upper St. Clair/Mt Lebo area?

isn’t upmc presby in oakland? if so, wexford isn’t really close… at all… squirrel hill would be a nice place to find a nice house remodeled… but i doubt that you’ll find many less than 10 year old houses there…

it sounds like your describing the north hills… who really cares if they live close to 28 anyway :kekegay:

Upper St. Clair and peters have really nice houses in a really nice location (there > north hills :kekegay x2 ) BUT it’s not even remotely ‘close’ to presby…

i used to work in oakland and live off mcknight and the drive was not bad at all…

Churchill/Monreville has some really nice houses, but you also have to battle with the nightmare that is 376.

yes, presby is in oakland. if you live by 79 in wexford, it is easy to hop on 279 right into the city. he’s not going to be going to/leaving work at rush hour so the time isn’t really taking into account traffic.

i mentioned 28 because my parents live off of 28 (sort of) and it would be better in the long run if it was an easy drive.

i realize there are a lot of great houses that are older in the area. however, they are not looking for a fixer-upper at all. they had to fix up the house they live in now and it’s not something they want to have to do all over again.

Sewickley area is nice and easy access to the city. Blue Ribbon school district (Quaker Valley).

Jefferson Hills, Bethel Park, Upper St. Clair in the south.

Hampton, Allison Park, Gibsonia in the Rt. 8 Corridor

McCandless, Ross, Glenshaw in the North Hills.

I wouldn’t really suggest out East or West, too hard to get into the city at any time of the day.

well if traffic is no concern, then there is no reason to worry about a tunnel or bridge… so i guess all locations are created equal in that aspect???

i was kidding about 28… also… sq hill has Nice houses, like not fix’r up er’s… just that they are not new construction was my point.

sounds like the north is the best choice for your (their) circumstances… <opinion> i think that they might get a little more for their money somewhere like upper st clair or pewters areas… just from my limited experience looking at houses in different regions…</opinion>

Guess I should have clarified this one…my parents live in Allison Park/Hampton so there is no chance in hell my sister will be buying a house there. An easy commute there would be nice though.

fshowcars, thanks for your opinion. That’s what I’m looking for.

i would ad whitehall to the area.like near the golf course

but i think you hit the nail on the head there

there is a brand new Ryan home plan 1/4 mile from me (shaler) with 2 houses for sale already in that price range. plenty of homes in mccandless, franklin park, richland, wexford, etc also. just go to one of the real estate web sites and search in chosen areas in that price range. all listed homes under any company will be in the search results.

i know that i can check out the websites, i was hoping to get people’s personal opinions on places to live. that is not something you can get from a website.

from what I heard, stay away from Ryan Homes, my uncle did heating and air conditioning for Ryan years ago and said the homes are total junk. An old house in PGH is built 10x better then any new construction, but thats opinion!

If they have kids or plan on it i wouldnt move 2 either.woody high isnt a good school and gateway is heading in the same direction.

the Ryan homes in my neighborhood have problems with the attics catching on fire.my neighborhood is like no more then 25 years old and we have had atleast 5 ryan home attics catch on fire since iv lived here(parents built the house in 1991).

No little kids (yet), but they do have a dog which they treat as their child. Even if they had kids, they wouldn’t be old enough to remember the area before they leave. Still, thinking about the school system helps give you an idea about what the surrounding area is like.