job sites

i asked you 6 months ago for an app fucker!!!

Id definately do construction.
Its actually something Im seriously looking into but I cant seem to find anything entry level without experience required. I also need a steady, year round job that doesnt put me on unemployment for 6 months.

Ive even looked on a few construction company’s websites with no luck, including the company building the tech park shit in Malta.

I really dont want to be a driver all my life. Its ok now but Im getting a little sick of it. I really dont like driving huge trucks and theres no way I could drive something with a trailer- I have an awful time with my 4x8 quad trailer.

I dont know shit about computers and thats just not my thing.

Im really looking for something first shift Monday-Friday. I dont mind starting work at 5 or 6 am, in fact thats what I really want.

Local 83 Sheet metal union is looking for apprentices. pay starts around 18/hr if you get picked up.

where do I find info on that and why arent you doing that?

http://www.smwlocal83.org/

located:

718 third st
Albany.

im not doing it because im a full time student right now, and dont have time for full time work + my school + apprenticeship training.

Thanks. Something to look into.

I forgot about school- what are you going for?

im going for free.

oh you mean classes…

criminal justice major, sociology minor. tons of fun.

only problem with this is you dont get the union benefits. Im not union and i make 37/hr, prevailing rate. Go for some type of construction pjb, its not that hard, as long as you can learn easily.

gotta find a company thats hiring for full time year round work first.
I wouldnt mind road crew work or masonry.

No ladders though- Im scared to death of them.

You’re doing it wrong.

You don’t want to find a company. You want to find a TRADE. Companies come and go. After all; they’re run by BUSINESSMEN.

Road crew and masonry (Bricklayers) are not good trades if you want to work year round.

I would listen to MK4 Brett. You want a unionized construction trade apprenticeship.

Ignore Gatville if you’re looking for a career, and not just a job.

OH! Never tell anyone you’re afraid of ladders. If you want a job in ANY trade, you will be using them. Get used to it.

Right now Id just settle for a good paying job though. Im currently stuck in a dead end job thats like a sinking ship so anything is better than that right now.

Im not really feeling the 5 years of training deal.

Ive had a few bad experiences with ladders and dont like being on anything more than a step ladder these days.
Yeah, it might be being a pussy but thats how I am.

A union would be his best bet, its just not for me, as my job is also a career.

You need to get your shit together man and get away from cars given this post.

With that said, craigslist is really popular as it’s free.

But, a lot of places use temp agencies where you can do temp to perm. But, the basic careerbuilder, monster.com, TU.Com, etc.

Yes, times are tough even in NYS. The wife interviewed for a different job doing similiar work and they wanted her to take a 50K pay cut. Dead serious.

Also, apply for civil service. They pay like shit but you don’t do shit.

Wrong…Its by the amount of hours you work that you get raises. So if you suck and don’t know what your doing you will not work, and not get raises. You cant just be in the union and not have any idea what your doing. The “schooling” usualy does not apply to real life work situations. And unless you can watch people and learn from them without pestering them with questions and so on… you wont last long. Plus right now good luck getting in and getting on a job site. There is a lot of union guys sitting on the bench. And BTW what union is starting apprentices at 12 an hour? Thats real shitty pay…even for an apprentice.

Exactly. Unless you plan on working a trade as a career you are wasting your time joining a union. Your best bet is to try to get in with a union contractor and hopefully get on some state jobs. Then you get prevailing wage which is union rate without subtracting for union dues and benefits. If you are scared of ladders though…you will not make it. Although part of the reasons that there is unions is so that company’s cant send you up on rickety ass scaffolding and ladders or make you do anything extremely unsafe. Though in most trades if not all of them you will be working at heights constantly. So if you cant hack that I wouldn’t bother.

Jellies, you want me to cut the bullshit? Ok, I can do that. No prob. You’re still in your 20
s, and you’ve got the chance to change your lives path. Right now, you’re fucking 12 dollar an hour bullshit at almost the age of 30 is a joke. So…take the training offered to you FOR FREE (military), or sell the fucking stupid ass 88 Mustang that you refuse to drive, pay off some debt, and go to school for driving trucks or some shit.

At some point, you’ve gotta cut the sugarcoated bullshit and I’m trying to do that with you bro. Take it or leave it, makes no difference to me. Unlike you, I can walk into a 70K job tomorrow by choice.

You sound like a $12/hr truck driver.

That’s pretty short sighted. 5 years is no time, and if you want to get paid more you need to have knowledge you can offer an employer. $12/hr to start as an apprentice sounds like decent money to me! Over the course of 5 years you get scheduled pay raises. At the end of those 5 years no matter what trade you get involved with you’ll be making around $30/hr. Then you’ll have a REAL TRADE with REAL SKILLS that you can offer an employer! If you stick with a labor union you will get a real pension, which basically ZERO employers offer now, good health insurance, and a camaraderie with your fellow tradesmen that nobody outside of a construction trade union can understand.

+1

You either put the time in, or make $12 an hour the rest of your life. Map up.

+1 to what everyone has said here. To get paid, you need to put forth the effort man. No one is gonna pay you $20/hr if you don’t put forth the effort.

I’d shovel shit for $50 an hour or whatever it took to support my family.

Also, unions are dog shit. I just watched 5 construction workers tossing their balls for 3 minute while I was on my way to work.

This country is so fucking ass backwards its not even funny. We have executives, CEOs, CFOs, that bank millions and billions while the REAL people who do the work struggle. We have the middle class working 60-100 hours a week breaking their balls to survive. Only to be fucking taxed to death. And then we have lazy union/state workers that don’t do a fucking thing. But, want $90K a year to sweep up shit or hold a “stop” sign. Or we have welfare people that dont’ want to get a fucking job.

But, I ask, truly to those that don’t work or put in any effort. Where is your fucking self pride? I was at a family get together and one of the aunts was like: “Don’t you want to work for the state, collect a paycheck, and don’t do much”. I said “No”. She didn’t get it. FUcking sad

There MUST be a happy medium somewhere in all of this.