job sites

Well said. + rep sir.

You don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.

Some on the other stuff you said, was semi-reasonable. Referring to CEO’s and being taxed to death. A perfect reason why we need labor unions more now than ever. I can guarantee you that nobody who is sweeping up shit or running a shovel is making $90g a year. Unless they’re putting in 120 hrs a week…

+1

You missed the point of his post.

If you disagree with him, you’re blind. How many times have you driven through a construction zone and seen 3 guys sitting on a guard rail, one chiselin away, and a 3rd watching that dude go to town on the concrete? We all see it ALL THE TIME. That is a WASTE. Those guys are making over $20/hr for sure. That’s 40k/yr at least. And then we wonder why NYS is broke as hell? THAT’S WHY (not only construction/road crews, I’m sure there is more waste elsewhere).

+1 just the other day, saw some guy doing some work on the side of the road in the rain… he was out their hammerin away… there were 2 other guys inthe back of the enclosed truck drinking what looked to be coffe and watching him.

Because a Industrial Refrigeration Technician said so? Please. Don’t confuse me with some kid that works at Best Buy or fixes my GE Freezer for that matter.

Anyhow, teacher’s union (6 hour work day + summers off), construction workers (Do I REALLY need to say anything here?), NYS (DO I REALLY NEED TO SAY ANYTHERE HERE), and even unions for professional sports. Some big bitch smokin a cig drinkin coffee and holding a “Stop” sign shouldn’t be making $20-$40 an hour.

Sure, I am making some sort of blind judgement but like stereotypes, there is always some truth behind it.

Union were great in the industrial period when some guy could lose a hand for $.01 an hour.

Laugh. What about 125 hours?

i agree ,uniouns are only there to fuck people , i mean really if ya need a unioun to hold your job stability or whatnot . ya need to smack yourself in the head with a hammer

Lazy union workers? You sir have no clue what your talking about. Union guys are not the people you see on the side of the road grouped up holding shovels and drinking cofee. They’re state workers. I work my ass off for the money I make. Get no paid holidays, sick days, vacation time or anything of the sort. If I don’t work I don’t get paid.What do you do? I’m sure you work long hours and put a lot of effort in at you computer chair, and I respect that. You went to college to not have to do manual labor. But do not call people lazy when you have no idea what they go through for their paycheck. I would like to see you come work with me for a week. I doubt you would be able to. So I think you should respect the people who build and repair the buildings you live in, roads you drive on and houses you live in. Because you sound like a snob.

Not sure if you were referring to me but I didn’t mean to offend you or anyone. See below.

My dad works in a union. Actually, I think you’re the member who works in the same union.

I think what the other guys were referring to (with construction workers) was that they are unionized (the road crews - mostly all state workers belong to some union). At least that’s what I was getting at. There is obviously exceptions to the rule, you and my dad being two of them. But the generalization is that state workers and many unionized laborers are sometimes a waste of money. Heck, even some contractors are. And like someone above said…there is usually some truth to stereotypes. So maybe you’re an exception. Maybe my dad is. But what about some other people?

That being said, isn’t the point of a union to get better benefits for their members? My parents use my mom’s insurance for healthcare, etc. because my dads union insurance is a POS. That’s not good. Not to mention he is laid off half the year, every year. I’m always telling him to leave the union and get a job in the private sector somewhere because with his talent for stone work and general handy-man-liness (is that a new word?) he could definitely get some nice work, but he says if he leaves now he loses out on some stuff since he’s so close to retirement. That’s retarded.

Just to make a point. I doubt you could do his (or my) job for a week either. It is people like him that make sure our infrastructure is maintained and (reasonably) error free. You cannot do anything today w/o somehow interacting with something someone sitting in a chair staring at a computer has created. Everything from turning your car on to making a phone call to buying gas. In fact, chances are your paycheck is calculated and printed using some kind of electronic system developed by someone sitting at a computer.

Yes, there are two sides to the coin, but the only difference is the type of work involved. Both sides work equally hard and put in just as much time and effort as the other.

No i didn’t mean you. I meant Shawn. Unions are great when the people that work in them respect what they have. Same in any job. You will always have lazy fucks and hard working people. The reason unions exist is so that employers cant screw people over just because they need to make money. I worked private construction for 5 years before joining the union and had to work in extremely unsafe conditions just because i needed money to pay my bills. Ever try laying shingles on a 2 story house after a snowstorm? Try going up there at 6 in the morning shoveling off plywood sheeting and trying to walk on the ice thats left…with a 50 foot drop below. Or setting an 80 foot long by 30 foot tall truss in the center of a house with a compressor air line on either side to hold it up untill it was secured, because there wasn’t a rope on site. I have many more story’s I could tell you about shit you would wonder why anyone would do. I didn’t join the union because i needed work, I joined because the jobs and conditions need to be up to par with OSHA standards, and your employer cant fuck you over for no reason. The quality of work is much better. Ive never had to look for a job. I have 3 people i could call tommorow and be at work. I am only in the union for the benifits and security. So screw the haters who don’t know what they’re talking about.

I agree. And thats why i said that I respect what he does. I’m not the one who called all office workers lazy fucks.

Edit: Nevermind. Just saw your 2nd post, you see my point.

In theory, it makes a lot of sense though. Some “entity” needs to protect people against big business. However, there needs to be some sort of checks/balances. It seems like this country loves the extremes: work enormous hours, don’t work at all, go fast, go slow, make a lot of money, barely make it, etc.

Whom are part of an UNION (PEF, I believe)!

Stop taking it so literally. I have a very good friend who works for DOT and works his ass off. BTW, it is frowned upon there. Oh, the irony!

Congrats.

You seem to know what I do so enlighten me.

Did I say they are all lazy? Again, it’s a blind judgement which is typical to a stereotype. But, as I said, all stereotypes have SOME truth to them.

You doubt? I don’t doubt it given you seem to know me well, my job history, etc. I have no idea what you do nor do I care so I wouldn’t have the slightest opinion if I could do it. I am not sure how you made this into you vs the world. However, there is definately a difference between working upstate and downstate for most people.

Please. I pay more in fucking taxes than some of you make in a year. Do you know how I feel when I see these lazy pricks doing nothing and then crying to their unions over increased wages? Or why the Herriman exit is taking 3 fucking years to complete? Or why the BQE is under construction for the last 25 years? Or why when pot holes occur, they just lay down some fucking wooden/metal planks instead of fixing the problem? Or why it takes 3-4 fucking cop cars to handle a traffic violation? Or why some false alarm (fire) nextdoor required 2-3 cop cars, an ambulance, 6 fire trucks (no joke either)? Or why we spend $20349230423044320924302430923092309320990309394394334093049309 in complete bullshit? Or why is NYS whom taxes their people to death have NO MONEY.

I respect the people that work hard and take pride in their work. I don’t think anyone in this thread would disagree with that. I am referring to the lazy fucks that don’t do anything to collect a paycheck (ie the lazy mother fuckers who drink coffee and aren’t doing anything) not hard working people like yourself…

And neither did I. Maybe you can stop working your difficult job and get a comfy job “behind a computer chair” if you had some Rosetta Stone?

The lowest paying job at the hospital it 10.00 an hour. You can be a PCA and make 11.00 an hour. No degree needed.

Good for you man. Are you trying to get on the force?

Anybody that knows me knows I work my ass off.
I just never get compensated enough for my efforts it seems.

My father was in unions for about 30 years and now he’s not in one and says he’d rather not be in one.

That’s the case for A LOT of people. The sad reality is that this is not the best of time to be looking for work. There are a lot of people who are looking for jobs and companies who don’t want to spend the money. That combined with a person without a specialized skillset or some sort of degree and you are really at the back of the line.

Consider your standpoint right now. Do you think it’s time to make a change? Again, I really think you (everyone) should wake up each morning and actually not hate going to work. You should enjoy nice things in live without killing yourself. Maybe it’s time to consider some sort of change? Military? More education? I don’t know. Only you can determine that.

I can’t speak for every company or every industry but Crystal interviewed at a company that wanted her to take a $40K pay cut. Also, my company has money coming out of every hole and they won’t hire anyone new. Tough days.

Its definately time for a change but I need to figure out which direction to take.

I figure right now Im safe in my job and wont get laid off/fired but the pay blows and Im sick of dealing with morons there. I do hate getting up to go there quite often.
Ive basically gotten as far as I can go with the company because my boss is cheap and bitches about over time pay and money all the time so I dont think he’ll give me enough of a raise to make it worth staying there.

What I seem to be finding are $8-10 jobs everywhere.

I don’t have the answer for you but I wouldn’t live like that. Sure, I’d love to be golfing/bowling daily but I actually do enjoy my job even with the hours. Often, I really enjoy it even working late. If you don’t have a similiar feeling, I think you do need a change. I am just not sure what that change is. Life is too short to deal with that.