lowering car via heating springs

im guna do it about the same way but i have an oxi torch kicking around the shop that im guna use… no worrys

heating the spring changes the molecular structure of the metal…how you cool it dictates how that structure will remain…

but you already knew that didn’t you

but in a sense you are right, cold forging, chryo treatments etc… do change the molecular structure of metals…just in a different way.

and i only put my profession so you’d take me seriosuly and not do this. if you actually want the things you say you do, you’ll go buy a good setup…if you just want a lowered car that rides and handles like shit u’ll heat ur springs…simple

my car is slammed and my exhaust is like 1 1/4 off the ground
i never scrape.

cutting or heating ur springs wll give u a bouncy ride.

LOL, engineer or engineering STUDENT?
I’m gonna go with student, and not a very good one at that either, because you learn the difference between annealing and quenching in first year. Or atleast I did :wink:

1. my boss (the welder and fabricator of 45 years) is the one who told me i would have no problem doing it. he works with metal heating it and such for a living so i think he knows what hes talking about aswell.

Your boss wouldn’t happen to be mexican would he?

Regardless if you ride on heated springs you are a retard, I just hope you get pulled over and the car gets impounded before you hurt someone.

Idiot.

first off … i resent that! :stuck_out_tongue:

and second heating springs = FAIL
seriously why would you?? even I, a total NEWB wouldnt even consider heating or cutting my springs!

i found a set (4) Skunk2 lowering springs on ebay $120 BNIB!!
Dont be so CHEAP!!!

for these purposes i didnt want to get into all that…just wanted this tool to know that heating ur springs to lower your car = in no way a good idea.

and i was at the top of my class at conestoga and was recently accepted to guelph for next year to get my iron ring.

why do all engineers drive toyotas?
but secretly love 240s? gluttins for punishment? lol

Heh, good luck, don’t forget to party hard when you finally get it. By about 8pm on Iron Ring day, I was so drunk I was denied entry to most drinking establishments :smiley:

hahaha…that was me when i got my certificate from college…god knows what things’ll be like when i’m finally a P.Eng…lol

AISI 9255 steel is hardened then tempered to bring it to the right ductility, strength

so after you heat it and plastically deform it, just reharden it and temper it and you will be ok

but chances are you wont be able to afford both of those processes :slight_smile:

you also said you didnt want to drive a lowered car in the winter…so how are you going to get your car back to stcok height? buy another set of springs and spend more time installingthem when it snows?

seriosuly man…there’s soooooooooo many beter ways of doing what you’re thinking of doing…pls listen to us!

yeah my boss also has 8 years engineering. big deal

if its in no way a good idea why do a whole bunch of ppl do it? like on overhaulin for example. its not as good as lowering springs but its not a bad idea. and if heating it changes it than how is it formed? i would have thought metal had to be heated at some point for it to be made into things such as springs. but you know i could be wrong.

also i said i did not want to drive on COILOVERS for the winter. do you know what would happen to coilovers if you winterdrove them? i thought i said i only wanted the loweringsprings for the winter and come summer i would buy coils.

my bad…i didnt go back and read the thread i was just going from memory…and yes most manufacturing processes for coil springs do introduce heat to the metal…but like i said…ur changingan existing property.

everytime you heat themetal it’s going to change from it’s previous state. it’s a cumulative effect.

anyway…if it were me i’d grab some used springs or something…but my car is already lowered and im not you.

so quit arguing your point with me and do it alreay if your so confident it’s a good idea.

i will dont worry.

tsk tsk tsk

If your boss is an engineer with 8 years of experience like you say he is, then why the hell does he work in a shop? He should have his PEng, and be ballin off the wallin somewhere making mad $ not getting his hands dirty. Clearly, he’s either NOT an engineer, or is really bad at it.

Cut off two coils. Then get them heated at a shop with an oxy/acetylene torch and make the cut coil flat and put them back in.

Man, the more I read your posts the dumber I get.

You’re so annoying.

that or what realy happend, he dident like doing paperwork all day and cramed in an office so he started up a comp. to do what he loved and not what payed well.

DO IT MANG!!! i shall call you guinie pig number #3
just respnd with your opinion on how it affects riding, steering, accel, braking.
live and learn… its all you can do… i always get bitched at for talking out support braces and what not’s… drilling out holes in the body behind the fenders… all cause im to cheap to by carbon fibre to save my weight… they will never know unless you tell them eh;)