Message to all the new bikers

I know alot of you guys dont know me but I just wanted to give you guys some advice who are buying bikes for the first time. Get a bike that is comfortable to YOU not YOUR ego. Most bikes out there in todays market have more power then you can control. DONT get a liter bike because you think it will make you look cool.

When it comes to riding, prepare yourself mentally and physically. Get equipment that will PROTECT you. You never know what is going to happen. Dont wear a tshirt or shorts just because it is hot out. Protect your skin, its the only set you have.

Find people to ride with who are knowledgable and know the sport. YOu will want to find someone that will take the time to show you how to properly ride and show you how to read the road and its lines. I was lucky enough to have the pleasure to be taught be in my opinion the best rider in WNY for the last three summers. He taught me things I never knew or would have known. If you dont want to go fast, dont, if you dont want to do wheelies, dont, YOU are the one in control, dont do things or ride above your head or skills to impress the people around you.

Do the research on the roads you want to ride. Find out if they are safe for riding and free from debree. You want to keep yourself as safe as possible. Go thru the roads slow, learn the curves and learn how to respect the bike you are on.

There are sites around here that have some OG’s that may take you under their wings and show you how to ride. Try www.wnysportriders.org or www.buffalostreetriders.com , I use to be one of the OGs but I hung my helmet up for retirement. This is the first time since I was 18 that I have not had a bike to ride, I have owned over 15 sport bikes, and spent God knows how much money on them. I had to see a rider die right infront of me a couple of summers ago because he was riding over his head. I dont want to see this happen to any of you guys this summer.

BE SAFE AND HAVE SOME FUN!!

word.

:tup:

I bought a 1973 cb500 last year. Slow as hell and great to learn on :tup: to the info!

attention all bikers i am aiming for you. jk be safe bitches. funerals suck.

:tup:

If you are referring to Alan, I still think of him daily. Honestly one of the, if not the most, stand up guys I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I feel honered to have been so close with him for so many years and when he passed, it was like losing a family member. He was one of the brightest, most loving guys Ive ever known and just lived life to the fullest everyday. He loved his family more than anything in the world, especially his wife (man that wedding was really something special). If you weren’t referring to him than I appologize for this little blerg, but he has just been on my mind a lot as of late. Please guys just be fucking careful, in the past 3 years I’ve lost 7 close friends on bikes, one of which was a professional drag racer who died at the strip (lancaster actually, wasn’t even suppose to be racing :frowning: ). Ride with confidence but don’t get over-confident, and always remember you can be the safest rider in the world, but that won’t matter one bit when the 70 year old lady pulls out like you don’t exist. Rubber-Side_Down guys, see you out there.

:tup: to great info. I just bought a bike for this season and have been told pretty much the exact same info by a couple of experienced riders who I trust. Def advice to take to heart. Thanks!!!

i may not have followed all of that advise but its good none the less :tup:

word. take it easy out there and don’t ride beyond your skill level. don’t be afraid to fall behind when riding in a pack.

The only people that will take heed to this are people that already ride within their means. As good as this advice may seem and as helpful as you think you may be, it’s not going to change a single thing. Squids aren’t squids because they don’t know, they’re squids because they don’t care and think they know it all.

Don’t waste your breath, it’s no different than when your mom told you drugs, cigarettes and alcohol were bad. How much did you listen to that?

If you want to be safe, don’t ride with squids.

squids dont ride bikes…

:tup: good post

Excellent post. Find some good people to ride with and they won’t mind riding slower if it helps you. I’ve taught 5 or 6 people to ride, and never have a problem holdin up the back end on a group ride if it means they feel more comfortable.

Obviously that statement has a deeper meaning but I didn’t see it. What is it?

Unfortunately, you’re 100% right. This is why i ride solo 95% of the time every summer. And the people i do occasionally ride with are 2-3 very close friends, and we are all really close skill wise so it doesn’t make it uncomfortable for any of us.

I get goosebumps every time i think about how many people, even locally, die on these things each summer and it honestly keeps me in check. Thankfully i’ve been fortunate and blessed to have 4 summers (20k) of riding and no accidents, injuries, or even drops.

Andy makes a lot of good points but the fact of the matter is 10% of riders are going to take it for worth. Luckily i had a great teacher (my dad) and i take everything I’ve learned thus far to heart.

I hope everyone has a safe summer, don’t be showboats and try to impress your friends and stay within your means, its not that hard.

i’m going to be buying a CB750 soon. it is a old bike 70’s I think. Only bad thing is its so damn tall. But the price is right.

I just wanted to add. I hate driving my car around bikes on a cruise. WATCH out for bike when driving guys. They are sneaky as hell.

I learned to ride on a 96 FZR600 that we eloquently reffered to as “The Terminator” because it was maroon and purple and the windshield looked like a sail. It was slow, easy to ride and was $2500 so when I dropped it I didn’t care. I owned another 600 which was better than its predecessor and THEN, after I had some experience I bought an Erion Edition CBR929.

THINK WITH YOUR BRAIN, NOT YOUR EGO.

remember you look cool just because your on a bike, not because you can go fast and do wheelies.

great thread:tup::tup:

if you aren’t doing wheelies in traffic you’re a pussy.

grow some balls.

Great advice!!! I did not have a great teacher when i started two years ago and i was that dumb ass for the most part ridding with more experienced riders, always trying to keep up. Untill one day when a bunch of us were metting up on transit and one never showed up. We thought he went home but he didnt he hit the gaurd rail at 75 and lost his leg that same night i got a phone call that my friends dad got in an accident on his harley and hes in a comma to this day. On our way to see him two of my buddies were confused on the directions and crashed in to each other nothing bad but the bikes.Always know where you ar going, Always search for a missing member of the group(dont assume he went home), and NO DRINKING! ON a good note there is nothing like riding just be aware and looking foward to a great season

Great advice. Maybe it’s my oldness showing again but I don’t think a 600 sport bike is a good “starter bike”. I learned to ride on a GS300L. Twin cyl 300 cc and to me that’s a great starter bike. Any 600 will break 100 without even thinking about it. I’d love to get back into riding but every time I look at a bike I picture my kid growing up without a dad because of some idiot pulling out in front of me and I just can’t justify the risk.