Help?

Ok guys, so I’m putting this out there. I don’t know like anything about bikes, but… I am looking to get one in about a month. I’m taking the licensing course at the beginning of April.

I’m basically looking for someone that can help me look at bikes and can let me know if I’m getting ripped off. If I go to a dealer or a person, they could pretty much tell me anything and I wouldn’t really know. I have a few friends in Rochester, but they can’t really come help me look out here.

Ok. Thanks! PM me if you’d like to help. :slight_smile:

Good idea, I bought my first bike with out knowing bikes and a month later I see the headlight housing is cracked and a bunch of other stuff of the tell tale sign its been dumped.

Do you know any mechanics in WNY?

If not could you pay one $50 to come have a look with you?

i could take a look at one if you find one, and my friend would come too if you wanted, take a short test ride make sure everything is legit, thats what i did when i went to get mine, how much are you looking to spend?

I would have no problem going to check some bikes out. shoot me a pm if you need someone to go with you.

x2, I am always willing to help a fellow biker “get on his feet” properly.

Aw thanks. Would you recommend a dealership or trying to find a person?

Since this is my first bike, I don’t want to spend over 4,000.

X3

look on craigslist thats where i picked mine up… paid 5200 for it but it was well worth it

4,000 is a bit much to spend on a first bike.

Buy something small, and cheap to start on. Something along the lines of a…

cbr f3
90’s gxxr
katana 600
sv 650
ninja 250/500

etc.

Don’t get in over your head to start, and it’s good you are planning to take the course. IT IS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO WHEN STARTING RIDING. SERIOUSLY!

I’m sure Willy can chime in with more advice, he got me off to a good start and he definitely knows his stuff :tup:

Oh, and as long as you start properly you will find it to be the most enjoyable addicting thing ever.

x2… make sure you don’t mind dumping your first bike because you will. it’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when. Spent 2-3K and learn how to ride it without worry and then move up from there.

good luck and have fun.

You can but ALOT of bike for 4k, especially in this market. I started on an f3, good reliable bike, not too ugly, and it has enough power to go, but not too much where it can get out of control too fast.

Plus if you buy something that is older you can usually sell it for what you bought it for, which is great when next summer rolls around and you are looking to upgrade

Yes, YOU WILL DUMP YOUR FIRST BIKE.

Buy it, ride it for a few months, sell it for what you bought it for and get what you really want. No point in messing up an expensive first bike, or worse… hurting yourself badly.

Think smart.

also dont rush into buying a bike right away just because its the first one you find that you think you might like and dont want to miss out on that “great deal”… i made that mistake by picking one too quick that everyone thought was awsome and a great deal and a few months later i realized i wish i had bought something different…TAKE YOUR TIME picking out the right one!! the way it fits and feels and how comfortable you feel on it is far more important that the make/model…or how “cool” it looks… thats my 2 cents…

i rushed into mine cause of the great deal thing but i also had rode a lot of different bikes before i committed to actual buying one u have to get what u feel is the best bike for you i looked at 250s but i didnt feel right on them and i honestly didnt care about the size cause if i got sick of it after i rode for awhile i would trade it in… i ended up with a 600 but like i said i also have rode before …its all what feels the best to you

Hey man I wouldnt mind showin ya whats what and finding you a good bike. Then maybe we can make out afterwards?

word. you’re going about it the right way. i didn’t get screwed on mine at all, it was fair, but i bought the first thing that fell in my lap in my price range. a month later i found a few better bikes for around what i paid though.

there is an awesome yzf600r that would make a GREAT first bike, a little rash so no worries if you drop for sale right on here.