To ALL the new bike riders

Sometimes I wish I was still into riding bikes but after seeing the things I have on my bike, I retired. I try to help out as much as I can when possible and I have been debating about throwing this information out there. Well I know someone who can actually show you new riders how to ride a bike the right way and show you the ins and outs of riding. His name is George and he may be able to take you under his wing. In my opinion he is the best street rider I have ever seen. You can find him alot saturday mornings during the summer on the corner of Seneca and transit at the Sunco (the one that sales the race gas). He is a great guy and is truley blessed with his riding skills. If you get a chance and want to learn, start hanging out there at that sunco and you may start finding riders from wnysportriders.org if they still meet up there.

I just dont want to see you guys get hurt or worse because you dont have the guidance in what your machines can do. Stay safe out there, get the RIGHT riding gear and NEVER ride beyond your limits. Its YOUR throttle and your in control of it, no one else!

If this is the same George I’m thinking about, then yes. The guy is a great rider.

this is a great suggestion, but in my experience of riding and selling bikes for the past few years the people that need the help are also the ones that wont ask for it. Most new riders it is easier for them to just act like they know it all, or spew bullshit like i used to ride dirtbikes back in the day or whatever.

Thumbs up to someone reaching out to the new riders as we see year after year, it is not getting any safer out there. I have only had my bike out 10 times or so this year but im always amazed at the other asshats i see on the road. Maybe im getting old, and my sportbike days are gone, but fast bikes are getting cheaper and the squids are getting plentiful.

Well said, it’s so true as you said that it’s always the people that DON’T want help that actually need it the most.

One of the toughest things for me to control when I first started riding was my throttle. By this I mean riding with a group of more experienced riders and not feeling obligated to keep up at all times. Ride your own ride and worry about yourself.

A few things I tell everyone:

-MSF
-PROPER GEAR including over the ankle footwear.
-Ride your own ride.
-It’s never you, it’s always the cagers. Watch out for the cagers.
-Have fun, leave the schenangins for the track.

I feel like the MSF course is a GREAT start to learning how to ride a bike, but by no means is it a certificate to know everything. Riding takes practice, practice and more practice. I’ve been around motorcycles and dirt bikes for the past 10 years now and I still find myself learning.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Also, do track days.

No amount of time on a motorcycle can compare to a single track day. You learn how to push the bike to the very extremes in a safe and controlled manner, the instructors are SPOT on with advice and quite honestly…it takes away the whole “I wanna fuck around on the streets today” mentality, because once you get the rush from going 160 down a back straight into a hard right and over a increasing grade left bank…street riding feels like child’s play.

I would be down for this. I am always willing to learn more about proper riding techniques from good riders and believe that no matter how much you know about your bike, there is always someone that knows more. I ride to really enjoy being outside. I am not a big corner person because I don’t want to damage my bike or myself but would love to hear pointers and stuff about general street riding.

My bike pretty much scares the shit out of me so it’s rare that I create problems for myself. Those around me…well that’s another story.

I always laugh when I think of one of my first group rides with some of the guys on here. We cruised the streets for a bit and I brought up the rear most of the way until we hit the highway. I got left in the dust for a number of reasons, but mainly because my bike and my skills simply could not keep up. But I didn’t push it, just rode within my comfort level and bailed out when I couldn’t see the guys ahead of me anymore.

In hindsight we agreed we should have figured out a way to stay in contact with each other so there’s no concern for lost riders, but I ended up posting up here that I had bailed out since I just couldn’t keep up. Could I have pushed it? Absolutely, but not without risking the safety of myself and probably anyone else around me. After a couple years now I feel a lot better about myself and really have learned a lot…and still have so much to go. Hopefully I can get to a track day or two when I get my next bike.

When I 1st started I had a book that specifically went over sportbike riding in the real world. In the rain, etc…
It was a handy book and had a few good tips but I lent it out never to be seen again. It was that and twist of the wrist I “lost”.

Also, I have a bunch of bike pdf’s ebooks I can send out should anyone have the desire.
twist of the wrist, etc…

Ya I like riding with people on here. I have no problem hanging out in the back and letting people take turns at 80 and anyone I have ridden with here as never given me shit for taking turns slow either which makes it better. We usually regroup at the stop signs and the trails are simple so people can catch up. I could probably follow their line and keep up but as you said, why risk any damage to you, your bike, or the group.

Sent you a PM. Love learning new/better/safer techniques.

1. Get those 2CT’s.
  2. Ride with us.

… and you will be!

while the group is very good with “the pace,” I recommend being comfortable on your bike (not ego-inflated) and having a suit or at least jacket/pants & boots before riding with george, he gets low.

good guy, haven’t seen him since that trackday at cayuga

If I got into track days I would be a little more adventurous but on the main road, I worry about the little things like gravel, cars, unknown bumps in the road, etc.

Things to consider:

You have a full-suit - you are not a super hero, nor are you invincible

You’ve taken the MSF course - you are not ready for the streets, regardless of what you may think

You haven’t crashed/dropped a bike before - keep riding and eventually it’ll happen.

You ride with the best riders in the area - good, but keep your head level because you aren’t one of the best, you’re learning from the best.

That all being said, riding is arguably the most pure form of motor sports, and although very dangerous it is THE most rewarding activity if you’re willing to learn, practice and be safe.

Idk who said it, but riding sure beats the hell out of golf.

George is def a great rider, makes it looks very easy. I rode with him a couple times last summer. He was frequenting 716riders.com for a while and would go on some group rides. He was supposed to show me some new roads in the area but still haven’t gone out with him yet this year.

I think the most important thing for new riders is not to mistake confidence with skill. Don’t go over your limits, ride your own ride, not someone elses. I preach this every ride for new people. I have no problem waiting for people who aren’t as fast as others.

Oh totally, the people on here are great to ride with. That was just a noob moment for me that thankfully I did the sensible thing. There have been a handful of times though where I have pushed the limits and luckily nothing bad came from them. Biggest thing I noticed with myself and other new riders is not turning their head to look through turns. They end up target fixating (guilty of this a number of times but have gotten better) and the next thing you know you are either cutting the corner too sharply or going wide onto a shoulder or into oncoming traffic. You just have to have the patience to know that you will get better slowly, it just takes time.

Slow, look, lean, roll throttle, profit.

Ya I agree. Looking is the best. Chris gave me this advice last time I was with him and also when I was figuring out positioning on the bike told me to work on “kissing the mirrors” as your turn and it definitely was a huge help and really can feel the bike want to turn better and in control.

Slow, Look, Press and Roll is the proper verbage for the 4 step process.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Not big on corners? wtf, why bother riding then, might as well go drive the cage down the 90… Learn the proper technique from a proper rider coach, THEN you’ll be able to separate the utter bullshit you’re going to hear from some people from legitimate tips and pointers from actual riders. You cannot imagine the nonsense you’ll hear, and it’s so much easier to learn proper technique than trying to fix ingrained bad habits as well.

I was just throwing it out there for Willybeen to pick up actually but you’re 100% correct.

I can’t stress enough though the benefits of legitimate instruction. Between MSF instructors and AMA racers/instructors out at Mid-Ohio, I gained sooo much knowledge as far as knowing my ability and pushing the bike to it’s limits. But at the same time none of this happens over a course or a weekend, it’s all about retaining the knowledge you learn and practicing it everytime you get on the bike.