Why do you ride? what got you started?

Im considering buying a bike. Buddy has a 05 R6 for a good price. Im wondering why the wonderful ppl of NYspeed started riding?? How many ppl are married? I ask this because I am married with a kid. Even though my wife says she has no problem with me getting a bike, I think deep down she doesnt want me to have one. Does going down come and getting hurt or worst ever enter your mind?? It seems like every time I talk about getting a bike, I hear about a accident the same day. I know I could get hurt crossing the street or driving my car, but I it still comes up from time to time. Looking for pros and cons. If i dont buy a bike, Im buying a stang.

when i was 17 a used on this board was going a groupbuy for the msf course. I figured why not, I’d take it but not get a bike. well yeah after the first day of msf i started looking for bikes

For the girls and bumping it off the rev limiter whiel cruising chippewa…but seriously i always rode dirt bike/some mx and decide i liked the streets a little better

04 636 ninja, took the msf course, totaled my first bike (05 CBR600rr), learned a ton from the accident and enjoy every minute of riding now.

Of course there is the risk of it happening again, but its a risk im willing to take, i’m only 19 and don’t have a family though, so your situation is quite different.

It’s like everyone is going to tell you, it’s not the rider that causes accidents (in most cases) it’s the other drivers out there.

My buddy let me ride his monster 1000 in italy and i’ve liked it ever since.

I watched “Biker Boys”

I watched “Torque”

Rode motocross for 10 years, then moved to the street. Been riding street for past 6 now.

I rode notice the past tense because:

1. It’s a great way to get out and cruise just for fun.
  2. Gas mileage was amazing.
  3. Motorcycle parking at Buff State >>>>>>>>>>>>>> car parking.

I sold my bike and don’t plan to ride anymore because:

1. I have a kid, and the reward of the bike just isn’t worth the risk of her growing up without a dad.
  2. The number of people on cell phones talking and texting has made it even more likely you’re going to get hit.

number 1 is why im iffy. yeah it would be a great way to get out with the guys but none of them have a kid to worry about. I think a vert cobra would be great for family cruises.

I got interested in it, and decided to buy a bike to learn on, and have loved it since.

First bike was a '99 Katana, and now I have an '03 600rr with some front end mods.

siq mods :frowning:

Bro mods

Yep. I’ll admit I got rid of the bike long before I even started thinking about having a kid. I had just graduated college, the bike needed some work, and instead of dumping the money into I sold it. A few times after that I came close to getting another one but always needed the money for something else. Now that I can afford to go buy one I look at the kid and think about the one close call I had when I had my old bike and I just can’t justify the risk.

Once she’s out of college and I’m old and gray I can see myself getting another bike though. :lol:

Hahah +1

I enjoy the experience and getting groups of bikes together is easier than car guys.

Also better gas mileage and easier to park

We’ll talk about this in person. I’m tired of typing…

but mainly for chicks… i love going places and just carrying my helmet and gloves with me.

Oh yea… also for the buttsexcks <3 eclipsed,jay,geoff, scott, woody, etc etc etc.

!

You dont need a bike for that. Just a helmet and gloves.

Add:
3. Old people pulling out of lowes garden center with the entire fucking hanging gardens in their Cutlass, and a rain forest sticking out every window, ZERO visibility and ZERO concern. Just gas 'n go gramma, gas 'n go.

(i’m not selling my bike, that was just scary :ohnoes: )

I’ve always been fascinated with bikes and anything with 2 wheels in general. Growing up my families money was always dumped into hockey for me and my bro. I always begged for a dirtbike but it was never in the budget, so my brother and myself got big into mountain/bmx biking.

Once I got my license I started putting money away…then I went to college and spent it all…lol

Now a senior at Fredonia, I saved a few pennies last summer and was able to afford an older gsxr 600, insurance, gear, and MSF COURSE outright. I don’t owe a cent on any of it.

Having a bike is great, it’s a ton of fun and whenever I get bored…well…I ride and I am not bored. Every time I ride I think about getting hurt, the thought just does not escape my mind. I feel that if I didn’t think along these lines I would be at a much greater risk of hurting myself or others.

So yeah…get a bike…ride safe (you’ve got a family back home)…take the msf course…and always wear gear!..oh yeah, and have fun!