Questions Regarding Riding

Before riding a motorcycle, did you have prior experience on a moped, dirt bike, or any other motorized bike?

If not, did you just decide to get on a bike and ride? Were you scared?

The reason I ask this is, because as much as I hate to admit it, I think I want to learn how to ride a motorcycle. The only reason I don’t want to, is because both of my parents ride, and my entire life I’ve been asked when I’m going to start. And now I’m actually thinking about it, ew.

But I’m scared as fuck. I rode on a minibike once, and wiped out so bad. Other than that, my 2-wheeled-vehicle is limited to a bicycle, and sitting on the back, with my dad, on his bike.

I read the thread about starting to ride already. I would probably start riding on an '81 Harley Superglide, because that’s what is available to me. Is that a bad bike to learn on? I’ve sat on it a million times, and can stand with it off the kickstand… but other than that, nothing.

I can’t believe I’m thinking about this. Tonight, a motorcycle passed me on Rt. 20, and I can’t stop thinking about that being me. How weird.

If you’re looking to get into riding, even just if your unsure and want to try it out, it’s worth it to take the msf course. http://www.ridewpride.com/ It cost around $300 to take, but you get your license at the end, and for someone that has never been on a bike it will teach you, and explain even the most basic of things as to how bikes work. I could go on for days about proper gear and starting on a small bike and blah blah blah but don’t feel like typing that much right now. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, or post up here and myself and others should be able to answer them for you.

Answers in red Dawn.

If your parents want you to ride so bad have them pay the 300 bucks to take the MSF course and get your license. Then after the course decide if you want to continue riding… but I can guarentee after the course you will want to ride, and not be scared anymore and have the confidence you need to ride on the street.

word … im in bed ill touch on this tomorrow… msf …would be ideal.

ps i had zero experience before jumping on a street bike. i think a superglide might be a bit big…

I also had No experience whatsoever when getting my first bike, just went to the dealership and bought it, put it in a truck to get it home, and started riding. Took the msf a few weeks later.

I rode a friends duel sport, and got hooked. Definitely take the MSF, it will let you know if you want to go ahead with riding or not, and you will save 10% on your car and motorcycle insurance for 3 years :tup:

Yowzers, Dawn’s getting a bike…

my mother(5’7" ~130lbs) learned on a new Fatboy. The nice thing about a full size Harley is the low seat height and cruiser seating configuration. The negative is the weight, but as long as you take your time to get to know the bike you’ll be fine.

Go out and pick up a beater, esp. if that bike is their pride and joy. Are you looking into a sportbike or cruiser? Id buy an old gs500 or maxim or cb, ride it for a month or so and then pick up what you want mid season when prices have fallen through. As for learning, id say take the msf, it will give you “proven” step by step lessons on how to learn things, THE RIGHT WAY.

it might be boring at first, but you will learn a lot.

good luck.

MSF for sure!

I never rode in my life. Slow84TA had to ride my new softail home from the dealer for me. lol

After the first hands on class of 4 hours in the parking lot, I went home and rode right over the GI bridge and another 150 miles that night.

Rode my friends little XR80 a few times, then got a GS300L when I was 17 and got my permit. I had been riding quads (a 500 quadzilla) a lot before that so at least I was familiar with the hand clutch and front brake with pedal rear brake concept. Never took the MSF but growing up in the boonies where I was I doubt there was one within 50 miles because no one I knew took one.

Around here you’d be stupid not to take one with it being so accessible.

Rode dirtbikes for 5 years, but honestly a sportbike is a whole new monster, I basically only knew how to shift, brake and start lol

I’m gonna be beating a dead horse but MSF, MSF, MSF.

Also don’t bite off more than you can chew, like William so beautifully stated, buy a beater and then move up once you’re comfortable

Purchase life insurance, make out a last will & testament, get a health care proxy, preplan funeral. A blind moron is just waiting to take you out. Is it worth it? I gave it up after 5 years of being invisable to cars. Good luck, you’ll need it!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/deercula/MSF1.jpg?t=1242217943

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/deercula/MSF2.jpg?t=1242218031

Not exactly the info I’d give her but okay?

Would you encourage your mother to get a bike?

I would actually.

I’m not looking to argue, I suppose for some people it’s a lifestyle, other people it’s just a mode of transportation.

To each their own I guess

My mom is in her 70’s and if she could physically ride, she would. So the answer is yes. You can spend your days hiding from danger and risk but you’ll miss out on life.

^couldn’t have said it better butch

I don’t feel telling her riding is a death sentence is the info she’s looking for. You’re just as well to get killed at a crosswalk by a blind driver as you are on a bike.

You ride to enjoy it, cuz if you didn’t you would just drive a car.

MSF!

I started a few years back when B5a4 had an extra bike. He showed me the ropes and taught me the basic’s After that I picked up a bike and then took the MSF class last year.

As everyone has said the MSF is very helpful. In my class there was a handful of people who had never even rode before and by the time they left they were very comfortable riding.