Basic Bike Help

Normally i’d search for something like this as I am sure these questions have been asked before but it seemed to general a topic a to effectively search for…

anyways, recently I have been considering getting my bike permit and giving the whole motorcycle thing a shot, before I do however, I wanted to ask you guys a couple basic questions about bikes as well as the license itself.

first off, will getting the permit or license, but not buying a bike increase my insurance? I know insurance companies watch for stuff like that and I wanted to know if they will actually act on me getting the permit or license?

Next, aside from when the roads are absolutely awful, is it possible to use a bike year-round with the right clothing, or does it just get way too fucking cold?

I had heard that any bike over 500cc is considered uninsurable, is this true and what the fuck does it mean?

finally, if I decide to go for it, do you guys have any suggestions on a cheap, reliable, easy to ride, and not too fast bike I should get as a learn to ride/get my license bike?

Thanks for any help

In my personal experience, my geico car insurance rates have not changed since getting my permit. Nor have I ever heard of a permit increasing insurance rates.

In our climate, a year round bike is not very practical. And most people would advise not trying to ride even when the weather is fairly clear because it’s so cold and all it takes is one icy patch for you to not see ahead of time.

Plenty of guys on here has over 500cc bikes fully insured, so that won’t be a problem. Do your research, you may find better rates with a company other than your current car insurance company. Progressive was much cheaper for my bike than Geico.

For starters, your best bet is something like a 250cc Ninja (if you’re looking into sport bikes). They can be found for relatively cheap and are easier to learn on.

And everyone’s going to tell you to take the MSF course. I’m planning on taking it later this spring. It just makes no sense not to, and it will reduce your insurance rate.

I havent been riding that long so im sure some of the more experienced riders will chime in on this as well

getting your permit or license will have no effect on your current insurance

unless you live down south you can not ride year round. if it snows your screwed and it gets way to cold here in ny.

you can insure anybike it might be more expensive the younger you are but you can insure it. the higher the CC the more it will cost.

get a used bike no matter what. you will always crash your first bike maybe not crash it but it will go down as for a first bike it all depends on what you want to ride a streetbike,crusier or a motard

thanks guys, looks like I went to the right place for these questions

what are the differences between the various kinds of bikes? I am looking for something comfortable, reliable, and easy to ride and maneuver, I was told by a friend that you can take your license test on any bike but it is next to impossible to pass on certain kinds such as powerful rockets

I don’t know how old you are, but any 2000 and up 600cc bike with full insurance (under the age ~22) will probably be around ~3500 a year.

Im 19 with a 02 600cc

I called every insurance company I could find in the area

Best quote I received was

Liability: State min 160/yr
Lia/theft (State min + theft, fire, natural disaster…) 620/yr
^^what I have now.
Full coverage 3250/yr

and my record is clean.

Ride with pride MSF course. Look it up.

It sounds to me like you need to do much more research before considering a bike.

… and i’m not saying it sound like a dick, but some of what you are asking is ridiculous.

If you take the MSF course, they provide bikes for you and some of the gear and it will take the place of your licensing test. That really is your best bet. Do you prefer something sporty or are you more so looking for just something to cruise around in? It’s two different worlds when you compare them in power, weight, handling, ect. qualities. Like I said though, something like a 250cc Ninja is light, easy to ride and maneuver with. Start small and once you’re more comfortable and experienced, you can step up to something a little bigger and better.

Take the MSF course…you get your license after and 10% off insurance which covers, if not more of the cost of the class.

Also, depends on what bike you want…sport? Cruiser?

SV650 is a decent beginner bike, ninja 250, 500…

yes i know, but i gotta start somewhere, and i figured asking you guys would get me a lot farther than staring at a lot of info i may or may not understand on some website that may or may not be legitimate. I understand I have a ways to go before I am ready so don’t worry, you won’t have some idiot with a big fancy bike running around putting people at risk

when I am ready for a bike however, about hom much should I be looking to spend for a first?

a cruiser sounds more like what i’d be interested in, just something to get me around campus/town in the summer, I don’t need to go a billion miles per hour

First bike? 250cc’s can be found for relatively cheap and you’ll want to upgrade fairly soon after you get better at riding. So it doesn’t make sense to buy something very expensive for a first bike, you can probably sell it once you’re done with it for close, if not as much, as you bought it for.

Motorcycles are not something cheap.

MSF class ~250
Bike (USED! you will drop it, its your first, not your last) ~500-2000
Tax, Reg, DMV fees ~ 300
Insurance ~500
tires (If you need them) ~300 which aren’t car tires that last 30k miles you may get 5k on a sport bike.
Gear ~500

It adds up quick!

I don’t doubt it

as for this MSF class, can I walk into it with no bike riding knowledge or should i have some basic bike riding ability before i sign up?

Do yourself a favor and take the MSF course before you go any further. It will give you an introduction to riding, and riding safely.

There are also a ton of guys there that will be able to point you in the right direction to get you started.

PLUS, when you are done with the course and pass hopefully, you will be a licensed rider.

:tup:

GL man, just make sure to go about things the right way and you’ll be fine.

EDIT: no riding experience necessary for the course. Just go to the dmv and get your permit, it’s only a short, multiple choice test. You will also need to invest in some over-the-ankle shoes if you don’t already own a pair. The course will provide the rest for you.

awesome, i’ll do that then, so pretty much I will need whatever the cost of the permit(if there is any?), about $250 for the MSF, and then the cost of the license(once again, if there is any?)

I think it’s like 10-20 for the permit… I can’t remember.
(keep in mind the permit is only valid for one year)

Yes, the cost for the MSF course.

Once you complete the course you will receive a certificate of completion that you can take to the DMV and automatically you will receive your license. It only costs $10 for that.

The certificate is also good for insurance reductions if/when you decide to buy a bike.

sweet, i’ll go look into the course

oh and while it’ll be awhile before i buy, more suggestions on a first bike will give me more to research…and oogle lol

Get your permit, buy a gixxer 1000 and wheelie all day and night.

DON’T. I LIE!

Go get your permit at the DMV, before that…grab the permit study book from the DMV and read up on it.

Take the test, pass it. Profit.

After the permit, sign up for the MSF course. NY RIDE with PRIDE. It’s roughly 275.00, but the experience you gain is priceless, plus it waives your roadtest so you will get your license after, takes off up to 10% on your car insurance/bike insurance, and any points up to (3?) on your license will get removed.

AFTER ALL OF THAT…

Start looking for a bike. And don’t go big. This is your first bike, and it’s probably going to get laid down. Buy a used bike, if you can get a 250cc ninja do it. This will be your first bike and definitely not your last.

Ride it a season, learn to control it, get used to everything, and then if you feel comfortable, resell the bike at the end of the season or beginning of next, it will hold value, and then start looking for whatever type of bike you’d like.

If you want a sportbike, 600’s are not bad, it’s all about the rider. A used 600rr or gsxr can be fetched for under 5k EASY.

If you want a cruiser…I’m sorry. lol.

^ indeed.