NASCC Lapping Event. June 20 / 21

[QUOTE=feyd182;122799]Not gonna flush my system for 1 day, sorry guys I’m out.[/QUOTE

You’d skip this for the cost of a jug of antifreeze and 15 minutes of “work”?

Lame.

Yeah, I’ll have to seriously rethink this too.

It’s more than “15 minutes work” on my car. On top of that, running water with no glycol in the Z32 is not recommended as it can damage the water pump (insufficient lubrication).

There’s a good chance I can’t make the first event on the June weekend anyways as my car will likely be apart over that time period, but there’s still time for me to think about the August one.

isnt it possible to use water…then throw in a bit of water wetter? as i heard that stuff i dont want to say compensates for it…but at least makes it better.

Im still under warranty with less then 38K on the car. So Yeah. I will skip. lol.

yay for already running water wetterr :), as for running water and water wetter being less “lubrication” i highly doubt that, the water pump is turned by your serpentine belt … that turns the pulley which is attached to a shaft and bearing which rotates and is a sealed bearing usually filled with grease “lubricant” then sealed from the coolant / water inside the block and its not going to run ay hotter if it does it wont make enough of a difference to wreck your waterpump …

bahaha well you got to start somewhere ? and since i cant afford the tires for drifting right now a road race seems like the next best thing

Convertibles will require a roll bar.

For those of you that are complaining about the use of water in the cooling system. you are more then welcome to attend some of the speedway events @ stratotech over the summer. That way your coolant flush won’t be a one day deal. Also this event is 2 days. Saturday and Sunday :laugh: To me that excuse sounds a lot more like a bench racer cop out then a real reason for not attending.

I will look further into the coolant regulation to see if there is a way around it for the lapping groups. The military has added a lot of environmental regulations to our use of the track this year.

People have gone off track at Namao and there are things to hit out in the field. Not a lot of them but there are still some remnants from when it was a actual runway. I will throw up a map of what the track is going to look like… The reason we can run so many cars is the fact that the track is the whole runway wide in most places… which is around 80-100 feet That is more then enough room for everyone to find a way around without hitting someone else… its a Lapping session not a race… if you hit another car, you are a retard… end of story.

A very basic track map can be found here.
http://straightpipe.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=3970#post3970

Way more than 15 minutes of work my friend, besides being a mechanic and working on cars all day long I really don’t feel like messing around with my daily, I know that sounds lame, but money being as scarce as it is right now I can’t afford to screw up a $6000 engine for a few hours of fun. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to try it but it’s just not feasible for me right now.

I can’t comprehend how draining a radiator and flushing it is all that much work but whatever…everyone has their own definition of work.

But let’s clarify: race cars do not run antifreeze in their cooling systems and strangely this doesn’t seem to hurt these high performance engines. “Not having antifreeze will hurt my engine” = lack of knowledge (I say that respectfully)

No offense taken, but it’s money I don’t have right now. Besides, would it not also require flushing out the heater core as well? How does running straight tap water in an all aluminum engine hold up? A QR25DE runs extremely hot to begin with, hot enough to melt an engine cover, so my thoughts are that it would boil a lot easier. And with most race/ hi perf. racing engines, are they not regularly torn down for service and repairs? Anyhoo, not trying to start a pissing contest, I’m just not comfortable with running straight water in my system, besides I’m still under warranty so I gotta be conservative with my mods till the end of the year. I understand where you are coming from, but it is a p.i.t.a. to flush and fill and bleed, yadda, yadda.

I am sorry to say this but if your a mechanic that works on cars all day you should know how to do this correctly and there should be zero risk of damaging the engine. You should never use tap water in your cooling system. If your doing the swap you should use distilled water only to prevent mineral deposits from forming inside your engine, which can lead to hot spotting and damage. Running water should have no effect on yours car warranty. From my understanding there are no Nissans that run special coolant additives to prevent overheating.

It’s not just the physical act of draining and refilling. You have to ensure you properly bleed out any air in the system before you “hit the track”.

For people using a daily driver, this means doing that whole procedure not once but twice, assuming they return to a water/glycol mix after the event.

But let’s clarify: race cars do not run antifreeze in their cooling systems and strangely this doesn’t seem to hurt these high performance engines. “Not having antifreeze will hurt my engine” = lack of knowledge (I say that respectfully)

I’m sorry but you do not seem to understand the issue for those of us that would use our street cars. (I understand that different considerations can be made for dedicated race/track cars).

Two issues:

1. Glycol helps lubricate the water pump’s bearing seals, which will prolong the life of the pump. This is not opinion, this is fact. While I agree that running straight water for a short duration like an event or two, probably won’t hurt it, this is not something a person should want to do for the entire summer driving season (6-7 months) in their street car.
  2. Even Redline themselves, the makers of “Water Wetter”, do not recommend running less than 20% glycol in your coolant mix if you have air conditioning and intend to use it. You could freeze the heater core in the absence of any glycol, which would lead to obvious problems. Again, this is irrelevant for “race cars” that probably don’t have A/C anyway, but for guys that would be tracking their street cars this is an important detail. Sure you wouldn’t use A/C during a racing event (duh), but you’d better remember that you can’t use it the entire time you’re running just water.

I DO KNOW HOW TO DO THIS! Been doing it for over 10 years now, why do people not listen?? I CLEARLY STATED that I don’t have the money to go out and buy jugs of distilled water, or jugs of anti freeze. ALL I MERELY STATED WAS I DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH THE WHOLE PROCESS FOR A FEW HOURS OF FUN. NOW DROP IT!!!:mad:

I’m sorry to say that if people obviously can’t read, they shouldn’t comment. Sorry if this sounds angry, but why don’t people just accept my decision and leave it at that??

whoa whoa… easy there everyone… its just all about having fun… i mean if ppl arent going go participate… then i think thats there own choice… i mean it might be feesible for some to do it and not for others so its all good i think… Smile? its almost friday? lol

Finally, someone who listens, thank you. I’m not the only one dropping out for this reason, so why am I getting flamed? Any more comments like the the ones I’ve been getting and I’ll lock down this thread.

Believe me, I would love to come out for this event but I just don’t have the time or the money.

:thumbdown:

Some people require a little prodding to get them out there first time. I was just trying to push you a little so you can come and see how fun it really is. We might not have to run water anyway I sent a email about it and I am just waiting for a message back.

Believe me, I don’t need prodding, I’ve done track events before. After losing my full time job 2 months ago due to this crappy recession, having a mortgage, credit card, and tool payments, and a $4000 property tax bill I’m about $10K in the hole. I just started working again and am slowly digging myself out, so there is much more to the story, that is why I asked ppl to drop it cause it thoroughly pisses me off to be stuck in this position. No offense taken, I’m just not in the best or happiest frame of mind.

Mike,

Can you post up or link to the NASCC events that us “newbs” can participate in, i.e., lapping days at Namao and stratotech?

…and the tech requirements.

The NASCC website can be found here.

www.Nascc.ab.ca

I would recommend that people come to the club meetings on the 1st and 3rd Wed of the month and see what goes on and how to get involved with the club. Not that I am trying to steal members from the NECC but the NASCC is the only real racing club in the area and we are always looking for people to come get involved in racing. There is a little more information about the event there.

I got a email back yesterday from Jed our race director and he said that coolant does not need to be swapped in the supregs that were OK’ed by the military. I will try and get a hold of the lapping tech sheet and post it up for you guys.

The only real events that we have open for street cars are these lapping events that are run during our summer race dates. There are also lapping events in calgary at race city run by ARCA. The money brought in from these lapping events helps to cover some of the costs that the clubs incur setting up to go racing.

We are working on running some Autocross events in conjunction with Northlands to better help promote the Indy. I am not sure if that is going to happen though as the Indy is basically 2 months away at this point.