NickAlero's '98 CL

For now. Ditch autotragic, install 6-speed. Tell them about the class-action lawsuit and recall honda had to go through with the first generation J-series trannies. It earned its nickname for a reason.

wtf are you talking about

Look up honda accord V6 transmission failure or transmission lawsuit or transmission recall. Cost honda a lot of money.

Its a widespread problem. Acura CL/TL has the same engine and trans, it was basically all of their V6 trannies until like 2004 or something

nick, the trans in my tdi is also a very weak point… what happens is they get hot and start to act funny and jittery… what i’ve been doing to pro-long the tranny life is this.

at long traffic lights, put the trans in neutral, so it doesnt get hot since your not sitting on the tq converter.

i’ve put almost 23k on mime since i bought it and they usually shit the bed around 140ish… im at 166k.

OK, good idea… I’m sure the dealership will just do a 6 speed swap with no issues what so ever.

So I had “the talk” with my parents this weekend.

The hunt for the CL-S 6-speed starts now. YES!!!

The CL will be up for sale in a little while.

:facepalm

:ponder

:lol

I’d be looking for closer to $5000.00 for her. She’s in amazing shape for a 12 year old car. One dime sized rust spot. Very little scratches. 128xxx miles. Etc…

I’ll do a full f/s at some point, most likely when I have some extra cash to lay out for whatever I choose to drive next.

:eek3

I had my uncle take a look at her over the weekend. She just needed a transmission fluid flush/refill. Shifts like absolute butter now. From the looks of things he said it had probably been the original trans fluid. To add to the good news, no metal shavings showed up in the fluid, which can happen. While I’m confident that I could pull another 130,000 miles out of the car, it is time for me to get into a manual transmission car.

EDIT: While you guys may not know me well, know that I would under NO condition sell anything that I felt was under any condition to fail, under any circumstances. Before the sale of this car, I’d be willing to let anyone’s personal mechanic take a look at the car for any issues. A car is an important part of someone’s life, for most, it is how they get to work or school. I couldn’t live with myself knowing I sold someone something that could compromise someone’s ability to perform their responsibilities. Also, before my FS ad is put on Craigslist, I will be sure that any existing issues I may not see are found and taken care of. The only one I currently know of is needing new rear brake pads. Those are being replaced tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the heart to heart

Idk who is looking for what. Anyone could be a potential buyer, so I want to be sure that whoever buys it knows they’re gonna have as mechanically reliable of a car as I enjoyed.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/kramerbuccs24/fdsa/fc6be346.jpg

Make it smaller so I can make it my avatar :rofl

Also, needs hater blockers.

Cool story on proving the 4088/alero setup. I would have to assume that the money involved to build/keep that running cost more than the car you have currently. Therefor dumping that kind of cash into a $3000 vehicle is IMO, dumb. And BTW I think every platform in the world was at some point built out the ass and “worked well”. Chevettes with monster power swapped in, Smart cars with 500Hp, minivans running 10’s… anything is possible with the right tools and money, FIESABLE, is a completely different story. Those one off cars were “projects” for people in the business, with the skills money and spare time to pull it off as a “lol check out this car man” kind of thing. Not the same playing field as a young kid taking of of the first cars he owned and bolting on 500hp.

Onto your next paragraph.
:rofl
“Now in their infinite wisdom you don’t let you drive a standard transmission car because they feel you cant handle it, so you buy another, automatic car, that still isnt much faster than the alero. Said car was purchased by car noob parents and the transmission shit the bed. So your going to try to convince your parents to let you swap a transmission that doesn’t even belong in the car? Are you going to mod the firewall to install the clutch pedal? What about the slave cylinder? Bleeding the system? Pulling the motor and physically doing the swap? etc… You dont strike me as a mechanic, no offense. And I 100% know your parents have zero idea what is involved in swapping any car from auto to manual.”

Maybe it was a little to far of a stretch of english there. I mentioned above (see bold) that you bought the car, and the “Said car was purchased by car noob parents” ment that by the way you made it all out to sound is you cracked open the piggy bank and said “Mom, Dad, can i buy this one with my very own money? Its an automatic like you said I have to buy”. So when i said yoru parents bought the car, didnt mean they paid for, put in their name, etc. everything, it ment more that they had to give the final OK to buy it. Whatever, theres no point anyways to argue this.

ANNNND the last part.
Your young, and because of this the exposure to car projects isnt allot, therefore you dont have aot of experience and knowledge. I am not holding that against you or putting you down for that, and thats fine. But start small man, those things you mentioned are great starting points: A. it wasn’t your money B: It wasnt your car so you got free hands on training with no consequences when it fucks up! Lol Sweet deal man. My word of advice is when you are doing those small projects learn everything about them, not just slap them in the car and call it a day, look what I can do. Just take the IC pipes for instance. There is A LOT to learn there: What are they, why do you need them, why are they 2” dia and not 3”? how many bends are in there, for each degree of a bend how much does it slow the flow? Why is it aluminum and not steel? Did you know aluminum isn’t ferrous, whats ferrous mean? Look at the welds, how did they do that? Did you know aluminum is welded with AC current, and ferrous metals use DC? Whats the difference between AC/DC welding? Why are the ends of the tubes bead rolled? How do they make those beads in the pipes? What kind of machine is used? See where I am going, take everything you see and run like hell with it. If you do this you will pick up A LOT of great knowledge, much more than these “bolt on” tuners/mechanics around here. Start small and work your way up. I still remember the “How to fix rust” post you had, and were going to fiberglass the patch like you did with some friends rockers or something like that. You gotta start somewhere sure, but take the time to do the small stuff right the first time, pick the projects you can bite off and swallow…not the ones that you will dribble down your shirt. lol

If you worked hard for your money, buy what you want. Do you have your own insurance? Your parents seem like liberals :lol

Prolly not. And for good reason parents telling him what he can and cant buy/drive. Too many fuckign idiot kids getting cars they cant handle and wrecking left and right, jacking up their parents insurance. They should have a law, after 18 you cant be insured under your parents anymore. If you cant afford it yourself you wont: A, buy some retarded new car you cant afford, just to look cool and wreck trying to do so. B, focus on spending money on college to get a life. C, learn the value of a dollar buy buying/driving what you can afford and when you wreck your new fancy car findout how much it sucks to loose it and get boned by the insurance companies/banks. D, give kids a better work ethic. the list could go on and on.

Buy a motard. That’ll show 'em.