NYS Trooper Down

Holy shit, that was hit hard… it blew the trunk off the car and the hood, not to mention taco’d it.

RIP and I wish his famliy the very best. As much as I hate cops, I am truly sorry to see that.

Ilya I think is going down the same path I think too. I see way too many cops, firemen and the like pulling stupid moves all over. My mother was t-boned about when I was little. We were going through an intersection where she had a green light and a cop threw the lights on to blow the red light and stuck us in the pass side rear end HARD. My mom had a Caprice Classic, and it was totaled, bent frame and all. If he hit me in my door I would have been fucked. We were very close to sueing them, becasue he didnt have a call to go to or a reason to do what he did. Luckly nobody was hurt, but the cop lost his job.

I’m going to say this…If the police want to continue disobeying there OWN pursuit guidelines…then some officers are going to die.
They have a strict set rules of engagement, he was disregarding these as he passed another car going the same direction without any warning. Flash of highbeams, strobes, etc. Obviously this did not happen or the other car would have probably seen him, on that note it didn’t matter if he did because the cop hit the OTHER driver. Not vice versa…so if i go out tonight and pass someone illegally and clip that person then end up dead. I expect a thread completely bashing my dumbass.
Darwin…FTL
Karma for the win…
and don"t come at me with some bullshit…I served this country in the coast guard when you were all in diapers…literally. USCG 90-92 so save the bullshit…no one got all weepy eyed when we came back from serving in the gulf…

As much as I dislike run ins with the law, its always horrible to see something like this happen. RIP.

you are a scumbag. when you pass someone on the road on a dotted yellow there isnt a requirement to do ANYTHING but use a directional. there is no need for strobes or highbeams in that situation. it is an unfortunate incident that he lost control. this man served our country as well as the state troopers for years and thats what you have to say. with any luck the “karma” will catch up with you. this man took an oath to protect and serve. to provide a blanket of security of which you enjoy daily without question. the least you can do is show some FUCKING RESPECT. ASSHOLE.

Again…no he has to follow guidelines you and I don’t have to follow, but then again you don’t know shit.
So you’re saying that my serving this country wasn’t enough? You’re the dick fucktard. Not to mention I didn’t attack the guy. I said he used very poor judgement. But you want to cut him a break for some reason…did you vote to bail out wall street and the banks too?

Which is basically what I said and got shit for.

Yes, it sucks that hes dead and yes I feel bad for his family. He was just doing his job. I respect that. Trust me. But from the sound/looks of it…he wasn’t thinking or was using poor judgement by going that fast on that kind of road.

Again, rumor has it his lights WEREN’T on. Neither was his siren. He WAS most likely going WAY to fast on that particular stretch of road causing him to lose control. I don’t care if he was speeding, it’s not about that. Lets say the speed limit was 45 and he was doing 60 safely trying to get around the car and get to the crime scene. Fine. But if he was doing 80 and endangering not only his life and that of the other driver, there is no excuse for that. Not even that he was ‘serving his community’. Recklessness is recklessness no matter who does it, on duty or off duty.

I learned my lesson without dying (this was brought up in a post above - I was 16). Unfortunately, if he did (we don’t know yet) make a poor decision by going too fast, he learned it the hard way.

a bailout has absolutely nothing to do with this situation, dont try and twist this. (and no i voted for mccain)

#1 my father is a cop. there is NOTHING stating you must do anything more than use a directional to pass on a dotted yellow. do they have to live up to a higher standard? yes you bet they do… and they provide a public service to which ALL of us should be grateful for. day in and day out. they dont ask for a thank you or for any recognition. they worry about being shot, stabbed, or worse every day they go to work. what other JOB do you know of that requires you to wear a bullet proof vest as part of your wardrobe whether its -20F or 110F. these men and women deserve more respect than anyone and what do they get? called pigs? spit on, shot at as part of their daily lives. by you questioning his judgement that means you think you are in a position to do so. you sir are far from. one of us should be so lucky as to be able to see the world through your eyes because you are quite the individual… in your own eyes.:Idiots

Travis. 1st Gen was in a war. I think he has the right to talk, compared to you anyway. Just saying…don’t mean to offend you.

Also, cops do have protocol they have to follow. A good example of this is when on a chase. They can’t pit the offending car in certain areas of town or at certain speeds. I believe it has to be under 40mph and in an area where no bystanders will get hurt.

Thank your pops for me by the way.

yes he was in a war. so was the trooper who passed away.does that make him any better than anyone else? not in the fucking least. i see the tolls it takes on a cop day in and day out every day of my life. the stresses and troubles put on a cop only to be despised by the people he goes to work to serve. talk about a thankless job.

I didn’t say it makes him better, I said it gives him more room to talk about life in general than it does for YOU or ME (not the trooper) since neither of us have been in a war.

I work with a cop, so trust me, I hear all the stuff they go through. But you know what? Like the army, they sign up for that job. It’s part of their job duty/responsibility. It is what it is.

i edited my post after realizing it was uncalled for.

yes, they WANT to serve and protect. and instead they catch flak from young teenage kids who think they are mario andretti, or some gangbanging dumb fuck who thinks shooting cops is cool. they take their own life in their hands every second of the day whether it be a traffic stop or a hostage situation. he was doing his JOB and who are we to question how he does/did it?

Same.

A 3rd shift Colonie traffic officer does not fill that void, sorry.

Travis I think you fail to see the point I’m trying to make…

Yes, he was en route to help someone. I respect that.

BUT, he almost killed someone by doing his job (recklessly from the looks of the facts that we have so far). Maybe I’m wrong, but if what we’ve heard so far is true, he was reckless while on the job. No lights, probably no siren, high rate of speed. That is NOT how a Police Officer should be responding to a call. Do they roll sometimes without lights? Yeah, I can imagine. But I think lights/sirens should be mandated if you’re traveling over 30mph.

i hope when your house gets robbed, or someone t-bones your family in an intersection they take their time getting there then. when seconds make a difference if someone lives who do YOU call? going to dial 911 like every other rational human out there…so think before you act.

Come on now. A cop is a cop. I see where Travis is coming from. His dad may one day not come home, God forbid.

Yeah, well my dad is a tax auditor for the state. What if a terrorist locks down the building and he gets held up a gunpoint?

May this officer RIP, I will not judge him by what happened since the media tends to blow things up and away from proportion.

But I will never, ever “look up” to somebody strictly based on their occupation.

who are WE to decide if the manner in which he provides a service is reckless. this is what im getting at. the man lost his life in an attempt to assist a fellow officer at another call…
a call, lets stop and think about that one for a second. someone was in need of legal help… help in which (apparently) one officer could not provide sufficiently alone. this man was going to help a colleage and another member of the public with something.
he is trained professionally on how to operate his vehicle… not only is it mandated he takes defensive driving every 2 years but he must take EVOC (emergency vehicle operations course) every 2 years as well. the man was trained and trained well in how to perform his duties. we dont know if there were extraneous circumstances which led to this crash… we dont know if the driver he was passing accidentally clipped HIM or vice versa… let the facts come out before we condemn this poor man. im sure his family has enough grief to deal with right now and dont need to see/hear speculation on how he may or may not have fucked up. he died in the line of duty as that sir is heroic in any sense of the term.

then maybe you need to rethink who truly deserves respect. someone who puts their life on the line day in and day out without regard for their own wellbeing is deserving of the utmost in my book.

When seconds make a difference? Get your head out of your asshole. If I call the police after my house is robbed, the only thing that is going to happen is the town will send someone over to take down and file a report. Then he will ask me if I have any questions and he will leave my house.

If my family is t-boned in an intersection, onstar will be there to call EMS if need be (where seconds REALLY make a difference). Traffic officers will then roll up afterword to issue tickets and to write a traffic report. :lol

Asking somebody to look at these guys as heroes just because of their uniform is absolute bullshit and neither I nor will anyone else in my family do so.

HOWEVER, judging an officer based on their actions, is something I do and I feel everybody else should do as well.

Failvis.