Breaking News

If anybody was on the 290 by the golf dome today they know it was backed up. Apparently on a routine stop the State trooper was killed on the side of the road by a oncoming car. There were about 15 cops cars scattered from one side of the thruway to the other. I heard the info from my uncle who is currently at a funeral for a retired cop. Guess it came across somebodies radio. No news links found yet though.

edit http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article377123.ece

Link:

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/nys-trooper-killed-on-youngman

hope they catch the person who hit him, if they didnt stop. Super Shitty

RIP

Was driving by it and saw a brown ef hatch with a cage off to the side with trooper cars all over the place.

RIP

Hopefully his police cruiser caught the accident and top and was able to see the license plate. Super shitty. R.I.P.

That’s horrible.

I was wondering what was up with all the state troopers.

RIP

this incident started a debate in the house hold about the speed limit being too low on 290 causing a high crash rate on 290 causing police to enforce a speedlimit more often.

higher speed limit = less crashes = lower police presence on 290

RIP I hope they catch the ass hole that did this

:frowning: RIP Dobson. he was a good cop.

RIP. So sad.

RIP
The most dangerous thing I have ever seen on 290 is people being pulled over. It seems like people going 65 is safer than cops pulling out and pulling people over but what do I know? New York State is obsessed with speed.

Everyone drives like an asshole. I got in an accident a few weeks ago when some shithead was tailgating me, passed me and tried to cut me off, but missed and pit maneuvered himself on my bumper and went head first into the guard rail. $6k damage on my car, totaled his car, and $12k damage to another car that got caught up in it, all because he had to be an asshole.

It’s incredible the shit I see daily on the thruway. This is an exampile of worst case scenario though. I pray they find the driver who did it and set an example.

thats really shitty what happened. i was wondering why there was a helicopter on the 290 and everything was blocked off. guess the ambulance and such was gone already when i went by. rip.

If you read the article, it said it was a pickup truck that hit him…not the crx posted in the picture.

This sort of shit seems to happen all the time. The one thing I dont understand is why the officer’s don’t stand on the pass side off the road? I have seen 1 or 2 but the majority stand in traffic. Now by no means am I saying this the officer’s fault. But you’d think it’d be at least smarter to do so.

this sucks…R.I.P…

i wonder if this is the kick in the pants to implement retesting for driving privliges for the elderly

i drove up the 290 today and it was still blocked… was wondering why. the road flares had totally burned out long ago so it was obviously something serious.

they just opened it back up on my way back.

and yes, 55mph is too slow through there… needs to be 65mph

I don’t understand why DOT, town, phone, cable, everyone and their mother have to wear safety colors, yet they don’t. It certainly isn’t a fashion statement, but you can see someone in yellow 100x better then their dark grey uniforms.

^Good point. No wait, great point.

There is no way in hell the speed limit will be changed to 65 after this tragic event.

They refuse to raise the speed limit due to the cut in federal funding if they do. At least thats what I had thought was said a cpl yrs back.

It was a cut in funding back when 55 was the federal standard, which it isn’t anymore. They won’t raise the limit because the 290 is a cash cow for the state. So some cop loses his life writing a bullshit ticket for 72 in a 55 on a perfectly clear morning at a time when there would be very little traffic on the road. Maybe the next officer uses that discretion he has to say that 72 isn’t really all that bad if that state won’t fix the limit.