Official 08-09 Penguins Thread

so lets here it for this season!!!GO PENS!!

X2

Going to be an interesting offseason…lets hope we can keep some people.

Maybe this thread can get bigger than last year, which was by far bigger than the year before

this morning on the X morning show with Tim Benz, it was said that Brooks Orpik had officially disspelled rumors of moving on to the columbus blue jackets as stated “the only people my agent is negotiating with is the penguins” so good news for our blue line, hopefully it stays that way.

LET’S GO PENS!

lets go PENS!!!

http://thefourthperiod.com/news/pit080614.html

eh, thats alot of money to ring the post 5 times per game. i would have offered him 4 or 5 mil a year and focused on keeping malone or orpik

haha…he does ring that post a lot. 7.5/ year isn’t too much considering the offers he is going to get. I bet someone will offer him 9.5-10 mil. But 4-5 mil/yr is a slap in the face for that guy when elsewhere he can command double that. If you offer hin 4-5 then why are you even offering him anything at all? If he takes the 7.5 you know Malone is gone and maybe Orpik. One good thing is Geno said he would sign for less than Sid when he can get over 10 mil.

i really thought we had a 0% chance of keeping hossa… since he’s come out in the media saying he’d like to make an effort to stay here, i think the penguins have made it a priority as well.
i would not miss that opportunity for the sake of keeping Ryan Malone… sorry, he’s replaceable for a price that the Penguins will offer him. let someone else pay him 5 million plus if that’s what he wants.
10 million plus for hossa is a stretch, i get what you’re saying, but i think its a little much. i dont put him in a league with crosby/ malkin/ ovechkin…

Hossa’s still a point-per-game or less guy, I just don’t see him in the $10 million range. Unfortunately though, it’s when teams go out and throw too much money at guys like Chris Drury that you start to raise the bar for salaries and too many guys get more than they’re really worth.

Not sayign this is the case with Hossa, but I don’t want the Pens to get ahead of themselves.

Here are the rumors i heard

) Fleury turned down 6 ys 28 mil (4.67/yr)

1. Malkin will sign for 5 yrs 7.2-7.5 mil

2. Malone turned down 5 yrs 17 mil (3.4/yr)

3. Hossa offered 7 yrs 49 mil (7/yr)

That has to be the case because he cannot negotiate with any other team until July 1st.

$4.67 mil/year is a good offer for Fleury.

For malone…figure if he takes the “hometown discount” he will be missing out on 500K - 1 mil…

$3.4 mil/year is still a hefty pay raise for him. If he can produce for 5 years like he did this year, then maybe he can step up another notch on the pay scale.

the deal is 5 years is too long for him to wait again to earn a higher contract. maybe a 2 year deal…but he is due a long term deal of at least 5 years.

Fact is there are a lot of players on this team that are gonna get paid well. I hear Staal is going to wait out till next year and test FA. He does not want to be the #3 center and if Geno stays he will never be a #2 center. Who knows maybe he can be a #1 or #2 winger…but he seems to be progressing well @ center. He is a very smart player for his age.

Malone has stated he is gonna hold out until July 1 and become a Free Agent. I can’t blame him for trying to get a big contract, I think he’ll do well and improve any team he goes to.

Yeah if the Pens aren’t really going to pursue him then why not wait a couple more weeks and let teams bid on him. It is rumored Columbus was willing to pay him 4-5 mil/yr and Phx is willing to go to 5mil and maybe a little higher…who know what will happen one people start to bid on him. It’s gonna suck to see him go but if we are going to sign Hossa then he has to go a long with a couple of other people.

I read we offered Hossa 50mil over 7 years and they countered 52 mil over 7 years…sounds like a deal will be made very soon once Hossa gets back from the Bahamas.

I really hope we lock up Orpik…he is a very important part of our team. From what I hear he is going to want close to 4 mil…and the Rangers want him bad so lets hope they don’t throw a crazy offer to him and snag him up.

http://ottawasun.com/Sports/Hockey/2008/06/19/5920016-sun.html

I know it’s just rumors, but discuss.

would be dumb IMO