Official 09-10 Penguins Thread

Figured I would start one off for next season. Lets only hope this upcoming season will be as entertaining as the last one.

Pens started today with signing Gogo…he was a FA in July so they locked him up for another 3 years. Smart move, this kid and Letang are the future for our defense (offense wise).

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09168/977963-100.stm

Penguins sign Goligoski to three-year deal
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Penguins signed defenseman Alex Goligoski to a three-year contract today.

The deal is worth a total of $5.5 million, and carries an annual salary-cap hit of $1,833,333.

Goligoski was scheduled to become a restricted free agent July 1.

He had six goals and 14 assists in 45 games with the Penguins this season, and two goals and 16 assists in 26 games with their farm team in Wilkes-Barre.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09168/977963-100.stm#ixzz0IilUqBGo&D

Damn beat me to it on the new thread… Anyways, yeah I like the signing of Gogo, I’d also like to see us re-sign Fedotenko.

We need to resign scuds.

I agree on both…Feds proved a lot in the playoffs. He did disappear at times in the regular season, but I think with the new system he is playing a lot better. Hell Bylsma names the system after him…I think that is a hint to mgt to sign him.

The past 2 season Scuds has proved himself, he is awesome at what he does. Bad thing is he has been the lowest paid d-man on or team and is due a big contract. Hell Gogo played in the minors most of the time and he made $100K more than him. I just hope we can fit him in at a decent price…I am sure he will get a big offer from another team.

well Guerin is staying and not retiring, they are saying on thefourthperiod.com that satan, sykora, feds and boucher are not getting resigned… but imo i think feds would be a good resign same with scuds… plus with gogo that gives us 7 D, if we sign gill too… which i know a lot of guys hate him but i think we should… as for the forwards i like a couple guys out there that we might be able to pick up if we dont sign a couple of those guys…

Pretty cool site to see everyone’s contract status and salary. What shocked me was how much alot of our Baby Pens are being paid. I am almost 100% sure that is if they made the Penguins, I am sure it is like 1/10 of that if they stay on the Baby Pens.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=PIT

Malkin should have won MVP!! ya AO is good but malkin should have won… oh well he has Lord stanley and AO doesnt!

i say satan, boucher, gill, sykora, scudueri, feds are all gone. i think they will sign billy for 2 years. i think we could do without the rest of the free agent but i do like feds. bill guerin should prob score 25-30 goals on the crosby line. salary cap is the issue now. malkin went from 2.2 to 8 million and staal went from 1 million to 4.4. plus crosbys and fleruy’s went up last year. letang and gonchar are coming up on their last year and i am betting they will get extenstions.

Yeah, he is a way more of an all around player…but the bottom line is Geno didn’t even his 40 goals and AO had 56, 10 more than anyone else. I would have liked to see either Geno or Staal nominated for the Selke, but odds are neither of them would have won it anyways. The show was pretty good overall, Geno was funny. I could not understand whay they kept on giving Mike Green a closeup throughout the entire show, kinda odd.

Yeah, AO led the league in goals but that is because he had 528 shots on goal. The second guy in line in the entire league (Eric Staal) only took 372 shots. That is 156 more shots than second place. ANd for those extra 156 shots, he only had 16 more goals than Staal. He also led the league in giveaways, whereas Malkin led the league in takeaways.

AO is a great player, don’t get me wrong, but the only reason he racks up the goals is because he doesn’t/can’t pass the puck and he just shoots the puck every time he touches it. He led the league with 220 missed shots this year. Some guys didn’t even take 220 shots!

Anybody else think it look like Dats was pissed when AO told Geno his english was bad but not as bad as Pavel’s? lol

ya dats looked pissed when AO said that too… I laughed… Whatever like I said Malkin has the cup, AO doesnt… As for the cap… we arent that bad… kunitz for whitney i think was an even salary trade and we picked up Guerin for a player to b named later which i dont know who it will be… or did we get him for a draft pick? as for adams we picked him up off waivers but lost someone from wb/s the same day… so I think losing sykora, satan, boucher wont be bad… they r going to resign gill scuds and feds…

Guerin was a conditional pick, I think he ended up being our 3rd round pick since we went all the way. I think Scuds played himself into a pretty big contract… hard to say whether he will stay or not. I would imagine Gill and Feds staying though like you said

I heard a rumor the offered Feds a 3 yr deal for 2.4/yr. I mean Bylsma said this is “Ruslan Fedotenko Stlye Hockey”…so you have to keep him right?

well 2.4 isnt that bad, he was making 2.25… scuds will prob go from 712,500 to i say 1.2 or 1.3 mil… the good thing is satan was 3.5, sykora is 2.5, boucher is 2.5… so theres 8.5 mil we can play with…keeping guerin at 4.5 for a year or two wont be bad… still have around 3 mil to play with if you add around a mil extra to keep feds and scuds… thats if scuds goes to 1.2… if the writers are right and try to give him what we give orpik then scuds will take that 3 mil left over and we have no more money to get another player…

i duno shero has his hands full… i guess first thing to do is sign who he wants resigned… and then go from there… mayb we can trade draft picks for players seeing how we have a talented minor league team…and our picks are all at the end…

Keep in mind Geno goes from 3.8 to 8.7(+4.9), Staal goes from 2.2 to 4.0 (+1.8), Talbot from .675 to 1.05 (+.375), TK from .54 to .725 (+.185)…which is a total of 7.26 of salaries going up. So yes Shero does have his work cut out for him…then you have to consider it is rumored that the cap is going to drop after next year…so he will be thinking of that too.

There is no way Billy G will make over 4 mil…I say try to sign him @ 2.X mil or so for a 1 or 2 year deal.

Caps hate the Pens…for real.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4267104&name=lebrun_pierre

Boudreau on Penguins’ Cup win: I couldn’t bring myself to cheer for them

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

On my way to the airport to catch a flight to Las Vegas for the NHL awards and NHL Players’ Association meetings this week, but had a few minutes to chat today with Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau.

Aside from the comments he gave me for an Alex Ovechkin piece (check out the site Thursday!), I couldn’t resist asking Boudreau about watching the rival Pittsburgh Penguins raise Lord Stanley’s mug. Let’s just say he wasn’t cheering for Pittsburgh.

“The rivalry is pretty heated between the two teams, so normally you always want the team that beats you to win the Cup so you can say, ‘Hey, we did great. The only team that beat us was the team that won it all,’” Boudreau told ESPN.com. “But it was really a hard time cheering for them. Now that they’ve won, it’s definitely a motivating factor for me with the team. But I was still hoping for Detroit. I couldn’t bring myself to cheer for Pittsburgh. But since they won, I may as well use it.”

Boudreau’s cell phone was buzzing last Friday night after Sidney Crosby put the big silver trophy over his head.

“Without a word of a lie, I had half a dozen guys [players] text me within 20 minutes of Game 7,” said Boudreau. "They were so mad. I talked to Alex [Ovechkin] and Mike [Green] last night and they couldn’t bring themselves to watch it because it was so upsetting for them.

“I think that’s the kind of attitude that teams on the rise achieve. They’re going to be really hungry. I’m sitting here in my office right now going over stuff because I want to get going again.”

Anyone for a Caps-Pens rematch next spring? Sign me up.

NHL, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals

Kind of silly to bust your balls speculating tradea at this point. The core is locked up for a long time, most of the other pieces are pretty interchangable.

Bourdreau is a whiney bitch. He coaches a team that follows the penguins model but just isnt as good. I see them losing to us in the playoffs a lot in the future. So of course he can’t bring himself to cheer for the penguins. He should use the similarities between the two teams to be optimistic and motivate his guys instead of going out and being a big pussy in the media.

i never uderstand MVP awards given to a player on a team that doesnt win it all. thats like saying “you’re the best salesman in the country but we are going out of business” how can you prove worth when you arent the winner? the NFL does the same shit. Stats dont always equal a players worth. CFB does this with the Heisman…the heisman spcifically states “Most Outstanding” its not an MVP award. but recently more often than not its ends up given to someone on a winner. maybe hockey should give out and MVP and a most outstanding award. Anyway…ask any player and they will tell you to keep the awards and give them championships instead.

MVP of regular season… thats why they have the conn smyth “mvp” for playoffs… so basically you can kick ass in regular season and get the Hart but your team sucks and cant make playoffs or loses in playoffs…

Speaking of AO and the caps… they are trying to get kovi from the canadians… wonder if that will happen

very interesting:

FREE TO ROAM

Based off conversations with NHL personnel, Tribune-Review Penguins beat reporter Rob Rossi projects the future for the club’s key unrestricted free agents:

CRAIG ADAMS

Position: RW

2008-09 cap cost: $600,000

Rossi says: He goes. As was the case with C Adam Hall last summer, the Penguins cannot offer long term to role players. Adams will seek a multi-year offer from another club.

PHILIPPE BOUCHER

Position: D

2008-09 cap cost: $2,500,000

Rossi says: He goes. A luxury as a seventh defenseman this past season, Boucher has no spot with the Penguins unless he decides to play for near the veteran minimum, which is unlikely.

RUSLAN FEDOTENKO

Position: LW

2008-09 cap cost: $2,250,000

Rossi says: He probably stays. Reports that the Penguins have already offered a three-year contract are false. They prefer another one-year deal, but would give two if his cap hit remained near what it was last season.

MATHIEU GARON

Position: G

2008-09 cap cost: $1,100,000

Rossi says: He goes. Starter Marc-Andre Fleury will count $5 million against the cap each of the next six seasons. The days of million-dollar backups are over for the Penguins, and prospect John Curry is likely ready for an NHL role.

HAL GILL

2008-09 cap cost: $2,075,000

Rossi says: He probably goes. However, if Gill is willing to take a considerable salary cut — say, about $1 million — the Penguins would be interested in his services for another year. He would project as a fifth or sixth defenseman next season.

BILL GUERIN

2008-09 cap cost: $4,500,000

Rossi says: He stays. Though, the Penguins cannot afford anywhere near $4 million, and only want a one-year deal. They are banking on Guerin wanting to win. He knows the best financial offer they can make given the cap. The puck is on his stick.

MIROSLAV SATAN

2008-09 cap cost: $3,500,000

Rossi says: He goes. Satan’s Hollywood ending to a tumultuous season probably will convince a few NHL clubs to give him a look. If not, he can play in Europe for better money and leave North America with his name on the Cup.

ROB SCUDERI

2008-09 cap cost: $712,500

Rossi says: He goes. Another solid postseason has Scuderi in line for a significant raise. Hey, Toronto D Jeff Finger costs $3.5 million against the cap. Scuderi is better, but the Penguins have organization depth at his position and will seek extensions for Sergei Gonchar and Kris Letang.

PETR SYKORA

2008-09 cap cost: $2,500,000

Rossi says: He goes. Sykora has his Cup win, and his positive influence on Penguins such as C Evgeni Malkin will be felt in Pittsburgh for years. Still, his limited action in the playoffs and a late-season goal slump has him off the Penguins’ radar.

MIKE ZIGOMANIS

Position: C

2008-09 cap cost: $650,000

Rossi says: He stays. The Penguins could use a checking-line center with Max Talbot a strong candidate for a top-six forward spot. They could likely retain Zigomanis at their term and price.

Sid and Dupuis love the cup…

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_y_UMlRf7oLg/SkA3Qkx1mnI/AAAAAAAAAsM/Lao2t40XJ1E/s1600/stanley-cup12.jpg

![http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/Dupuis tattoo1.jpg](http://www.pittspeed.com/uploaded/Dupuis tattoo1.jpg)