Official 09-10 Penguins Thread

well i hope his new team likes that tat… theres rumors of him being traded to the wild for someone… duno who though

Congrats! you’re only a week too late on that post!

so i guess we are after knuble, havlat and Beauchemin, and i guess montreal is after scuds and boston is after guerin… in case no knew…

i wouldnt mind getting gionta

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/19895887/detail.html

PITTSBURGH – The NHL free agency period doesn’t begin until Wednesday, but the Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins locked up one of their own on Monday.

The Pens inked forward Craig Adams to a two-year deal.

Adams, 32, was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

The Pens acquired Adams on waivers from the Chicago Blackhawks in March.

Known more for his grit and penalty-killing abilities, he posted one assist in nine regular season games with the Pens.

Adams also tallied three goals and two assists in 24 games during the Pens’ Stanley Cup playoff run.

He previously won a Stanley Cup with the Carolina Hurricanes in 2006.

The Pens still have several members of their championship team scheduled to hit the open market on Wednesday, including forwards Bill Guerin, Ruslan Fedotenko, Petr Sykora, Miroslav Satan, defensemen Rob Scuderi, Hal Gill, Philippe Boucher and goalie Mathieu Garon.

The Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with right wing Bill Guerin on a one-year contract, it was announced tonight by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

$550K for Adams and $2 mil for Billy G. Overall not bad, leaves them with roughly $5mil and some change to work with to sign others.

Wow, Hossa’s a Hawk now

this day is better then trade day lol… everyone is going places today… why wait and think it over sign me up!

hells ya! lol.

J-Bo and Phaneuf would be an interesting D pairing

Gill to Montreal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283437

The Montreal Canadiens appear to be ready for life without Mike Komisarek, signing veteran blueliner Jaroslav Spacek to a three year, $11.5 million contract and defenceman Hal Gill to a two-year, $4.5 million contract.

Spacek, 35, is coming off a three-year, $10 million deal with the Buffalo Sabres and scored eight goals and 45 points in 80 games last season.

The Rokycany, Czech Republic native will be entering his 14th NHL season in 2009-10. He played in a total of 701 career regular season games in the NHL with Florida, Chicago, Edmonton, Columbus and Buffalo, tallying 303 points (73 goals, 230 assists).

The 5’11", 204-pound defenceman was a fifth round selection by the Panthers, 117th overall, in the 1998 NHL Entry Draft. He joined the Sabres as a free agent on July 5, 2006.

Gill, 34, helped lead the Pittsburgh Penguins to a Stanley Cup victory last month in an 11-year career that included stops in Boston and Toronto.

More to follow.

Pens add Mike Rupp

In a somewhat surprising depth signing, the Pittsburgh Penguins have added gritty winger Mike Rupp for two seasons at $800,000 according to many credible sources on Twitter. (UPDATE: It’s on TSN’s free agent tracker now)

The Penguins already have Matt Cooke, Jordan Staal, Tyler Kennedy, Pascal Dupuis, Craig Adams and Eric Godard as bottom line forwards, as well as many promising young players, so the addition of Rupp is a curious one.

But injuries happen and Rupp, a 29 year old veteran of 335 NHL games, ought to add a little depth. Rupp has just 27 career goals and 26 assists, so don’t expect him to add much more than that. Rupp has shifted into an enforcer role lately, getting into 16 fights this past season according to hockeyfights.com.

i dont like it at all. what happened to a winger that can score or help malkin or sid?? why do we need another enforcer type guy

Ya I would have rather seen Ziggy stay

ok so now we have rupp, does that mean we r going to try to get rid of godard? or are we going to keep them like how we had roberts and laroque(spelling)?

Also hearing trade rumors about dupuis… anyone else heard these?

I think that the lack of “grit” was the reason the pens has a bad start to the season but since the trade last year, that was fixed. I don’t get why they picked up another “gritty” player. I guess the Penguins management knows more than we do, but it just seems odd.

ya thats what everyone has been yelling at me about… shero knows what hes doing and blah blah blah… i just find it funny how every paper and sports writer says we need a scoring winger to replace the ones we are getting rid of but yet we pick up Rupp… but hey we will see what happens, theres still a couple guys out there i like for us to get Bergeron or Beauchemin for Defense and Fedotenko, Antropov, and if we could afford kovi him too :slight_smile:

Shero said he has no plans to move Godard. Rupp is a gritty physical center who actually can play/skate well. I did think Ziggy could have played center, but it seems shero want a pretty gritty 4th line that can play decent and with the players they have as of not it works. Dupuis-Rupp-Adams, that is a pretty badass 4th line.

arent we one of the top 5 scoring teams in the league? dont we have the #1 and #3 scorers in the league? how much more scoring do you need?

what wingers are we losing? the only person i’ve heard we lost was gill. he’s not a winger, and he doesnt score so who needs replaced?

stop reading the 4th period and getting your panties in a bunch… there are like 3 free agents on the team, they will be fine.

we are losing skyora, satan, feds didnt like the offer we gave him and is testing free agency

I think Dupuis’ 1.4mil/year salary is a bit much for a 4th liner, I wouldn’t mind seeing him on Malkin’s line though

The guy has no hands, other than a decent slapshop from the slot. Mad Max is the winger on Geno’s line…we need a skilled winger for Geno.

According to Geno, Talbot has bad hands too lol.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Shero bring a “skilled winger” either, preferably ditching Dupuis in the process… but if you don’t have the money, not much you can do about it so you might as well utilize him