OFFICIAL: 2008 ELECTION THREAD

^ yeah, that would be a mistake but, unless he MCCain really f’s up I think this thing is in the bag.
I just don’t think Obama can get elected.
Time will tell.

I can’t picture him doing that when one of the issues McCain has is he’s often seen as not conservative enough.

BTW, how do you feel about the Biden pick Joe?

I did support Obama. Ive always been a republican but I do not think a president with war history and ignorance to technology is good for the US.

After seeing a president hopeful make efforts to bridge the divide between the US and some of the nations that hate us, I supported him even more until he selected Joe Bidden who has voted against technology and in support of net censorship and in favor of the RIAA over and over again.

On a side note, I do find it funny that Obama/Biden sounds awfully close to Osama Bin Laden

^ (Jay)So who does one vote for?
McCain is going to get the conservative vote no matter who he picks.
Don’t you agree?

If he picks Lieberman you’re right, I’d still vote for him as the lesser of two liberals but I’d leave the polls and immediately go home, take a shower, and get drunk.

^lol

I like it. Biden is clearly qualified to step in and run the country if the situation ever arose, and he helps to negate a lot of the things that people hammer Obama on, mainly lack of experience with foreign policy. My personal pick would have been Bill Richardson, since I supported him for President and his resume is even more rock-solid, but even I can see that the country is not ready for an all non-white ticket. Tim Kaine would have been a good choice too to help bring in VA and to make it a clear young vs. old race, but he compounds the lack of experience card. As long as Biden watches himself with his knack for saying things that can be taken out of context by the media and distorted, he’s a great pick.

This limits who McCain can pick as his veep now. If he wanted to go with someone younger, say a Bobby Jindal or Tim Pawlenty, he would have to be prepared for Biden to pwn them in debate.

Biden is win lose for the Republicans.

Win: Obama loses the big attack of “McCain is old Washington” because so is Biden.

Lose: We lose some of our attack about Obama not having enough experience.

I look at it this way though. Sum up Obama’s campaign in one word. I think most would agree that word is “change” right? I’m not sure how well Biden being in Washington since 72 is going to play with that core message. Don’t get me wrong, I totally understand the reasoning for the pick and see how Biden fills in some of the big weak spots for Obama, but it also feels like he sold out some of the key message for swing voters. The key will be how many of those voters that are really upset about Biden suck it up and vote Obama anyway, much the same way I would if McCain picks Lieberman.

A lot of the upset about Biden group would have been upset with anyone but Hillary. And she had no chance, for obvious reasons.
It’s definitely a compromise pick. Going balls out with a new-gen, young, progressive washington outsiders campaign would have been great for my personal beliefs, but those damn 80+ voters that have like 99% turnout every year are pesky.

If he would have picked another washington newbie, or worse, outsider, we would have destroyed you. I knew that wasn’t going to happen.

Biden removes McCain’s ability to pick romney, or really almost anyone who isn’t a seasoned pol just b/c they’d get crushed so hard in the VP debate. But McCain really can’t pick someone too old or else you’d be talking about a ticket with an average age of 68.

I would be shocked if McCain picked Lieberman, the right base is already not pumped about McCain and they’ve shown if they don’t love you, they’ll just stay home.

I don’t think Biden eliminates anyone as a VP pick. It’s still going to come down to picking someone to compliment McCain in the areas he’s weak. So someone < 65 with a good strong economic background and far enough right to make the base happy.

Bentsen handed Quayle the greatest asskicking in the history of VP debates, but in the end Dukakis-Bentsen still lost the election.

Bentsen would have made a great President if he had run against Bush I instead of Dukakis. I wish he was still alive.

Thoughts?

weren’t you like TWO then?

1. :stuck_out_tongue: Gotta know my recent history.

but he was a great politician. He had a key role in the beginning of the clinton administration also, back when we thought deficits were bad.

For the haters:

http://i34.tinypic.com/141i152.gif

Thank you. Now if most of America can see that the tax increase on Obama is on the people making into the millions and most people are getting decent cuts.

Funny tho for obama. Isnt the 226k - 603k where the presidental salary falls?

Those are great numbers if you believe Obama can bring his health care plan to reality for the cost he’s claiming. I, and most people who don’t believe in the Obama universal health care plan, don’t believe that’s even remotely possible so that makes his proposed tax cut numbers meaningless.

Oh ye of little faith. I guess its better to have no plan at all. I guess we can do what bush does, just spend money that doesn’t even exist yet and put the country into massive debt.