OFFICIAL: 2008 ELECTION THREAD

You do realize that Obama and his wife had an income of 4.2 million for 2007? I highly doubt thats his reasoning behind that.

Nope, the Bush plan was wrong too. He did however get it half right with less taxes. Unfortunately he didn’t get the part about less government so less taxes and more government turned into giant debt.

What we need is less government and less taxes. Specifically for health care we need to address the cost side instead of saying “the government will pay”. We’ve all seen how that works right here in NY. The costs go out of control but once you have a government program it’s impossible to make cuts, so you just keep raising taxes to pay for it.

Government has shown us over and over that they have no idea how to control costs of any program they run, but people still scream for the government to take over healthcare. I agree that the current system is broken and needs work, but a system that has to operate in the black or go out of business is far better than a government run program. The government program will just dip into the pockets of taxpayers every time costs go up because making cuts is politically unpopular.

“Bush spent too much, let’s start socialized medicine.”
:bloated:
Oh ye of little faith?
The govt loves people like you and Joe, it’s like taking candy from a baby.
“Don’t worry we won’t fuck this up like we have fucked up 99.999999999% of everything else we have tried.”
“Just give us your money and trust us.”

He only gave tax breaks to the richest people!

Why can’t we control the healthcare costs and make it universal? There is no plan by McCain to try to get millions of people healthcare, and the costs of treating those people has a direct effect on the cost to everyone else.

I don’t understand you, you say that change wuld be bad but then say that the status quo of government sucks. News flash the status quo of government has been controlled by republicans for 8 years.

^Change as in STOP SPENDING SO MUCH.
And once again; Bush is not the king.
I defend very few Republicans but that certianly doesn’t mean I want a Dem.

Well, since you don’t seem to have anything bad to say about the republicans its pretty hard to tell. Let me ask you:

Who are you voting for and why?

Let me stop you right there, because you’re prefacing your arguement with an outright lie.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2006-10-02-taxes-usat_x.htm

The Bush tax cuts cut taxes for all taxpayers.

Some more good reading:
http://www.heritage.org/research/taxes/bg2001.cfm

cliffs (more detail provided at link):

Ten Myths About the Bush Tax Cuts—and the Facts
Myth #1: Tax revenues remain low.
Fact: Tax revenues are above the historical average, even after the tax cuts.
Myth #2: The Bush tax cuts substantially reduced 2006 revenues and expanded the budget deficit.
Fact: Nearly all of the 2006 budget deficit resulted from additional spending above the baseline.
Myth #3: Supply-side economics assumes that all tax cuts immediately pay for themselves.
Fact: It assumes replenishment of some but not necessarily all lost revenues.
Myth #4: Capital gains tax cuts do not pay for themselves.
Fact: Capital gains tax revenues doubled following the 2003 tax cut.
Myth #5: The Bush tax cuts are to blame for the projected long-term budget deficits.
Fact: Projections show that entitlement costs will dwarf the projected large revenue increases.
Myth #6: Raising tax rates is the best way to raise revenue.
Fact: Tax revenues correlate with economic growth, not tax rates.
Myth #7: Reversing the upper-income tax cuts would raise substantial revenues.
Fact: The low-income tax cuts reduced revenues the most.
Myth #8: Tax cuts help the economy by “putting money in people’s pockets.”
Fact: Pro-growth tax cuts support incentives for productive behavior.
Myth #9: The Bush tax cuts have not helped the economy.
Fact: The economy responded strongly to the 2003 tax cuts.
Myth #10: The Bush tax cuts were tilted toward the rich.
Fact: The rich are now shouldering even more of the income tax burden.

I dont think saying “I am going to cut taxes” is a basis for a good plan.

Does any candidate have a plan to lower spending and start repaying the debt ontop of lowering taxes?

^RON PAUL
And I am not talking about the BS everyone calls cuts.
These are true cuts NOT cuts the size of the increases.

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/cb15a056-ac87-485d-a64d-82989bdc948c.htm

He said candidates, so Paul is out. :wink:

I am hoping he finds his way back in.
He’s got the fuggin money/support he just can’t get the media coverage.

https://rally.campaignforliberty.com/

I do like his ban on cell phone taxes and other policies but I cant seem the part where he wants to cut taxes and actually as a plan to put money back towards the debt.

I am a republican but I am against another war president. This is the modern era and we need to go back and focus on our own country, not rebuilding Iraq. Obama made a huge gain in my mind when he met with foreign leaders in an attempt to build relations.

You’re worse than the Hillary supporters. At least she got a good number of votes in the primary. Paul got almost none. McCain won the primary, he has the votes, he will me the nominee. So enough with this Ron Paul dream of yours.

AWD, why didn’t Paul pursue the Libertarian nomination? I’d think that his values are a lot closer to their beliefs than Bob Barr’s…and if he really needed the media coverage a line in the general election instead of a distant finish in the primary would help a lot.

^That is a good question.

When asked about drug laws he said something to the effect of; what someone puts in their body is their own business and not the govt.

When asked about abortion he said something to the effect of; I have delivered over 4500 hundred babies and never performed an abortion.

He does sound like a Libertarian in that he does not say he is against abortion or drugs.
I think of those 2 things as the Libertarian issues.

:lol: hill dogs speech @ the DNC was AWFUL

I was never a Hillary fan but I though her speech was pretty good. But if you don’t like her then no matter what she says your going to hate it.

I refused to watch much coverage because NYSpeed more than fills my total daily allowance for liberal asshattery, but someone told me there were lots of priceless shots of a pissed off Michelle Obama while Hillary was basking in her cheers entirely too long.

:ohyeah:

Obamas daughter wouldnt STFU.

If He cant get his own daughter to stay quiet, how exactly is he suppose to change the country?

She definately looked like “what eva”