SBC question

Is it possible to run a normal flat tappet cam, in a newer “vortec” block designed for a roller cam?

my thinking is everything would work with the following happening:

1. lifters would sit lower on block.
  2. I would need longer pushrods.

yes it works. yes you need the longer pushrods,(normal flat tappet length)

and you’ll need the right timing gear set if using an older cam. the cam faces are alittle different requiring a different cam gear.

and you won’t be re using the roller cam retainer on the flat tappet setup.

:bigok:

Here is the long story. My buddy gave me a newer style complete short block (he thought it was an 88-90 block), it has been done and bored 30 over. Well I had a pair of older style heads, so I bought new pushrods, cam, hyd lifters, timing set, and gaskets. (gaskets for new stlye sbc). After installing the lifters stuff just didn’t look right. The lifters seemed to sit to far done into the block. That is when we firgured out that this must have been a much newer block than thought.

So now I have everything here, but it just doesn’t look like the the stock (older style) pushrods will give enough length to fully open the valves. So I’m wondering if anyone else has done this, and if so what pushrods did you use? Also at the point at which I am, would I need to buy a full roller cam set, or just roller lifters?

Tom

the gm 350 ho motor is a roller block with flat tappet cam. it come from gm that way and is what you are doing. the 87 and up truck motor are also roller blocks with flat tappet cams. the vortec blocks are the same thing.

personally i would sell what you have and go roller, but that’s just me.

I’m somewhat confused when yuo say roller block, flat tappet cam.

What I currently have is a flat tappet cam, correct?

Are you saying these blocks ran an “old” stlye cam, with roller lifters?

a roller block is a 87 and up block that has the provisions to add a roller cam(86 and older don’t). the provisions arel the longer lifter bores, and holes for the cam retainer plate and lifter retainer. they all started with hydraulic cams, and eventually made the switch over to roller cams. roller lifter should only be used on roller cams and hydraulic lifter s and hydrulic cam. you can use your hydraulic cam but you need to use your hydraulic lifters, not the roller lifters. talk to me tommorow about this.

Thank you, I thought I knew all of that, but was very tired last night and just counldn’t get it to make sense to me…

i’m a dumb ass sometimes.:wtcslap:

understatement!

look whos talking…:jerkit: