Shifting Problem

A few days ago i was driving my car, a bone stock s13 with about 180 000k’s on it, but performs very well, anyways what happened was that while i was driving i was switching lanes pushing a faster and not exactly sure what exactly happened but i reved high switched gears and then moved faster… heard a pop( if i remember correctly) and then my car is still rolling as i was going to shift, so i switch back into neutral and my car wont let me shift into any drive gears at all. So i pull over to the side, start panicing… lol… and then I try to shift again, reverse works but sounds lyk gears start to grind a bit at first just when i shift and start to clutch/gas away a bit, then i try my drive gears again, nothings working, then a lil later, mayb five mins down, my first gear still wont work but my second does, so im driving back along on second and my cars first gear starts to work again. But now, im noticing that im getting a bit of bad shifts, when i shift into first, its not as smooth as before and sometimes when i shift into gear and shift back into the same gear, i dont think the gears are grinding but i hear something sorta rolling into place faster… if that makes any sense… any help would be appreciated, my car drives fine right now, but just the gears arent as smooth as before. Thanks.

did your car pop out of gear? if that is the case then likely you may
need another tranny. or rebuild this one. tough brake man.

peace

change the gear oil, look for pieces of metal.

fluid should be changed every 100,000km? or so…

fresh oil should smoothen things out a bit…

Thanks i’ll it a try, shyt i hope i didnt’ pop my gear, i dont think i did because i didnt quite hear any loud pop or anything. My friend in the car thinks he did but the gears work alright now, but if im driving and i hold down the clutch, before i was able to shift into any gear, now i cant shift into first it wont let me, if i push it a bit harder it starts to grind the gears. I’ll try to flush out the gear oil.

try what s13gg said but it sounds fu**** to me boss. g/l

peace

funny, my tranny’s been like that since i bought the car 2 years ago lol.

do you hear any “whirring” while you’re driving in gear (coming from the tranny / shifter)?

Blazin’ - sounds like your clutch not your tranny. Have someone look under the car while you push the clutch down and see if its moving the arm.

Big-byrd - If you hear a “whirring” in any gear then your input shaft bearing is probably shot, its a $80 bearing at nissan.

Noo i dont think theres any whirring, it seems pretty fine once in gear, thanks hurricance ill give it a try. I took it out again today, its been fine for quite some time, so i hit it a bit hard again, i went fast on first, shifted, went fast on second, shifted, went fast on third, everything seems fine up to this point, cars moving fast, nothings weird on the shifts, now im trying to shift into fourth and it wont let me, it wont me go into fourth gear at all, i try again, nothing, No pop for sure, no nothing just wont let me shift into drive gears, i keep rolling, still no drive gears working, pull into a church huge parking lot, let the car sit for a while, about a few mins, try again, now it wont let me into any drive gears still but if i push into the gear, it wont shift into it but there is force on the gear and the car moves very slightly but it is pushing, not rolling for sure, im able to move out of the way of another car like this. I give it a lil while, reverse works, i shift into verse, but the clutch does nothing, as soon as i shift, it starts rolling right away, hit the gas a bit runs faster, hit the clutch doesnt let go of the gear, just keeps rolling on the gas, i shift back into neutral things are fine. let it sit for another 20 mins or so, second begins to work, drive on second for a bit like last time, no pop or nothing, gears are a bit hard at the start, keep driving and the gears become smooth, drive smoothly, shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and backwards, come down to a lane change, voila, first gear works again. Smooth, not like before the first time i hit it, but its working smoothly just like before, im able to drive home no problems. !?!?!? I dont get it ill try the clutch thing though hurricane, thanks everyone for the input.

Hurricane - i know what the whirring is, i’m just too lazy to fix it. on top of that, i have a b&m short shifter (older version), so vibration through the transmission doesn’t get dampened. i know my shifting issue is because my synchros are shot and whine, on top of the bearing noise.

as for blue’s problem - just out of curiosity, how does your clutch pedal feel? same as before or different? if so, please elaborate…

hmm clutch, feeling the same as before no differences there, only when i get the problem, like what happens is say I pull it hard like yesterdai, where the car doesnt allow me to shift into any gears, the clutch moves in alot faster, no force on it, its not depressed though but if i completly depress it, it takes a couple of seconds to come back up or stops half way, then i pull it up a bit more, but regular driving, the clutch seems to be fine.

this happened to me when my slave and master went paticularily my slave, are the rpms all over the place when she is in gear?

sounds like your slave.

that’s pretty much what Hurricane told you to check for anyway.

ok ill check it out as soon as i get a chance, thanks everyone, the only funnie thing that im wondering about though is that when i cant shift into my drive gears, my reverse always manages to work, I just shift into reverse, its alot harder and starts moving in the gear right away, i havent even released the clutch, the clutch does absoloutly nothing, but today, i took it out on the highway, and local driving and had no problems, and s13.5, my rpms dont go crazy, they’re working fine all the time. Thanks.

ok so it happened again today, pulled it a bit hard, i was driving perfectly fine on the highway, not a problem at all, till this, im driving, car seems to shift into gears but no force to the wheels, engines reving, everything seems normal but the car wont move, as i slowed down it was moving a bit but not how it was supposed to be driving, any ideas? when the car is off, and i shift gears, i can hear the transmission or something shifting the gears just like before when i had no problems… advice would be greatly appreciated.

did you check what we asked you to?

what’s the word?

sry just been busy lately but this saturday im likely trying for sure, right now the car isnt moving at all, when the car is off and i shift around, it feels like its shifting but when the car is on, and i shift into reverse, doesnt feel hard to shift like before, no noise from shifting either like before, once shifted, no force to the wheels, engines revving and everything but the car doesnt want to move…any ideas anyone, think its my master/slave? Thanks.

hey everyone, just wanted to let everyone know that it was my clutch, got it fully done, along with machining the flywheel, burned it pretty bad, and i also switched up all of my brakes, two new rear calipers, premium pads all around and rotors all around. Thanks everyone for the input.