Tranny problem *video*

Ok, so I bought this tranny from a son member a few weeks ago that I am going to use for my AT>MT swap, I had some time to work on the tranny tonight and I saw something odd. After installing the shifter and using the snap ringlet to hold the shifter in place it seems that I can only move the shifter into 1,2 gear.
I am unable to move the shifter to the right or up or down when in the neutral position. I know the s13 uses the H shifter patter so I not sure when I am getting this clucking sound with no movement.
Is this normal with a tranny that has not been installed?
Is the tranny F’ed?
Any ideas?

Heres a video that shows what I can do and not do with the tranny.

ermm… i would believe with simple logic (on my own part, there could be a lock of some sort) that it would actually be easier to shift… a little smoother, perhaps?

i dont believe that should be happening at all… cause technically the tranny should act the same in as it would out, cause its all the same process…

again thats my opinion… someone with more knowledge could possibly give a suggestion that makes me look stupid =P

my moneys on the fact its fucked, though.

josh

yes i would also agree that it mayyy be f’ed… did you try spinning the spline… maybe its just in a weird possition…

ORRR maybe you installed your shifter incorrectly…

has no oil in it. so its gonna be louder than with it also mine kinda was ike that but when it went in it was fine

so you had the same problem i am having, but after you installed it and put fluid in it it worked?

id try re-installing that shifter or maybe even a different one. make sure that the end of the shifter is properly mated with the tranny. my tranny would shift smoothly into all the gears when it was out.

if its not going into any other gear other than 1 and second its f’ed. fuild in out,abit in shouldnt matter.

pull the front cover off and unbolt the bell housing. see if anything is broken

if the tranny is empty…fill it. you should take out your shifter and take a look and re-install it anyways. so pour some fluid in through the top.

sorry, forgot to add. if the tranny sat around dry for a bit. the syncro’s and rods and all that bullshat inside may have surface rust on them. lube the tranny. move everything around best you can then try again

rusty or not… its not going into any other gear… read ppl reeeeead

precisely. which will have the greater effect on the shifter. unless you simply put it in wrong.

Your a nub… for sure. Spin the input shaft a bit drop the oil and and check the shifter… I’m sure its fine.

well it loos in the video you have the shifter Intaller backwards… It shouldent be pinting forwards… It should be bounting back…

I think u should try installing your shifter corectly… also spin the input shaft a lil then try other gears…

Yea you definatly put the shifter in improperly.

Make sure you put all 6 bolts in place. It appears you only have two installed. The shifter creates a lot of leverage when you pull on it. It may also allow the plate to move while shifting or it may not be in the correct position period, this will have an adverse effect. Try reinstalling it correctly with the appropriate fasteners.

i only have 2 bolts in because I removed the plate to install the shifter and had not put all the bolts in yet, the 2 bolts i had in at the time were tight so i don’t think the plate was moving. i tried installing the shifter each way but it did not make any difference.
i will try adding some fluid and turning the shaft tomorrow and report back.
That’s for the input guys

did you try applying the clutch by hand? it sounds like your syncros are not lining up. to the shaft and if that doesnt hurt i would, depending on how mechanically inclined you are, put the transition in then try it or else take it apart and look close if you know what to look for. i would try it first in the environment which it was designed.

i have 2 ka trannys that also went in every gear as if it was on the car but the sr one was stiff didnt want to forcefully put it in to gears 1st and 2nd went good then the rest were stiff didnt really want to go in but once i had it installed it was better then the ka i had on the car

make sure the end of the shifter (the white plastic bit) goes into the hole inside the tranny, otherwise it won’t work properly. do you know what i mean? it’s hard to explain without a picture.