Supras : questions

what size turbos are stock?

What turbo setup does a stock supra come with and gimme a brief description as to how they work.

Thanks

what year supra?

are you thinking of getting one? dude :tup:

EDIT: dude howie’s getting a supra

ill get it out of him on the way home…

but

i would think that he is trying to sell him turbo to a supra guy… maddd hills where howie lives now = cant spool his turbo

1994 ish

come on fuckers

No i’m not buying one

1. how does the ssts (sequential twin-turbo setup) work?
    first off, the is no #2 wastegate. there is only one wastegate and it comes off the #1 turbo because that turbo is always on line, therefore you always have a wastegate. there are 4 sets of vsv’s, actuators, and control valves for the sequential turbo system. each vsv is simply a solenoid that is either 100% open or closed, allowing manifold pressure to pressurize the different actuators that open/close the four different valves.
    wastegate: when the manifold reaches 11#'s of boost, the ecu sends a signal to the wastegate vsv, that allows manifold pressure to build in the wastegate actuator which opens the wastegate.
    exhaust gas bypass valve (ebv): somewhere around 3500 rpm, the ecu sends a signal to the exhaust gas bypass valve vsv, which allows manifold pressure to build in the exhaust gas bypass valve actuator which opens the bypass valve. this is a small opening inside the #2 turbine housing which allows some exhaust gas to go through the turbine of the #2 turbo which makes it start spinning, and dumps the exhaust gas out the exhaust piping coming off of #1 turbo. since it is a small amount of exhaust gas, it pre-spools the turbo and does not get it up to full operating speeds. this will smooth out the transition from 1 to 2 turbos. This valve is similar to a wastegate in design, but is located after the turbine wheel instead of in front of the turbine wheel like a wastegate would be. this is not a wastegate!
    exhaust gas control valve (egcv): this valve is located in the exhaust piping downstream of the #2 turbo. when this valve is closed, all exhaust gas must go through the #1 turbine wheel to get out through the rest of the exhaust system. at around 4000 rpm, the ecu sends a signal to the exhaust gas control valve vsv, which allows manifold pressure to build in the exhaust gas control valve actuator which opens the control valve. this allows exhaust gas to go through #2 turbo and out the exhaust system which brings the #2 turbo up to full operating speed.
    intake air control valve (iacv): this valve is located in the intake tract coming off of #2 turbo. it is closed below 4000 rpm so that boost pressure coming off of #1 turbo cannot backup through the #2 turbo and back out the air cleaner/suction of #1 turbo. there is also a 1 way reed valve within the same housing of the intake air control valve. as the #2 turbo starts to pre-spin at 3500 rpm, it will build some boost. if it builds enough boost, it will open the 1 way reed valve to allow this boost into the intake tract to join with the discharge boost pressure coming off of #1 turbo. at somewhere over 4000 rpm, the ECU sends a signal to the intake air control valve vsv, which allows manifold pressure to build in the intake air control valve actuator which opens the control valve. this allows the full boost pressure coming off #2 turbo to join in with that coming from #1 turbo and you are now fully on line. Usually, the exhaust gas control valve will open first, which gets the #2 turbo spinning at full rate so that it is building good boost before the intake air control valve opens, allowing this boost to join in with that coming off #1 turbo. if the intake air control valve opens before the exhaust gas control valve, the boost pressure coming off #1 turbo will go backwards through #2 turbo, spinning it backwards if there isn’t sufficient exhaust energy to keep it spinning forward. when the exhaust gas control valve opens, and the #2 turbo has to reverse the direction of the spin. this is a tremendous strain on the turbo shaft and bearings. if the sequential operation is not a well orchestrated symphony of motion, it is easy to see how the #2 can be prone to failure

OK, so are the turbos the same size?

Dude you should be at M.I.T. or some shit

impressive if he sat there and typed all that

[Jesse]: yea right! now i got that uh whats it called attention… disorder. I went to school i failed dropped out of school uh… I dont know it’s just something about engines that calms me down you know? [/Jesse]

ur real good with this, you should work at best buy

nahh mann i got that thing…

stupid ricer?

yea…

The primary turbo is smaller than the secondary turbo. I belive the primary turbo has a 26mm wheel

i’ll always remember where i was when i first read that whole webpage of whatever the hell you would call that and i loved every minute of it

Your write up was great!

We were in an arguement with some tools and wanted to confirm what we were pretty sure was true. sequential turbo setups use different sized turbos to optimize the different RPM ranges, producing power over a much broader power band.

well that is the whole purpose of a sequential system

^ tell that to the retard we were arguing with… just wanted to make sure the Supra wasn’t strange.

Stop arguing with retards :shrug:

I can’t help it… they find me any where I go…