Texting while driving

Recently, it has come to light that text messaging may have played a role in the tragedy in rochester involving 5 Fairport Highschool grads http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/otherwny/story/119154.html. Now, there are calls for making texting while driving illegal http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/nyregion/18cnd-driving.html?ex=1342497600&en=693dfb8b9b092e28&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink. Even just reading a text message would be against the law.

[FONT=Verdana]While it aggravates me when I see someone using their mobile phone in any fashion while they are driving it seems that since 9/11/01 our society has been marching progressively toward a nanny-state where almost every aspect of a persons life is regulated by rules and the government. The deaths of those girls is a horrible occurrence, but horrible things happen everyday. What angers me is when politicians use tragedies as political capital in furthering their harebrained policies.[/FONT]

A wise man once said: Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

What does NYSpeed OT think?

I’m pretty torn. You have a good point. However:

There are people who put other people in jeopardy by reading their text messages. That one girl put 4 other girls’ lives on the line, and they all paid for it, not just her.

So the bottom line is if you’re putting other people in danger for your stupidity, it should be illegal.

And IMO text messaging is far more dangerous than being on your cell phone. Being on your phone doesn’t require you to be looking down.

Not really news; txtg was mentioned in the Buff News article the day after.

Politicians have to make mountains out of every issue, its what they do. If they don’t make these mountains, then they’d have no way to climb out of their respective cesspools.
The wave of public opinion will prolly lead to a ban on cell phone operation AT ALL while in a vehicle. However, when is the last time you’ve seen ANYONE stopped for talking on their cell phone sans ‘hands-free’?

In the end: More pointless and wasteful legislation that takes time away from things that are slightly more important: Shoolastic budgets, health care, straight line taxation, ‘terrorism’, and gov’t employee pay raise filibusters.

It is already illegal.
Enforce current laws don’t add more.

How so? Linky?

AMEN. Soooooooooooooooooooo many people driving around talking on the cell phones.

I think everytime an elderly person gets behind the wheel and drives on a public road my life is in danger. An elderly driver may not be able to see nor hear as well as other drivers. An elderly driver also may not be able to process information and react as quickly as other drivers. Yet, our government would NEVER even entertain the thought of mandatory yearly testing for elderly drivers or mandatory revocation of licenses. With the majority of our population quickly approaching elderly age this may become a greater problem than exists now.

Operating a cell phone while driving…

Go ahead pass the law, but how the hell is it going to be enforced?

It’ll be even harder to enforce than talking on a cell-phone, which I think you already have to be retarded to manage to get caught talking on your cell while driving.

Which does more damage to liberty: Sacrificing the safety of the masses for the convenience of a few, or sacrificing the convenience of a few for the safety of the masses?

Me thinks it’s the former.

There are laws stating that you can not do distracting things while driving.
Does the current phone law only state that you can’t talk?
I was under the immpression that you need to use a “hands free” set up.
How do you text “hands free”?
Therefore; if you text you are NOT “hands free”.

Reason number 99999999999 to hate lawyers/law makers.

heres a better idea, ticket the asshole cunts that put on makeup while driving!!!

lol

or the guy eating pancakes

or the kid rolling joints

or the guy working hi laptop

or the bitch changing cloths

etc

lol yes this is true, but im on a stupid cunt kick this morning.

I have a hunch that the lawyers/lawmakers wrote a 50 page bill for the current phone law when all it had to say is, “Drivers may not touch a phone while driving”.
That being said, this issue was already covered under previous laws.

In this case I would tend to agree with the view that texting while driving is a dangerous activity and should not happen. I thought that was clear in my OP. What I’m trying to amke a point towards is that a law such as this would indeed be mostly unenforceable and would only serve to further engender this attitude of the government should always protect us from whatever boogeymen are out there in the world as well as basically control every other aspect of our personal lives.

“2. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, no person shall operate a motor vehicle upon a public highway while using a mobile telephone to engage in a call while such vehicle is in motion. (b) An operator of a motor vehicle who holds a mobile telephone to, or in the immediate proximity of his or her ear while such vehicle is in motion is presumed to be engaging in a call within the meaning of this section. The presumption established by this subdivision is rebuttable by evidence tending to show that the operator was not engaged in a call. © The provisions of this section shall not be construed as authorizing the seizure or forfeiture of a mobile telephone, unless otherwise provided by law.”

I don’t know doesn’t sound like texting is covered to me.
http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/phon-vt.htm

i find it funny cops are always on theyre cells while driving.

^Like I said before, you cannot do distracting things while driving whether it is a cell phone or juggling flaming dog doo.

Ugh yeah texting while driving is ridiculous! I admittedly have done it here or there, but it is baddd.

I would consider my ability to text and drive the same as if my BAC were above .15

didn’t someone here sideswipe a guardrail while texting?