the canon rebel xsi w/ 18-55 mm lens

Once you take a Point n Shoot indoors or low light you are going to be stuck using its crappy on board flash…Point n shoots are even worse in lower light…and if you crank the iso past 400 you might as well just not take the pic. I have never heard anyone get burned by any sterlingtek batteries or opteka grips.

yea im gonna do that this weekend and see how i like it. thank you.

i’m not going to argue with you about that. yes you are stuck with the on board flash but you can still have the option of using an external flash. If your not going to really use a dslr to its full potnetial why buy one? even with the kit lens indoors your gonna have to crank the iso up and the pictures are gonna be grainy. Might as well be as bad as using the p&s.

lol i have no idea what you guys are talking about haha

its camera fighting.

low light is conditions indoors or around dusk when there isn’t alot of light. because of the smaller sensors in p&s and entry level dslr’s they aren’t the greatest at shooting at a high iso to keep your shutter speed up and have a picture that isn’t grainy like old film. thats the downside to using these cameras. the plus side is they are lighter and not as bulky.

the higher end cameras will let you shoot at iso’s above what the xsi can shoot and still have images that are clear.

this is kinda one reason why i wanted to point out its not always best to pick up a dslr. sure you can get great results from them but that takes time and reading and practicing. your not going to get great results straight outta the camera.

05xrunner if a person doesn’t use a dslr for outside of the green box or p mode what is the point. your letting the camera do all the work for you. you just buy different lenses to suit your needs. that person would’ve been better off buying a high end p&s.

sorry for the long post but $700 is alot of money to drop on a camera and then a couple of months decide its not for you. try and resell it and lose out on money. esp if they come out with a newer camera body.

i guess you are afraid of high ISO in a dslr for some reason…ISO 1600 on an XSi is totally use able and pretty clean if you ask me…I use to shoot my old 30D at ISO 3200 and when exposed properly you couldnt see 1 bit of noise.

That was shot at ISO 3200…The XSi handles noise very very well I think better then the 30D as well. I think maybe you should go look at that before saying upping the ISO on the DSLR will give you unusable noise or needing a higher end DSLR to get lower noise. Sure they will be a little cleaner but i wouldnt be worried shooting at ISO 1600 with the XSi.
I am sorry but you gave bad advice and more of a misleading type making it sound like its worse then it is.
I am not going to go round and round with this…It depends on what the OP wants…if you want better IQ, better low light, faster shooting, and ALOT more flexability and dont mind spending more go with the DSLR…if you dont think you are gonna get that into it…get a decent point and shoot

I’ve shot with a 30d at 3200iso and it was alot cleaner than my XT with iso at 1600.

Its a little hard to find a picture of people using the XSi at iso1600, but I found one. Its a perfect example of how iso1600 on these cameras, unless really pressed for the shot, really isn’t wanted.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_1000D_Rebel_XS/images/results/Can450Dvs1000D_1600iso.jpg

You can run the pictures thru noise ninja to get rid of some of the noise but this might not be what some people want.

Here goes a picture shot with the canon XS at iso1600. Again these pictures are nothing how yours looks.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_1000D_Rebel_XS/images/results/Can1000D_1600iso_NRoff.jpg

Here is the link for the website I got the pictures from.
click me

The end of your post I will agree with.

That is like a 200% crop
the whole image looks fine to me. NO ONE looks at pics at that blown up size so that is a worthless crop that person did. Most people blow up to 8x10 and you will never see the noise in that size print…plus they picked the most underexposed part of the image that give more noise. as a whole that image looks fine

spend $100 on a P50

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&searchType=user&keyword=Nikon+CoolPix+P50+8.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera&searchSection=All&go.x=13&go.y=5&linkid=j13459594k1971&affiliateid=k1971&mid=u0t0f0fp15826c0s520

^^^ weaksauce

my other camera was very similar to this one. it was a good camera. i just figured id get something better this time around but wasnt sure what would be worth the money.

I know there use to be/is a pretty good photography store on the northside. Sorry I don’t remember the name I was only there once and that was about 3-4yrs ago. The people there were really nice and knew what they were talking about.

I guess I should’ve started out by saying this. What are your expectations with this camera? Why are you upgrading?

i have a rebel and it’s nice… but is an expensive hobby. so if you’re looking for point and click photography, a digital SLR is a little overkill…although, that’s the sole purpose of mine.

Word… that’s why I am hesitant to get an SLR…

It’s awesome to be able to really capture things in photography, but once you start getting into lenses, it can really add up price-wise…

I just got my wife a Nikon D60.

Two lens kit with bag, DVD’s, Polar/UV filters from Ritz just under $800.

Free classes too.

Oh it adds up VERY quick. I bought some of my lenses used from photography sites, and got some good deals, but it still gets expensive (and I dont have any super crazy lenses ethier) … Just the basic/general lens, zoom lens, macro lens, wide angle lens, and a bunch of filters.

I have a D60 and Really like it!!!

You’re an idiot!! Look to the left of the flowers in the unzoomed picture. do you see where it’s all pixelated and discolored? That’s noise. it’s not very desirable! High ISO’s cause that in digital photography…

Please dont make yourself look dumb.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_1000D_Rebel_XS/images/gallery/Canon1000D_gall8.jpg
Where is this AWFUL noise you talk about in the unzoomed pic…this is the largest pic they show on the site of that shot. There is NOTHING you can tell from this size. Stop trying to sound like you know anything. Once again at ISO1600 those are perfectly acceptable for any 8x10 print and you will never see the noise at that small of a print.
Sounds like you need to read up more on exposure and understand shadows and how they effect noise.

I"m not talking about that picture you numb nut I’m talking about th one with the flowers! And if your saying that higher ISO’s don’t subject you to more noise you’re a moron especially if you’re shooting with a Nikon. I have a Nikon and if I go much above an ISO of 800 I start to get noise. Extreme high end cameras may be able to shoot at higher ISO without the noise but the point and shoots or the entry level DSLR’s are going to give you noise.

BTW how many of your digital pictures do you print out on an 8x10? My guess is very few. Most of them are viewed on a computer screen which will show the picture in greater detail and show the noise. The noise in the picture of the flowers is insane…it’s a terrible picture…

make up your mind…LOL in your last pot you said look at the pic of the unzoomed shot. Do you even know what your talking about. Ultimately pictures are taken to be printed. you dont have computer screens hanging from your wall. Just cause it might look a little worse on a PC screen it will look MUCH better in a PRINT and is what it was the intended viewing of the picture was for. Sorry that your Nikon sucks so bad at high ISO but thats your problem and also you do understand exposure counts ALOT for noise as well. Once again those 200% cropped pics are PERFECTLY acceptable as far as noise for HIGH ISO and will show up very little in print and after using say noise ninja even on your PC screen you will not even see the noise. once again you do NOT need a super high end camera for low noise at high ISO. Go read a book…not gonna go back and forth with you on this.