DSLR experts needed

I am looking at buying a Canon XSI/450D for my mother. I am a Nikon person and personally own a d80. Not to sure what a good price to pay for a used one is. Or if I should just buy a T1i although I don’t really have 700+ to dish out.

I found a few on Kijiji for around 400 with a lens (18-55mm). Is this a good price? I have been reading reviews and the XSI seems to be a pretty good camera for my mom, who just needs it for travelling.

I got my T1i from Adorama for under $500 with the kit lens, bag, and a few other items. IMHO, I wouldn’t go more than $350 on the XSi but i’m brutally cheap so $400 isn’t a bad price really. If you want a “good” camera for your mother then I’d look and see what Adorama has to offer first. If you just want to get her an entry DSLR I’d shop craigslist and try to grab a Digital Rebel (6-8MP) for around $250 until she likes what she has and can use it properly, then upgrade her to a better model like the T1i/T2i.

Well I picked up the XSI for $350, with a bag, 18-55mm lens, Card, Card Reader, and a Filter.

Thanks for the advice!

No prob, I’m by no means a DSLR expert but i’m extremely cheap and spend too much time over thinking purchases. I was in the same boat as you not long ago. I grabbed a Digital Rebel (6MP) with the kit lens, a bag, multiple extra lenses and flash cards for $200. Not long after that I got the deal on the T1i so I gave the Rebel and kit lens to my father-in-law but kept most of the extra lenses.