Camera Suggestions

My dad wants to get a DSLR
he was looking at either the

pentax k200d
or
canon d-rebel XSI

has anyone had experiences with either?
or other reccommendations for under $1000 DSLRs?

he is looking for brand new because I have seen some for sale used but he wasn’t interested.

thanks

Buy a used Nikon D80… I’ve used the Rebel, Nikon D40, D70, and D80.

The D80 is by far the best I’ve used.

Used DSLR’s are usually kept in tip top shape because their owners are into that sort of thing. I picked up my D80 for $500 with under 100 (Yes, one hundred) shutter actuations.

Just my $.02

ya Ive looked at some used ones but this is my dad making the purchase and he has already told me he doesn’t want a used camera…

I understand you point of being kept in good shape though.

go nikon he will be way happier with the camera

I just got an olympus evolt e-510 and I’m pretty happy with it. Keep in mind this is my first DSLR so I can’t compare like some of these other guys.

in regards to the guys who have shot with other SLRs, did I pick a good starter cam?

the camera on the new iphone is pretty sick… its has its own blur effect that shows automatically with each snap shot

ok thanks for the input guys.
I’ve told my dad about the Nikon… but as usual he is hell bent on his own decisions

he has chosen the Pentax k200d.
so I guess once he gets it I’ll play around and put up some pics. =D

When I was looking at a DSLR for myself, the Rebel XTi was at the top of my list, with the Sony Alpha and Nikon D70 closely behind. My mom ended up getting a D40 for herself though, so I’ve just been using that instead. I really like the D40, and I’ve never found it to be lacking for what I need. I have the kit lens, some gigantic-ass zoom lens (I believe 80-300, I’ll check when I get home), UV filter, circular polarizer and an IR trigger. I borrow my friend’s tripod a lot, but I’m gonna get my own soon. IMO, all you need for amateur car photography.
Oh, I just noticed you didn’t really post what you and your dad plan on doing with it. This setup also works for my mom, who does close up flower photography, as well as various family pics, vacation pics, etc…

Meh I just picked up a brand new Rebel XT Kit with 4 gig card for $300

Ill stick with that

yeah i got the rebel xt and its great… i mean im not pro or anything but it takes great pictures and has all the features that i was looking for… i paid $399 new boxing day special at best buy then i bought a lens…