Looking at getting a DSLR finally...suggestions for $600 or under?

I am finally looking at getting a DSLR, I have been shopping around online and what not and still too undecided to pull the trigger on on. I am more leaning towards a Canon as my p&s is a Canon and has been great. I would like a Canon 40D if I could find one used but it is tough. I can get a Rebel XS bundle for $599 with a 18-55 and 70-300 for $599 locally (SAMS Club). I like the T1i and T2i as well but really don’t need the video aspect of them. I have also looked at the Nikon D3000 and 3100. I am not dead set on a Canon, just use to the menu system on them. I know the kit lenses are not the best, anyone know how that 70-300 is? I can get the Rebel XS for like $499 without it. There are also some smoking deals on Canon refurb directly from them.

Is it the 70-300 or 75-300 lens? There is a fairly large difference in quality between the two. If it’s the normal rebel kit then it’s the 75-300 which in my opinion I’d opt to not get it.

The 40D is a great camera and can be found for around $500 for the body alone in great shape (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1022637&highlight=40D).

I’d get a 40D or Rebel (XTi, XS or XSi), an 18-55 IS and a 55-250 IS and you’ll have a killer combo for starting out.

Just buy this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671879-REG/Hasselblad_70480533_H4D_60_Digital_SLR_Camera.html

Ive never personally used the 70-300 so I cant attest to its image quality but the 18-55 that comes with the camera is not all that bad. Personally I would get the two lens bundle and use that for a while until you decide which lens you would like to get, that way you can always sell a lens if you dont like it and put the money towards another lens.

Scott Chu www.scottchu.com used an 18-55 kit lens for a lot of his shots. Nothing wrong with them at all.

I can get a t2i refurb for $639.99 on Canon’s site or a T1i refurb for $599.99 I think it is. XS is $399.99, they are suppose to be as good as new. I was looking at this too.

75-300 this is the kit, some place online have had this whole kit as low as $500 I guess at some point. Maybe a deal on amazon…

Refurbished is often better than new.

The T2i is a great unit, and I’m a Nikon user.

If I got a good enough deal I’d probably get a Nikon I really don’t have a preference I am just use to the Canon menus and what not. Most people say Nikon has a better GUI though for beginners. I have been trying to read as much as possible. I would consider a used one as well I just don’t trust buying off ebay too much, maybe I am paranoid.

I’d search for deals on http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

^ Just buy with people with good feedback.

I bought my D90 body slightly used with 1000 clicks.

Im plan on buying a T2i

/pjb

This seemed like a decent deal on a used Nikon…

I will probably get the T2i and be done with it idk.

That’s not bad, will probably sell for $600 or so.

I have the XS. Great starter camera but it will leave you looking for more quickly as I am looking to upgrade to a T1i or T2i. Image quality for both lenses mentioned in the kit are not bad at all. For what I do I really want a wide angle tho.

I saw this too, but it says you have to have a non functional camera.

T2i 1080p HD Video and baller pics