DSLR's...

For the photographers out there… If you had a $1200.00 budget, what B/N camera would you get? I’d be looking at something that comes with a lense, so keep that in mind…

Thanks!

Chris

I would stick with a Nikon or Canon for availability of options and accessories later. Check out www.bhphotovideo.com and there are plenty of options to choose from between the two.

Have you ever owned a DSLR? There will be some learning to do if you haven’t. B&H has a deal with the canon 60D and 18-135 lens for $1200 if you must spend every last dime on camera and body. If you want to dip you toes so to speak into the DSLR world, take a look at the entry level DSLR’s like to T3i. It will leave you with some money to spend things like a bag, memory card, tripod, or another lens.

Give us some more info on what you feel you’ll be shooting most, it will help determine what lens you’ll get the most use from.

Also take a peek through B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

And Newegg, I usually put things in the carts and calculate shipping and go with the cheaper of the two.
http://www.newegg.com/Index.aspx

I have a t3, If I had that budget id probably be at a t3i with a nice lense…

If your not going to do this for a living why spend a ton of money on a body?

I have a high quality Point and Shoot, just looking to step it up. I want something I’ll be able to take nice pictures with, that will have lens options… I don’t have to spend the 1200, i’m not looking to be a professional…

I did look at the T3i’s.

i have a nikon d300 and a canon xsi for sale if ur interested.

the nikon he has is sick^ basically brand new

d3100 I think , its mint that’s for sure

With that budget I’d look into a used but newer body with a kit lense and another lense or two. I like Nikon myself, but it’s all I’ve ever used.

Really hard to go wrong with any current Nikon or Canon. T3i is definitely a solid option, go to best buy or somewhere and pick up a Canon and a Nikon and mess about with them, see what you like. I would also recommend buying from b&h or newegg as others mentioned. Good luck.

yeah thats the one lol

I will also recommend the Canon T3i or Nikon equivalent. I went with Canon only because my friends use canon and I can borrow and try out their lenses prior to buying them.

I can get this bundle for under $900.00… Are those lenses good to start with?

EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP Digital SLR Camera (with EF-S 18-55 mm IS II lens) and EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens Bundle

i can sell you the d3100 for $400 lol… is over a grand new…

The canon i could sell you even cheaper…

I’m giving thought to a DSLR, my work has a Canon of some kind and I absolutely love it. I’d love to do some car pictures of sorts with a DSLR so I can take awesome pics.

Or:

EOS Rebel T3i Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-135mm IS lens

The camera at my work had a 25 I believe? to 55mm lens, it may be a rebel. The only reason I remember the 55 is because its the setting I used :lol

I’ll take a look at the camera tomorrow. We have a boss tripod setup and a dark room for taking pictures of prototypes so there’s lots of lighting.

Kit lenses are much better than people really give them credit for most of the time. For what they are and what they cost with a body, they’re great. Good glass is awesome though, and a fast 50 will come in handy.

So if you had to pick between the 2 kits?

The first. The bodies are the same and the less the gap between the max and min focal lengths, the sharper the lens (generally). The 18-55 will be great for most shooting and the 55-250 will be useful for those long range shots and fake macro. I’m guessing on the last as I’ve never used that lense, but my 70-300 works great at 300mm for it. Neither lens is very fast though so neither will perform in low light very well. With the iso performance on these newer bodies and a 50mm f1.8 (100 bucks used) you’ll have a versatile setup that’ll have you covered in wide angles, long ranges, and low light.