canon vs. nikon

looking at a new camera. looking for options in what you would use

camera 1 :canon eos rebel 12.2 digital slr

or

camera 2 :nikon 12.3mp digital slr

just looking for a great camera for anything priced between $600 and $900.

with the amount of nikon whores on this site (paging iank) your going to get most responses saying nikon.

In for this one. I was going to get the Nikon D5000, but my order was canceled. Interested to hear others opinions.

i recently bought a Nikon D60, it’s only a 10.2 MP camera and the kit lens is kind of short on zoom for what i like(it’s only an 18-55mm) but i love the camera, it allows me to take some great pictures!

I just upgraded to the Canon rebel T1i and love it. Plus it has HD video.
Fits in your price range.

buy a 600 dollar body, Canon or Nikon and spend the rest on a quality lens

I’d consider getting rid of my Nikon D200 kit with a Sigma 17-70 lens for $850. Pretty slick setup, comes with memory cards, backpack, boxes etc etc etc. Everything you need!

The D200 is a killer body…it will definitely not let you down.

I’m just an novice but I love my D60.

cant complain about my nikon

I have no compliants using a nikon either. then again, I am sure that Canon users will not have any complaints either.

It’s like comparing a toyota to a honda. They’re practically the same quality, just different look and feel.

I love my cannon digital rebel xti

i would hope that when buying a expensive camera you would research first, not like i just flipped a coin and picked a nikon heh

i love my 2 week old D40.

Yup cannon Lover here. I’ve had My XTI for like 1.5yrs and only complaint is the poor ISO, looking to upgrade(Canon 50D) in the next year or so.

The base kit lens Canon uses is complete garbage. Once you get past that the playing fields are pretty level from the reviews I’ve read.

No poal???

I am looking to get a nice dslr sometime soon as well, and have wondered the same. Most of my friends however, shoot with Nikon.

If your friends shoot Nikon or Cannon, I’d say stick with the best of that brand that you can get. Being able to borrow/trade lenses rocks.

Buy my D200 :slight_smile:

I was in the same cross roads 3 months ago and found even though its not a DSLR camera I landed on the Cannon PowerShot SX10IS and love it . The options are almost the same as a DSLR and and awesome zoom and low light quality shots. it is one of the few point and shoots that will except lens filters as well. I take alot of pictures every week and I do very little editing when I get back. For the price and options you may want to look into this.

Very true. I’m in exactly the same boat with my XTi.

Regarding Canon vs. Nikon. Both make great stuff, it mainly boils down to personal preference. Like someone mentioned earlier, Canon’s kit lenses are generally not as good as Nikon’s, however anyone who gets even remotely serious into photography will scrap the kit lens in favor of something much better anyways.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74116

That thread is a great example of why I went Nikon. That Canon kit lens is crap and everyone knows it. So if you’re starting out with DSLR you’ve got to spend $200 more to go Canon since you need to immediately move past the kit lens. The kit 18-55 Nikon on the other hand is more than adequate to start.