the canon rebel xsi w/ 18-55 mm lens

not sure if anyone has this camera or if they have used it. im looking to get a new camera for xmas and i just wanted to see what ppl think of this one (or if theres any other cameras recommended). i think its $700.00 in stores but im sure i can find one cheaper. let me know please :slight_smile: thanks.

The Xsi is a GREAT camera. I have the Xti and love it. The Xsi has some nice features that mine dosnt have.

The kit lens is ok to get started but if you get into photography you’ll spend money on better lenses.

You could save some money by buying an older model Cannon (Xti/Xt) and they are still awesome and capable of taking great pictures.

Let me know if you need any help.

if your going to spend that kinda money I would buy a D80

I have been looking at D60 which I have seen for about the same price. Dunno how it compares but it does look pretty badass.

ive heard good things about the d80 also. i dont think im going to spend the 700 the stores want. ive seen them cheaper other places.

there are alot of other things id spend 700 dollars on

i take it your really getting into photography if your buying something that expensive?

That’s what I was wondering too Nick … And why I suguested some of the older/cheaper models.

yea im thinking about it. thats why i was wondering if there were any other ones i should be looking into. its a xmas gift so im not the one spending the money but at the same time i really dont need a 700 dollar camera (esp if i can get a nice/good one cheaper).

oh and joe i think you would spend 700 on a santa outfit :slight_smile:

all depends on what you want to use it for… and remember, its not the camera that takes a good picture.

oh i know. i know nothing about cameras though lol. thats really the first one ive looked at.

Like Nick said … its not the camera, or the lens … its the person behind them. But if you want … your more than welcome to check out my setup and play around with it. Hell you could even borrow it if you wanted to see how you like using that type of camera. My camera takes great pictures, pretty easy to use once you get the hang of things … and considerably cheaper than the new Xsi

nudes???

I just recently got a Nikon d40 and really enjoy it. Simple to use and it has a good price for a decent camera. I didn’t want to get anything too expensive for my first dslr.

ill sell you my d40 for a good price.

the XSi is a good camera. ALOT of features have been added to the rebel series that never use to be in them. Like spot metering. The 9point AF system with the center point being cross sensitive at 2.8 and faster glass. To start out its a very good camera. The new 18-55 IS lens it comes with is pretty good optically for what it is. Its a pretty good one to start with. Also you have the Live view feature which is very good to use with macro shooting if you ever get a macro lens.
I am pretty avid with Canon stuff.
I shoot with
Canon 1D Mark II
Sigma 150mm f2.8 DG EX Macro
Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 DG EX HSM
Canon 24-70L f2.8
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG EX HSM
Canon 100-400L 4.5-5.6
Canon 430ex Flash

I’m not trying to come off as an ass. Just trying to help out. I tell everyone that asks me about buying a dslr.

Buying lenses gets very very expensive. Buying other accessories gets expensive too. I’m pretty close to 3k in camera gear. I know ^^ is probably closer to the 5k mark.

If you out grow your kit lens the next decent cheap lens, other than the 50mm f1.8 is going to be over $400. A decent telephoto is going to run you about $500 used. A used flash is a little over $100. Lenses with IS eat up batteries pretty quickly. Grips cost about $150 (for the canon one) and about $50 for another battery (canon of course). Tripods aren’t that expensive until you start getting into heavier lenses then I’d want something more stable.

People always say they aren’t going to buy more stuff but they either end up selling their camera stuff or buying more. The bug is bad. Once you use Lglass its hard to buy anything else.

If you aren’t going to be dumping alot of money into this I’d recommend a high-end p&s. The canon g10 has all of the manual controls of a dslr just doesn’t have interchangable lenses. Its under $500. www.bhphotovideo.com has kits that are a little over $500. g10 link

Again I’m not trying to sway you from getting what you want. Just want to make sure your going to be happy with the end result.

It doesnt have to get all expensive. it depends on how into the hobby you get…and if you get into it then a Point and shoot is going to be gone pretty quick anyway as you will want better.
Even if you got a XSi and only used the Kit lens 18-55 IS and the inexpensive 55-250 IS lens they will far surpass any ability that a point and shoot will be able to do. You dont need all canon…Sterlingtek batteries are good. i use to have them they last longer then canon and are around 20bucks. You can also look into the Opteka grips if you want a grip…not really a must have. They use to make an IDENTICAL copy from the canon…I use to have one and they are only 60bucks.
The Lenses if you get into it good ones can start to add up. Once you use an L you wont want anything else is ehhh subjective if you are the type that only feels the OEM stuff is the only way to go and dont open your eyes. There are lenses that will give you the quality pound for pound vs the L’s and cost less just cause they dont have that red ring on them and say Canon. Lenses are the most expensive part of the hobby. Like I said it all depends on how far you wanna get into the hobby. There are some great lenses that will not break the bank and give you amazing image quality

thanks everyone this all really helps. the g10 looks pretty good to me lol.

Don’t get me wrong about 3rd party lenses. Thats one reason why I don’t have the Canon 24-70. I also know about the 3rd party grips and batteries but I’ve read about people getting burned by them.

About the lenses you posted what happens when you want to shoot indoors. Cranking up the iso is going to suck. Your going to either need to pick up a flash or get faster glass. I’d go for the faster glass. You can def cheap out but your not going to be happy with the end results. Do it right the first time.

Laura check out the g10 at ritz or best buy. Get the camera in your hands and see how it feels.