Ticking Noise..

Do you know its the bearing and oil pump for sure or are you guessing? Did you tear into it yet?

As Rubicant mentioned, my issue was the pistons actually ever so slightly tapping the head. I suspect that if you used a stock sized and stock compression piston, that you wont have this issue. My JE piston design put the top of the piston actually just out of the block. Mine sounded like a lifter tick at all rpm’s.

I don’t think this is your problem, but if the bearing and oil pump theory doesn’t pan out, then check it.

Good Luck.

Edit: After listening to the video, you do NOT have the problem that I had.

Spencer, Is this what your old block sounded like?

YEP:)

yup,. still dont regret it that much at all.

u need calico coated bearings to make up the clearance

I was gonna chime in with a smart ass comment about money…but I wont…Ill just say…I hope u get it figured out and back on the road and runngin strong so u can enjoy ur investment before snow flies

did you pull the pan? if so, did you get the caps off? I hope your crank isn’t scored or you’re in deep. man, I hate to pile on with this shit, that car has been a PIYA :eyebrow:

ls1 swap

Ls7 swap :slight_smile:

i know that, it was an ongoing discussion from a few months ago when i told him this was a bad idea and he told me the 2jz motor was gods gift to man…

ok lets stop putting words in my mouth.

Good luck Dos. You must be looking forward to the day it’s trouble-free.

hmm kinda sounds like the lifter tick in my mx6…my car used to only tick everyone in a while , now it ticks once ive been driving it for like 20 mins good luck either way …ticking sucks and its annoying

well, since you told me your motor would EASILY hold something retarded around 500wheel on stock internals, what else do you want me to say?

i can’t believe you didn’t upgrade the oil pump dude

it really hurts to see everything that happens, b/c of course id rather see your car on the street pwning than sitting collecting dust

did the moving the car down the street for AAA work?

yeah we already know that the LS1/2/7 is anyways :roll:

Hope the pump takes care of things Dos’ers

Check out those internals to be safe though lack of oil probably chewed up a fdw things

i really think it is a oil clearence issue for the bearings…

1st pic is 2jzge out of the IS300
2nd is out of a 95 surpa tt

http://www.transonicracinginnovations.com/myIS/rod%20bearing.gif
http://www.supracentral.com/hosted/zupra/original%20oem%20tsrm.JPG

right now im trying to source up the clearence for the bearings for each mark… there are 5 different size bearings.

just pull the oil pan off and take a look

:frowning:

shoulda stuck with the 3sgte idea :stuck_out_tongue:

honestly .0005 is not that big of a deal. If it were .005" I’d be concerned. They run a little looser tolerance to accomadate the amount of load the bearing is going to see with added power of boost. They want a thicker cushion of oil is all and that spec is fine.

The size of the rod journals between your engine and a 96 Supra TT are the same at 2.0465"-2.0472".

Since there are 5 different sizes available to match to the crankshaft at each journal you need to follow the manual and get a set of bearings matched to each specific journal.

If you just got a set of standard bearings you may have had a little too much or too little clearance. Just getting a standard set of bearings for an import engine that is highly engineered just doesn’t cut it. Ever.

Perhaps you did not have the correct bearings and were a tad on the high side?

Also when you rebuild an engine or replace bearings you should ALWAYS replace the oil pump…it is the trash compactor of your engine, all the garbage in the pan goes into the oil pump first then the filter :wink: