Ticking sound.

I’m scared.
I JUST got this car about two days ago.
I love it.

Been driving it non-stop.
However, I’ve noticed I hear a ticking noise.

I can’t imagine it being anything drastic.
Checked the oil, it’s at the full mark on the dipstick.
My friend Blair asked if it was a rod knockin’, but I can’t imagine it seeing how the ticking isn’t all that loud.

What else could it be?
I just don’t want it to progress as I drive the car, I’d like to see if I could handle it and get back to knowing my car is in awesome health.

Help me you geniuses.

So it’s ticking engine noise or power train noise?

Would be cool if we knew what kindof car and motor it was too!

Hahaha, I’m sorry.
I just copied in pasted in numerous forums.
92 Nissan 240SX, KA24DE.

If my ears do not deceive me, it’s in the engine.

Its a very common KA problem. The timing chain has 3 guides. top, upper and bottom. The chain is bumping and rubbing on the top or the upper or both. I have been looking for the write up I found once to fix it but I cant seem to find it. I think it is on Nicoclub.com but the tech pages are down.
The guides are useless and can be removed. Make sure you leave in the bottom guide and the tensioner.

Can I get a second that??

ya timing chain guides common problem the the ka

Fixing this problem is easy, get an engine swap, that’ll also solve the common problem of an underpowered vehicle. har har, i kid, do what wannaskyline said, or take it to someone who knows how.

They are not usless and keep the chain tight. Without the guides the timing chain has slack and will, over time, grind down the cover and then you will have anti freeze all over the place. If it is your timing chain, you will notice the noise more when you start up your car and after long periods of driving. It is a much different sound than your lifters. The noise will also get louder over time.

Try putting more oil in (past the fill line) to quite the sound. This is only a quick fix. What I would do is if it is your chain that you are hearing, drive it till it breaks and have a sr ready. Its not worth fixing because of the time/ money it takes to get in there. I didnt read this whole thread but im sure its the one wannaskyline was talking about. In first diagram, # 15 is the one that broke on me and is the one that usually ppl have to replace.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=104485

Hope it helps. Moral of the story is, If its the timing chain, live with the sound and drive it till it dies and replace the engine. If its the lifters, put a little more oil in and caller a day. AFAIK this is also called the Ka tick and you will get used to it and its nothing to be alarmed…just maybe keep the high reving to a min.

EDIT: if you cant tell the difference, take the oil pan off and if there are a bunch of black plastic pieces in the pan, its your guide. Or you can go take it to a mechanic and he should be able to tell the difference.

Lol pfft, I drove the living piss outta my ka, with a loud ass ka tick.
pulled the motor, and nothing was damaged when i tore the motor apart

This is actually the one i was looking for.
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=105618

Hope this helps. Its step by step.

Doesnt the tensioner keep it tight? The guides just stop the chain from smacking the cover and what not in the case of the chain streching and becoming loose. Im sure Nissan released a bulletin deleting the guides. But I think they have replaced it with a diffenent guide.

LETS JUST SAY, IF YOU’RE NOT HEARING THAT SOUND FROM THE ENGINE, THEN SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOUR KA…jus kidding