Timing Chain Guide

I have a noise coming from my KA which I have come to understand is the timing chain guide, I just am curious as to how quickly I should fix this problem as I am currently having a cash flow problem. Can I leave it for a month or two or is it an ASAP job?

May be a Noob question but I have to ask anyway…

It really depends.

If it sounds like the chain is lightly nicking the guide then just get to it when you can. If it sounds more serious then you might want to get right on it, because there have been instances of the chain chewing through the guide (which ends up in the oil pan).

Also there are potentially two guides you’ll want to remove. The more common upper timing chain guide (bulletin from Nissan on this) but also the side guide. I have both removed on my DOHC and have never heard any rattle.

If you can, remove the valve cover, unscrew the two bolts holding the guide in. Then remove it and replace the valve cover, and at least you’ll have the upper one done (its really rather simple).

Good luck.

see I just did the valve cover gasket and i don’t want to replace the gasket again plus where exactly is this guide what does it look like? Once again sorry for the NOOB question but this is all new to me.

so the guide is not nessasary is what your saying?

http://i6.tinypic.com/16m7yba.gif

okie thanks for that now moving on, timing chain guide off noise still there and now she won’t stay running…WTF

Double-check anything you touched - valve cover tight & sealed, spark plug wires, possibly fuel rail/cover etc.

Also listen very closely to where the sound is coming from. It may be the side guide inside the front cover if it’s still the chain making noise. If it still sounds like it’s coming from under the valve cover, then it may in fact have been noisy lifters or something else all along perhaps.

If all else fails, you may have a timing chain tension problem, and if so, probably caused by a faulty/seizing tensioner.

Good luck.