DOHC Owners TSB Poll

I hear and keep reading that the “Upper Timing Chain Guide” on the DOHC KA24DE’s is an unnecessary part - in fact requiring removal as per a Nissan technical service bulletin.

So who’s removed it and who’s got still got it?

I’m curious…thanks.

just get rid of it. so easy to do and now you dont have to worry about it cracking and falling in your engine

I took mine out around 145KM but the rattle is still there and its only from
the chain slapping around in the inside.
FYI

http://240sx.cubicdesign.com/images/2003/july6/camgears.jpg

damn i have the stupid timing chain rattle too, i dont know if the guide has been removed though. But it sounds like the engine is gonna break sometimes. :S

^^^^

Don’t worrt to much about it man. It will take an awfull lot for your chain to break. It’s metal after all :lol: .

Seriously though it’s not to big a deal. I think almost everyone here has had the rattle at one point or another. If your really that worried, just get it changed but it’s not gona be cheap.

As for this guide thing, yeah I’ve heard it does’nt cause any damage and I’m considering doing it my self. I’ll prob remove it when I change my valve cover.

I think the idea of removing the upper guide is that is does NOT make it into other vital parts of the engine, SO THAT nothing bad happens (the chain may eventually eat into it/break it off due to increased chain slack over time).

Just hope the lower guide doesn’t break, as it tends to do. That one’s a BYTCH to get at on the DEs.

i heard of ppl removing the right side guide. anyone do that

Yes, Remove both upper and right side (looking at the front of the engine)

chains are for suckers

i’ll agree on that one.

i’ll agree on that one.[/quote]

haha, hopefully they dont break now :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a KA24E timing chain kit for anyone who is interested. :wink:

The right side guide was the problem with the SOHC motor’s. It was fixed in the DOHC but removal is recommended.

Thanks for all the good stuff guys…

But what’s with the 5 who voted to willfully leave it there? Reasoning?

There probabley going on the old saying, “If it’s aint broke don’t fix it!” :lol:

i took mine off my old ka a few years ago, took a thrashin and still goin strong

one day ill have a fun kat

For those who might be wondering about doing this…

I took the upper guide off the other day. Totally straight-forward job. Totally fixed the very very minor 3-second quiet rattling i’d hear sometimes from the front of the valve cover. Sure enough, there was signs that the chain was just reaching the point where it had started scraping the guide…

When tightening the valve cover bolts don’t forget to use 7-11 ft lbs. and do them in order.

Glad to have that thing out of my engine. She purrs. :thumright:

they are stupid.