ka24e chain issues

“edited”

Now to the next question. Recently i’ve been hearing some sounds coming from my engine so i decided to take of my valve cover to see what it was. Surpise Surpise! Like most 240sx on this board, It’s the chain guides. The side guide seems like it’s broken and keeps swinging against the side of the head. I also noticed the chains is very loose. I mean i can lift it off 5-6 teeths off the gear. Anyone know how much tension should be on the chain? Now i plan on just removing the side guides for the time being but i was doing some research and found out that the guides can not be remove like the dohc. Any thoughts on that? I mean why can you remove the guides on the dohc but not the sohc.

Btw anyone have the fsm for the 89-90 ka24e? All the links on the FAQ seems to be dead.

yea they will not worky

top feed v.s. side feed

Kae=top feed

Kade= side feed

wow that was quick! thanks guys. Hey i still need a fsm for the ka24e.

nobody knows?

You cannot remove side guides on the sohc. Sounds like the your timing chain is in bad shape.

Only remedy to this situation is changing the chain,guides and tensioner now. If you keep driving with it banging against the timing cover you’ll eventually open up a whole in the coolant passage that runs through the cover.

Andrew.

could the side guide do that. I mean break the timming cover? I thought they were made of plastic?

NO the CHAIN is loose because the guide isnt pressing on it = bangs against side of timing cover, its only a matter of time until it rubs through your timing cover and when your oil mixes with coolant byebye to your motor

you cannot remove the guides like on a de, these are not just ‘guides’ these are hydraulically pressured guides that tighten your chain when your motor is running, the engine cannot last without them

its better to fix it now before oil and coolant mix

can i just replaced the guide with a new one or is there anyway to adjust the guide so that it’s pressed on the chain?

replace it. Do the chain and tensioner while your at it

Andrew.

ok fine i guess i’ll replaced it. Can some one send me a link on the ka24e fsm pls!!!