Timing Belt Noise???

Stock 1993 240LE 68klms…ticking/rattling type noise from top front of engine. I initially thought it might be the water pump but I ruled it out by using a hose to listen and isolate the sound. It is most prevelant from the front end of the head and near the rubber plug in front of the driver side cam shaft. It is loudest when the engine is first started but continues. It doesn’t sound “Life Threatening” but I am concerned. I’d appreciate any comments…
gl869

Timingchain hitting the timing chain guard, normal issue.

I took my valve cover off to remove it and it already ripped it off and was under the chain hahah glad i oopened her up.

The engine has a chain not a belt???/…should the cover be taken off and increase the clearance by filing something down a bit??

NO NO NO,just take the valve cover off,remove the upper chain guide and the noise should go away!,if it doesn’t then it’s your lower guide inside the upper timing cover,you have to remove the distributor to do this,make sure you mark the rotor and mark on the engine were it came off as well.
I had to do this as well on my 95,but be sure your tensioner is holding OK while your in there,or ust replace it to be safe
Good luck!
DO NOT FILE ANYTHING BRO

I thought you meant it needed clearance from a tab or casting lobe or whatever on the inside of the cover…well if there is a little extra slack in the chain it sounds like maybe the tensioner has weaken a bit. I’ll go as far as taking the valve cover off and look at the topchain guide.
Thanks for you input…

I just fixed that mettallic rapping noise on my SR… timing chain guide for sure. Rip that shit out before it causes some real damage (Y)

nissan put out a tsb a long time ago saying to remove the guide ne ways as its not needed and just causes problems. mine was doing the same thing before i pulled the motor

Hey guys…thanks for the help…I downloaded the NICOClub link and simply followed the instructions…got along fine…removed 2 guides and rattle is gone.
Gord

You need to take both the lower and the upper timing guide off. If you get lazy and only do the top it will still rattle. (I have done this, trust me)

Just do both, saves you lots of time in the end.