S13 sr20det loud ticking noise.

Hi guys,

Just need some help, my buddy has a s13 sr20 blacktop motor he just swapped into his coupe. Motor was running in another car before with no problems, my buddy got the motor, get into the car running fine for a couple of hours, he took it around the block a couple of times with no problems, but as he was pulling into the driveway the ticking started happening, we think its coming from the head.

What we have done so far:

• Swapped in 2 lifters we thought where making the sound - didnt help

• Pulled out the lifters and bled them all - still nothing

• Pulled the oil pan - oil was clean with no shavings or any thing that didn’t look like it belonged.

any ideas what it could be? We were thinking of pulling the motor and inspecting the bottom end as a last resort, but wanted to get other opinions first.

thanks

Dirty Lifterr get some motul engine cleaner with the oil change… stuff works!

I have pulled all the lifters, submerged in oil, and plunged them till there was no air left. This is starting to make me soooo angry, hense my for sale thread :slight_smile:

happened to my old SR when i used oil that was too thick. when i changed the oil to a thinner one, it went away.

But the noise was not there before. Randomly out of NOWHERE, wasnt beating on it or anything, pulling into the driveway it just happened. Im running 10w30 mobil 1.

What if it’s NOT lifter related?

Thats what im trying to figure out. If there is any other issues people run into i would love to know. Im 99% sure its not bottom end as I have checked many things that usually show that its bottom end, and I dont believe it is

Well i dunno i had this exact noise and used the engine cleaner…have never heard a noise since, it could be one of your shims worn down too check those out.

check exhaust gasket/cracked runner if you’ve got an ebay/megan/bings manifold

nvm, just watched your video thats definitely a mechanical ticking.

spun rod? or is it to consistent?

very consistent. Im going to do what Lucas said and grab some heavy oil today.

I put in rotella 15w40 today, the sound went away for roughly 30 seconds, and came right back. :frowning:

sounds like a connecting rod, try unplugging the coil packs one at a time and see if the noise goes away or quiets down.

Tried that already and didnt change a thing. When I changed oil there was no shavings in the oil, the noise REALLY sounds like its in the head.

i wonder if its something in the way of the timing chain that came loose?

that doesn’t sound like a spun rod at all ! check the chain tensioner… although i think it’s a bad lifter/ lifters…

First…i’d check all the belt driven acessories. Just spin them by hand and see if any think ticks or get hung up. Then I’d check the chain and accosiated components. You say that the motor was just swapped? Check the Bolts that hold the pressure plate on. If you forget to tighten one, it will come out in about 5km and start hitting the tranny. Next to that…start looking at the engine.

Do you still have the upper chain guide in? Take it out and check it for wear. I can’t watch the video right now to hear it but try that. If you see wear on the upper guide, just take it out.

sounds like a bent rod

dont ask me how i know

turn the engine by hand. note if there is a resistance anywhere in the rotation

We were able to turn the engine by hand with no resistance.